"talking" nazel

daryl meier

Just curious if anyone else has noticed their nazel making comments while running.

The last couple days I have been forging 3/4 sq stock down to 3/8 sq, and my 3b seems to be saying "hit it hit it hit it" while idling and then says "piddley piddley piddley" when I'm hammering.

Daryl-

I think a damascus icon such as yourself is nearly REQUIRED to own a Nazel... but most of us little knife peons can only dream :notworthy:

There's a fella near here with a 3B, and I sure would love to figure out how to talk him out of it. Plus it would be a good idea to have some money for it I suppose ;)

-Nick-

http://www.wheelerknives.com

My 50 lbs Star goes "Eeeeeck," when I ask it to work and when I tromp on the pedal it reminds me of mattress springs in a cheap hotel. Slap it, slap it good. No Nazel envy here though. :)

Don Fogg

The natural tendency of human beings seems to be to attach words to the rythym and songs are born. The hammer dance is a powerful beat to dance to. What's the rest of the verses Daryl? :D

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

The natural tendency of human beings seems to be to attach words to the rythym and songs are born.  The hammer dance is a powerful beat to dance to.  What's the rest of the verses Daryl?  :D

38976[/snapback]

Mike: At my age, the memmory is not so good. All that I can bring to mind at the moment are "hit it hit it hit it" , "get it get it get it" , and some times "money money money" when the machine is idling. When I'm hammering I usually don't pay any attention to the hammer rhythm. The old Nazel literature indicated that it takes more electric energy to do light work than heavy work. I guess that is why the hammer was saying "piddely piddely piddely" yesterday while I was doing light work.

Don: But this was before the evening wine session.

Mike Blue's Sahindler was saying "kroll-kroll-kroll-kroll-kroll" all weekend long....

I use a friend's 25# LG alot...it's like a crazy little screwy-eyed hyper terrier that goes "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" when you light it up.... it's kinda like some sort of extreme sport or something breaking stuff down on it....

I watched Nathan Robinson forge some decent stock on John Adams' 500 pound little giant back in the fall... I kept getting definitive images of a little old lady smacking the shit outta somebody with her brick-loaded purse....

What's your rolling mill say Daryl ?

"... feeed me....FEEEEED MEEE GRAMPA....."

:lol:

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Just curious if anyone else has noticed their nazel making comments while running.

The last couple days I have been forging 3/4 sq stock down to 3/8 sq, and my 3b seems to be saying "hit it hit it hit it" while idling and then says "piddley piddley piddley" when I'm hammering.

38944[/snapback]

Grandpa,

Check the air leaks around the ram and the ol levels. The 1B I used in Florida would have different sounds when the temps changed and also when it was starved for oil......or should I say when it was not dripping oil on me, the work and the general shop space.

Other than that it may be the tup hitting the top of the ram housing on the up stroke (though this would not be likely with the short blows as it is not returning to the top after each). If it is this then you need new seals to keep the return stroke from blowing through the top of the tup.......in a few years.

Or lose die block

OR

you just hearing things

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

A beautiful machine can be seen to have character and personality, I know lots of folks who relate to their vehicles this way or use to before all the computers took over.

Listening to the sounds and watching the motion can not only portend a failure, it can express happiness as in a well oiled machine.

When you work with tools all your life, you learn to take pleasure in them. Daryl studies these things.

Don Fogg

• 5 years later...

It says it wants to live at my place.

Excellent necropost Ric! It's always good to remember old pictures of hammers we all envy... :)

Has anybody spoken to Mr. Meier of late? How's he doing? I haven't seen him since Blade in 2008.

-d

Several of us saw him last summer. He was in fine fettle. He has a little sample of a new pattern he should show off...

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

I would be envious if one of these puppies would fit through my shop door. The curse of our shop is that we have good height and space inside but smallish doors to get in... not much of a problem for even the most fantastical of blades, but definitely an issue for the larger ironwork projects.

Our 110lb Saymak (nicknamed "Smacky") doesn't say much, but the idling rhythm often has us doing rain dances (our white man version of them at least) around the shop. I remember watching demos on the Chambersburg (350lb, I think) that was set up years ago at the ABANA conference in Ashville, NC. I don't remember any words, but I'll never forget the beat coming right up through the risers.

Peter

Excellent necropost Ric! It's always good to remember old pictures of hammers we all envy... :)

Has anybody spoken to Mr. Meier of late? How's he doing? I haven't seen him since Blade in 2008.

-d

I talked to Hank the other day and he said Daryl was doing good and in good spirits

Don Hanson lll My Webpage