Pics and video from the 2nd annual Bowie Memorial Hammer-in! Photo intensive, of course.

Alan Longmire

I was too busy keeping the plates spinning behind the scenes to get many pics, but Bill Armstrong kindly handed me a card from his camera yesterday as he was leaving.  It only covers through Saturday.  He promised to get me the other card with the cutting competition stills and video as soon as he edits it.

Around 7:30 Friday morning, the chuck wagon cooks fired up the sausage, bacon, biscuits, and gravy. Left to right, that's Robin Lynch, Tom (or Dave, he answers to either), and Bobby Isley.  Tom and Bobby were the cooks.  

b1.jpg

It smelled as good as it looks...

b2.jpg

At 10 AM we opened the hammer-in with Robin Lynch demonstrating basic blacksmithing techniques.  He does this for a living, and it's always good for knife folks to see what a really good smith can do with basic tools.

b3.jpg

In the meantime, Elizabeth Belz, metal shop supervisor at the John C. Campbell Folk School and southeastern representative of the Society of Inclusive Blacksmiths had arrived and set up her booth.  The Folk School is THE place for craft in the southeastern United States, and the SIB is a new and very worthwhile organization dedicated to smithing for all.  Check them out!

b4.jpg

Robin at work. Check out those matching scrolled hooks!

b5.jpg

Inside the pavilion, NC Tool had set up that morning.

b6.jpg

They sold a lot of tongs!  Across the floor was Sara Waterman of Mama's Got Wood, her stabilized wood business.

b7.jpg

The sparkly stuff in the blue resin on those live-edge blocks is moon-meteorite dust!  Down the wall from Sara was a guy whose name escapes me who was selling Native American flutes, bows, and wooden signs.  Not sure how he fit in with the theme, but he sold some bows!

b8.jpg

While Bill was taking those pics inside, Robin had finished the fancy S-hook.

b9.jpg

While the State of Franklin Blacksmith's Guild president and fellow plate-spinner Kurt Krieger was out directing parking in the upper field.

b10.jpg

More to come, we're only up to 11 AM Friday...

• Like 3

Over at the forge, Robin is making a lid-lifter for one of the dutch ovens with the assistance of Jeff Bush:

b11.jpg

The completed product:

b12.jpg

During the break between demos, this guy wandered by...

b13.jpg

And then this sketchy-looking character took the forge. :unsure:

b14.jpg

Hint: That's me.  I'm the sketchy-looking character.

• Like 3

Looks like a great event!  Too bad it's on the other side of the country.:(
At least we in the PNW have Swaptoberfest to look forward to.  Hoping it's not too wet this year.
Thanks for sharing.

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Looks like a great time.
You look much younger in your avatar......but much more impressive at the forge!

What did you make?

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Thanks, Michael!  Always good to see you.

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You look much younger in your avatar...

That's because I was about fifteen or sixteen years younger when that picture was taken! :lol:  Maybe more, I'll have to check the date.  Anyway, I was forging a tomahawk head, my usual demo.  I'll post Bill's shots of that later today.

And back to Friday afternoon!  Here I am holding up the preform of the wrapped hawk head.

b15.jpg

Getting assistance from Brendan Bohannon of Yalhalla Forge to hot-cut the 1084 bit:

b16.jpg

Obligatory welding shot:

b17.jpg

And the finished head.

b18.jpg

• Like 2

That was a wrap for demonstrations on Friday.  

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am that BOTH of the grinder makers I asked came to the event!  Here's Allen Poe of AMK Tactical setting up:

amk.jpg

If you've never checked him out, it's worthwhile.  He's an automation engineer, and it's all about efficiency and tool-free adjustments.  His 2x72 has a rotating gizmo like the old Wilton Square Wheel, but better designed.  Pull a lever, then a plunger, and you can rotate the platen backwards and put a 12" serrated wheel in position.  The system is so well set up that it doesn't change your tracking when you do that.  You can get other wheel sizes too.  The disk grinder Mk. II (I have the Mk. I) is also on a rotating mount.  Turn a level and pull a pin, it rotates from horizontal to vertical!  Mr. Poe was also nice enough to donate a disk grinder to the guild as a fundraising item.  We raffled it off Saturday.

On the other side of the room, Andrew from Beaumont (KMG) filled a table with goodies as well.

kmg.jpg

He brought several KMG classics, two KMG-TX tilting grinders, and a pile of accessories.  I left with an articulated tool rest.  I was initially worried there might be friction between the two grinder guys, but by the end of the event they were best buddies. B)

• Like 1

On Saturday morning, we began with Jason Knight, who shows he can also look kind of sketchy...

b19.jpg

He forged a blade from 1084.

