Question: You Tube or No?

JPH

Hello!!

Since I am still laying low for the next few weeks while I recover from that horrid infection that almost killed me and the resulting surgery..I have been speaking with various and sundry folks I know and they are pressuring me to start doing  You Tube videos about how I do things.  Granted I do most things differently than 99% of other people cause well..I just do it that way.  I am also they type of person that looks to find the simplest way (mostly) to do something, like fluting grips..I just look at it and start cutting flutes...But be that as it may.. 

What I am trying to get to is this..there are literally thousands and thousands of people doing this sort of stuff already and honestly who would want to watch an olde fart like me do anything when just about everything has been covered already 100 times over? I mean is it really "worth it" for me to one: find out HOW to even record anything... two: get the equipment once I figure out what is needed.. Three..finding someone who can record the various things and edit..Plus all the other stuff like how to post stuff and SLTT... I am really lost in all of this.. So...

Anyway...what I am asking is should I do this or is it just better to let it all be done by folks who already know how to do this You Tube thing? I do not think that there would be any interest at all as I am not the "newest and bestest" out there..I am just an old hammer head, old school and set in my ways... The folks who are hounding me about doing  this are all saying "You aren't getting any younger" and that I should start to get this stuff out of my head ..(well that is why I am finishing book IV folks...) and "out there"..

So any advice? I mean I don't even know where to start.. Any words of wisdom??

Thanks all...

JP (What the Hell am I thinking now) H

• Like 2

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

Here's a channel of another old fart that I particularly appreciate watching. Perhaps you could do something similar. Record small things at once. If you're not entirely comfortable to speak while recording, you can even narrate afterwards during the editing. 

I, for one, would love watching how you do what you do :)

https://www.youtube.com/@BlackBearForge

Edited by Joël Mercier

If you are so inclined I would absolutely watch your videos!

I follow several blacksmith and bladesmith channels with the hope of picking something up that I didn't catch on to before.  I've seen lots of smiths weld and stack mosaic damascus, explain how to fit a handle and guard, and how to grind a knife evenly, but each one teaches me something different.:D

Hello:  That the whole thing right there...There are so many already out there doing this that is there really a need for one more olde fart doing a video? Besides I don't even know how to hold a camera let alone record anything...

JP (I am so confused) H

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

35 minutes ago, JPH said:

Hello:  That the whole thing right there...There are so many already out there doing this that is there really a need for one more olde fart doing a video? Besides I don't even know how to hold a camera let alone record anything...

JP (I am so confused) H

Just throwing an idea, perhaps some youngster from a cinema school would be more than willing to help you on this. It would be a pretty amazing opportunity to watch a master do his craft first hand. 

Mr Mercier: 

That thought never crossed my mind...hummm  Is there a film school in this area  I have USF not too far (down in Tampa..basically right across from the tampa VA hospital)..This will take some investigation...Still I dunno about doing this sorta thing.. 

JPH

As a knife maker I would encourage you to make the videos, myself and people like me will eventually watch and very much appreciate them.

As a source of income, different story.
The standards of the productions are high and getting better, even with all my years in IT and even having played around with video editing a bit, I would need an editor.
To give you an example, there are basically 3 channels where I watch 99% of the videos, Kyle Royer, Tyrell knife works and Fire Creek forge.....couldn't tell you why.
The rest are in my subscriptions as a valued and appreciated resource.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JPH said:

JP (I am so confused) H

Yes, but don't forget that most of those now doing this learned from you.   They all learned something, probably not all the same things, from your books/posts.  Now that books are, unfortunately, passe, this would be a way to continue to reach more people.  And I'd also wager that you've come up with a few different ways of doing things since your books.   You have a good enough name that you could probably even have a separate, subscriber site where folks pay a fee to get more.  You'll probably also need a youngster to manage this, but it'll also probably be the same one filming.

I think it's a good idea, if you have the energy and enjoy working with others.  

Edited by billyO
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

19 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I, for one, would love watching how you do what you do :)

me too!

Howdy:  I am still not so sure I want to venture into this sort of thing..I have NO idea as to what I would be walking into but you all have given me a lot to think about.  To be honest I don't even know where to start..but I am sure I can figure it out eventually..

Ya'all have to remember I am like 1 small step from being Amish as far as technology goes..Hell's Bells..I don't even drive a vehicle that was made in this decade, century or millennium... I am what they would call a Luddite ..more or less...  It would be an adventure, that is for certain..

This is what happens when I get forced into being in-active..I start to think (which for me is not a good thing..)..

Ok now I will  have to figure out what I will need as far as hardware/equipment and the like.... any suggestions?

Thanks all....

