Going full-time aka

Gerhard Gerber

Soon to be unemployed.

At my age and this time and place not a good thing, but there's a good argument I'm several years overdue for making a change, even if that means starting over, from the bottom.

I have zero hope that the knives can replace even a fraction of my income, but at least starting 1 December I have something to wake up for and keep me busy until I find work again.

I've really neglected the business and marketing side of knife making, as @Joshua States pointed out I'm not even doing Instagram right :lol:
I'll work on that and just make as many knives as possible in the mean time.

Sorry to hear that, Gerhard. I've been through that recently, too.  But it is nice waking up each day to something you want to do instead of have to do.  

I just hope your concerns about finances don't last as long as mine did. 

• Thanks 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Thanks Billy, I'm good for a few months.
Little over a year ago the doc that removed my gallbladder was rather insistent I should find other work, my closest friends feel the same, that despite my age and the political and economic realities locally.

Will be a struggle to find work, income will be considerably less, but if I can find the right job that doesn't matter.

I had a realization few weeks ago, sold two knives at a local market, and one was a feel-good sale, grandpa buying a knife for his grandson.

Driving home I did the math and realised if I could repeat those sales 5 or 6 times a month I'll basically have my normal income back, and I'll feel this happy 5 or 6 times a month........something that can most definitely not be said about my current job.
Even asked ChatGPT "should you quit your job if your direct superior is a diagnosed sociopath", guess what it said :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best of luck!

On 10/9/2023 at 3:05 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

Soon to be unemployed.

At my age and this time and place not a good thing, but there's a good argument I'm several years overdue for making a change, even if that means starting over, from the bottom.Discoid lupus erythematosusprettykkittykatDiscoid lupus erythematosusprettykkittykatprettykkittykat

I have zero hope that the knives can replace even a fraction of my income, but at least starting 1 December I 800gprettykkittykat something to wake up for and keep me busy until I find work again.

I've really neglected the business and marketing side of yupknife makin3rg, as @Joshua States pointed out I'm not eve333 re 33 ER we3n doing Instagram right :lol:
I'll work on that and 500x500 just make as 33e3399w93 knives as possible in the mean time.

222222222e2ww2w23 w 2

Really sorry to hear about the forced change, although change itself, especially in a direction that gives back to sanity and fulfilment (even if not strictly financially...) can be a huge blessing. I drifted towards full time ironwork a few years ago and although I wouldn't call it regular or predictable income by any means, it has also opened up a tremendous number of opportunities I never would have otherwise found. There are many days where I'm forced to take on small fabrication or machining projects but that's more a product of my workspace than anything else. Between ironwork (more blacksmithing but also blades), teaching, fab, and machining it keeps me busy. It's been a huge learning experience and development in skills I wouldn't otherwise have had a reason or time to pursue. I guess what I'm trying to say is keeping my mind open and making connections that lead to strange and wonderful projects has been interesting, fulfilling, and often exciting. When I don't have any particular projects or commissions, I spend a lot of time thinking through processes or developing tools to streamline production work or make things more repeatable. Time investment into workflow is something that I found difficult as a hobbyist but now relish. Already it's returned more time later down the line by an order of magnitude than I put into it. Best of luck, and try not to dwell too much on the downs and really take inspiration from the good times that are near on the horizon!

John

• Thanks 1

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Thank John & John B)

I was expecting it to feel like a great weight has been lifted, that instant relief didn't come, but the changes I experienced during last week removed any doubt if this was the right move.

Sure enough I've given myself a new source of stress, just did my budget, but this must be a healthier type of stress because I'm sleeping better, feeling better.

I have to admit I'm disgusted, I have nothing to shows for years of good work, but I understand that is the nature of the beast.

I feel very strongly that it's not about finding other employment, I need to do something more worthwhile with my life, or what's left of it.

• Like 2