Waterbuffalo horn

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

On some original finds, they used annoyingly large pieces of horn. For example the Aachen seax (AKA the "Hunting knife of Charlemagne), has a solid horn handle 22cm in length. Another example is a bronze age rapier, found with a horn hilt that requires a pretty wide and thick piece of solid horn. Sourcing these pieces from modern cow horn is pretty much a lost cause, as they have very small solid parts in their horns. For years I've not been able to find anything larger then 3cm thick, and 10cm long. However, Indian water buffalo does come with very large solid tips. But finding large pieces is still really difficult. I already have a few pieces which I was fortunate to find recently, but they need to be straightened. But this piece is already straight for 3/4th of the length. And at 40cm long, that is 30cm of straight horn suitable for a seax hilt, and then still enough left in the tip to make a bronze rapier hilt! I don't plan to make those any time soon, but having this in my material stock certainly does open up such possibilities.

20231110_215349.jpg

89959863_o.jpg

#8 1 cropped.jpg

• Like 1

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

Too bad the Indian water buffalo horn is usually opaque black, or black with white streaks. Not that I'm not jealous of that chunk! :lol:  I wonder if aurochs horn was blonde like good modern cow horn?  That could explain some of those ancient huge horn finds.  Too bad they're extinct. 

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Too bad the Indian water buffalo horn is usually opaque black, or black with white streaks. Not that I'm not jealous of that chunk! :lol:  I wonder if aurochs horn was blonde like good modern cow horn?  That could explain some of those ancient huge horn finds.  Too bad they're extinct. 

At least ancient horn artifacts often seem to have been blonde horn originally. Some are too dark now to be sure. But quite a few pieces still have some of the lighter color visible, or at least where it's damaged.

• Like 1

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking