PBS is recycling a BBC series of Beowulf..... it was made in 2016 so many you have probably seen it.... I have not...... Beowulf was required reading in English class  when I went to highscool....The Old English was a pediment to my understanding the story.... I only remember something about wolves and the moor's .....I think the BBC series is probably been enhanced for TV but because I didn't understand the story I confess my ignorance.... The BBC series is so cool..... with fantasy creatures and real looking weapons ...... I would have eaten in up when I was 16 if I could have parsed the Old English .... Smelters.....Bladesmiths'.... the charcoal suppliers demanding better pay......   I am really enjoying it now that I am older.....  

Have any of you who loved reading the story watched this series? What do you think? How different is the written verse from the series? I should probably go back and read the original....

I haven't seen the BBC series, but if you want to reread it, get this version: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/beowulf_unknown/249753/item/5394050/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=high_vol_midlist_standard_shopping_customer_acquisition&utm_adgroup=&utm_term=&utm_content=666157863328&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoKeuBhCoARIsAB4WxtdG3wG0es_TpGAZR1MHOYUz7yAk83ZcjfLCN-AZCejgbZ8VRXHyrYIaAo0BEALw_wcB#idiq=5394050&edition=2384314

Irish epic poet Seamus Heaney translated it into contemporary (to us) verse. In this edition, you get the left hand page in modern English, with the right hand page in the original old English.  Then you need to watch this:

Dude performs it in Old English, as a bard, using a harp based on the one found in Mound 1 at Sutton Hoo.  It takes a while to get going, but it ends up being quite moving.  Performance starts at 1:40.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Alan, a friend lent me a version that had the original text on the left page and the translated on the opposite right hand page.... opposite of the one you suggested......I so wish I had read it first before watching the BBC version...... and I know better...... while I was reading the translated version I was constantly bothered by the version I saw before reading it.... I prefer my own imagination to some movie mogul's interpretation.....and worse ,stuff that I initially thought looked real upon closer inspection turned out to be phoney ...... Like modern industrial welded chain.....