Need some ideas for my press

I kinda graunched the upper die holder on my H  style press.  It's basically 2 facing "C" channels, and one clipped a bottom die and now it's bent.  To fix it I think I need to dismount the whole slider block (20 bolts, sigh), heat the piece with a torch and try and beat it back into shape, or, cut that side off and rebuild it completely.  If I'm going to go to that much trouble ( the slider has got to weigh 75lbs) is there a better setup?  Any pictures of existing setups would help me a lot.

I've never been completely happy with this setup, top dies are a struggle to get in and out, particularly as they get warm, so if there is a better design, I would like to know about it.

Thanks

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

The right side is where the issue is

IMG_20240130_142753599 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20240130_142840169 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20240130_142756009 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20240130_142808094 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20240130_142812863 (Medium).jpg

I'm wondering if a die holder setup like this might work

OIP (Medium).jpg

I said that.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff , hard to tell from the pic.....are those slots tapered front to back ? the one pic looks like they might be.... I have a similar slots on mine that are tapered and they pop right out with the tap of a hammer from the back......I don't mean the slots get thinner towards the back but the width  between them gets narrower ....

I think a tapered fit is a stronger register for  the same position  than those fullering dies would be ......here's a pic of mine.....The die is half way into the position and you can see the gap in the plate and the slot.........yours are probably similar .......some times I have to adjust the flatness of the plate so the center does not rub ..press die.jpeg 

Think I would probably just carefully heat it in position with a rosebud and bend it back into shape by driving in a drift of the correct size.  With all that thermal mass in the bracket I suspect you could get the offending section heated before the rest of the assembly gets too hot.  Might be a problem if you have high density plastic guides though.

No plastic, steel on steel with a bunch of grease.  I have acquired a "T" slot plate and my thought is to fix that to the slider as the top die holder.  All of the top dies would have slots in the base plate and would slide onto a pair of "T" bolts.  If I can find another one, I may put that on the bottom plate and do the same thing for the bottom dies.

g

I said that.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

Grant Sarver