Pointing the bar:

b20.jpg

An appreciative crowd:

b21.jpg

Explanations:

b22.jpg

And cutting it off after straightening in the vise.

b23.jpg

I was up the hill doing parking and registration, so I'm glad Bill got these shots!

• Like 2

Next, Bill Wiggins ground that same blade, at Jason's request.  They have a running gag about how Jason forges too many curves in the profile, and Bill grinds 'em flat.

b24.jpg

Note that AMK 2x72, kindly offered for our demonstrators' use by Mr. Poe!

Wiggins complains about Jason's profile...

b25.jpg

Flattening on the platen:

b26.jpg

And a better view of the AMK machine in use while Wiggins makes sparks.

b27.jpg

• Like 2

Next, lunch and Iron in the Hat!

One of the two rows of goodies up for a $1 ticket each:

b29.jpg

How many tickets do you want?

b28.jpg

The drawing went well, but no pics of that since everyone was concentrating on trying to win something.  I got one of the things I wanted, a Southern-style banded powder horn by Dwight Moore (beside the hawk in Michael's pics above), and the tomahawk I donated was won by a very happy Mr. Poe of AMK, which, combined with his sales, ensured he's eager to come back next year.

And lunch is always good.  Friday we had Mrs. Lynch's Shadtown Stew, a concoction of ham, collards, potatoes, onions, and crowder peas in a chicken stock with cornbread.  AMAZING stuff!  Saturday it was barbeque pork sandwiches, slaw, or beef sloppy joes.  The Chuck Wagon crew had soup beans and cornbread as well.

Johnny and son dishing up sandwiches:  

b30.jpg

The cook:

b31.jpg

The servers:

b32.jpg

• Like 1

After lunch and Iron in the Hat,  Wiggins and Burt Foster teamed up to heat treat the blade that Jason forged and Wiggins ground that morning (it was in Iron in the Hat, with the understanding it would be HT'd afterwards).

Burt explaining the process as Wiggins mans the forge:

b33.jpg

The magnet was used while grinding, not for checking the steel. ;)

Obligatory flaming quench oil:

b34.jpg

Then, John Young did a stock-removal-only blade from 80CrV2 using a KMG-TX grinder that Beaumont Metal Works kindly offered for demonstrators in addition to the AMK.  John wanted to use an 8" wheel, and the KMG had one already mounted while the AMK did not, plus Mr. Poe had to leave around 4 and took the other grinder with him.

Important announcement here:  Back in June I had a written commitment from Supergrit Abrasives to send three dozen assorted belts as a sponsored donation to the hammer-in.  In July I asked about them. No answer.  I asked every week until right before the hammer-in, no answer.  So they did not, in fact, sponsor us.  Phooey.

On the other hand, Andrew from KMG has a relationship with Preferred Abrasives and Allen from AMK has one with Combat Abrasives, BOTH of which provided ample belts and disks.  I know who I'll be buying belts from...

Making sparks.  Ignore that goofball behind the grinder...

b35.jpg

John talks angles:

b36.jpg

The smoke is from the chuck wagon fires, not the grinder, but it looks cool:

b37.jpg

Meanwhile, in the pavilion Mark Zelasky of Knife World Books and Knife! magazine was giving a presentation on California knives.  He had original examples on hand, but requested no photos on the net, so here's what we have:

b38.jpg

b39.jpg

Outside, John's still grinding.  Such is the way with pure stock removal.

b40.jpg

Thus ended Saturday.

• Like 2

Sunday!  Much smaller crowd, but we didn't stop.  Lost the grinders too.  Still didn't stop.  Talked Lance Ellis into doing a tongmaking demo, since he's the best tongmaker we have in the guild.  He decided to replicate Sam Salvati's design for blade tongs, having never made them before.  Interesting choice, but he did it well, which just shows he's got the skills.  As he should, he teaches classes at John C. Campbell!

Looking at Sam's set:

b41.jpg

Forging from 1/2" square:

b42.jpg

Special bonus video from Mike Crenshaw of Brenden striking for Lance!

And the finished product.  Overestimated the length for the looped ends, but that's an easy fix and not bad for making something for the first time in front of an audience.

b43.jpg 

That concludes the pics I have access to, at least until Bill sends me the card with the cutting competition pics.  I'm looking forward to that!

Again, if anyone else has pics, please post them.  The more the better!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Andrew from KMG has a relationship with Preferred Abrasives

Preferred sells the Firestorm Belts. Very recommendable.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith