Current PAPR comparisons?

Eric Estlund

I searched, and most discussion predates some of the units out there. I've narrowed in on a few top tier units, and wondering if anyone has any comparitive experience with different set ups.

3m, RPB and Optrel all have helmet based units that look great, have support and work with a beard. Optrel also has the new Swiss Air mask system that wirks under face shield, welding hoods, etc.

I suspect they all do the job, but I'm interested in quirks, build quality etc to differentiate.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I can only speak about my 3m full-face with chin-mounted blower, this one.  It's excellent quality, as in full-blown professional kit.  My only complaints with it are that it'll pull the corners of your beard at your earlobes if you don't trim it short there, and it'll cause neck strain if worn too long leaning over the grinder. That chin-mounted filter and blower motor gets heavy!  The helmet-mount types with the blower at the waist are better for that, but cost about two to three times more than mine.

Whichever setup you go for, search by individual component part numbers.  You can usually put together a kit far cheaper that way.  Buy visor/helmet one place, blower motor another, then batteries, hoses, and so on.  

I must say, that Optrel Swiss Air unit looks sweet!

• Like 1

Only experience I have is what we issue at work. 3M Speedglas. I like it in the summer, freezes my face in the winter and don't fart. We also have an attachment and filter for supplied air since we weld inside of tanks.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I cant emphasize enough how much I recommend a papr. Its so much better than a dust or cartridge mask. I feel better, work better, and just might live longer.

With this one I'd recommend ear pro since the air line is right under your ear, but I always have earbuds at a minimum anyway.20240325_132502.jpg

Edited by Eric Estlund
  • Like 3