Latest veneer scabbard

Hello everyone, 

I am back to share my latest scabbard, which I made for the newest addition to my collection. Unfortunately I forgot to take any WIP pictures, so this is only the final stuff. 

IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:59.jpg

The sword is a custom build by Jimbo Curry that I acquired second hand here in the UK. As far as I know, the blade is from the Windlass Arbedo and the guard is from the A&A Black Prince Sword. For the pommel, I am a bit unsure, but I have seen similar ones around, including on the Albion Discerner (although I don't think that's the one, might be a custom job). 

IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:59.jpg IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:28.jpg

Now for the scabbard: This is a felt lined veneer core reinforced with a linen wrap and then wrapped in leather and sewn in the back. The chape is a wonderful design from Matt JR Lewis and made by Matt Bayley from Bayley Heritage Castings. Finally the belt fittings are from Celtic Web Merchant. The tooling is all my own design, although I was inspired by Peter Johnsson's acanthus tendrils design and method (link). 

IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:09:08.jpg IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:50.jpg

IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:09:02.jpg IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:44.jpg

Still a lot of room for improvement, especially on the paint job, but I learned a lot with this one and can't wait to jump onto the next one! 

Hope you all enjoyed it! 

IMAGE 2024-02-26 09:08:55.jpg

• Like 8

On 2/27/2024 at 12:31 AM, Carlos Lara said:

Looks gorgeous. Love the red on black, and the fineness of the texture on the leather.

Thank you Carlos! Yes I was initially going to do all black, but I also had some red dye that I needed to use and thought that the red belts would provide a nice contrast and framing for the sigil. Glad you like it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well done with the tooling!

• Like 1

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....

- Benjamin Franklin