JP (that's a wrap) H

Jim, I had one of your old VHS tape sets of making damascus, purchased out of the back of Blade magazine around 1997 or so.  What impressed me the most was how fast you grind.  I think it was a whale tail pommel for a dagger, and it took you like 15 seconds to rough that sucker out.  Kind of ruined me for when I finally got a 2x72 ten years later...  Little did I realize the horsepower you had versus mine!  

What that's all supposed to mean is, if you get some whiz kid with a camera and editing skills to do this for you, I'd watch it!  I also know some folks make serious cash off their YouTube channels by selling merch, stuff as simple as stickers and T-shirts. How they set that up I have no clue, I'm only slightly more computer literate than you are... 

I don't watch many people. Forgotten Weapons, Tod's Workshop, the occasional Schola Gladatoria and InRange TV, and that's about it.   If you check those out, along with the ones listed above (Kyle Royer is great fun too), I think that'll help you think.  Especially with the vast range of digressions you are capable of launching into.  Composite bows? check!  Gatling Guns? Check!  How to make steel do what you want via heat, pressure, and abrasives? Check!  Start a Patreon to get Book IV published. Or a Kickstarter to help with the bills!  There's a world of stuff I  know about, but don't know how to do.  Tod would be a good guy to ask, he's been a behind-the-scenes TV guy for years before he started his channel.  To bad he's not on the forums.    

• Like 1

Allen:

On the grinder...that was a standard Burr King 960 "Knifemaker's" grinder...1 HP that I got from my best friend the late Bob Engnath.. Now my Frankengrinder has the 5 HP motor, twin drive belts and 7200 SFM belt speed...Why so fast? Cause I HATE grinding... But it's really not so much the tools as it is the one using them...Tools just make the work quicker..not necessarily better ..but quicker..

Ya all have given me something to  think about...once I get  back on my feet I will delve into what is involved...I do know that there would be a LOT of interest in my "bovine ivory" ..I get asked about that all the time and that is why it is in book IV...

Still contemplating all this...

I know I'm a little late to the party, but here is my 2 cents.

Is the market already overpopulated? Yes

Is there always enough room for one more old fart making stuff? You bet!

I have a YT channel and I neglect it terribly. I have 500+ subscribers, but that's a pittance compared to most knife makers with channels. It does take a ton of time to plan the video, film it, edit it and then upload it. Equipment needed? Not much. A simple GoPro camera with a hefty SD card and you can make hours of video and the only thing else you will need is a couple extra batteries that you can buy on fleabay. The camera comes with a variety of mounting apparatus and I just clip it to a mic stand and point it at what I'm doing. You can even mount it to your chest with a harness they sell.

Video editing? Either get that kid from cinema school or grab a "free" video editor download. I use VSDC Video editor. The first year was free and each year I pay about $16 for a subscription and free upgrades. It does way more than I know how to do and they have video tutorials for doing it.

Making money at this is a whole different ballgame. Get enough subscribers and you can sell advertising. Set up an online store with mechandise and link to it on the channel page. Set up a patreon page and get people to send you money to help pay for the videos. All of these things require a large viewer base, and I cannot tell you how to build that except you need to constantly make videos. Like a minimum of one or two per week. YT will start trending your stuff and soon you will apear in everyone's social feeds. Your biggest asset is your name and you need to sell it to make this work.

On the lighter side, you have to consider that books go out of print, but the Internet is forever until society collapses and we all die anyway....wait. I thought this was the "lighter" side? Whatever. For posterity and longevity, the internet is where stuff resides for eternity. Even if you make YT videos and post them here (I'm pretty sure they will become pinned posts) they will forever be available to young makers looking to learn. Yeah old guys like me will buy book IV and will it to our descendents, but they will probably take them to the Goodwill Store. The new way to learn is online through YT University.

OK. That was more like $2 worth.......

Edited by Joshua States

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

12 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Video editing? Either get that kid from cinema school or grab a "free" video editor download.

My suggestion is:  get the kid to do this. 

I learned how to do this by editing all the NWBA Digital Demonstrations on their Youtube channel (***shameless plug***  There's some cool stuff there, I'd recommend checking it out if you have the time...***back to the program***) during COVID, about 22 episodes, and it was a PITA that took A LOT of time.  All I really did was edit out the heating/down time and any comments that were not related to the demonstration, if possible.  This took about 3 hours of footage down to 1-1/2 to 2 hours and involved HOURS of watching the demonstrator do a heat, edit as needed, re-watching the clip and realizing that I'm close, but not exactly where I need to be and adjust as necessary, and repeat. 

Multiple times for each heat.  

This was during COVID, so I had plenty of time. 

I wouldn't volunteer to do this again.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

8 hours ago, billyO said:
21 hours ago, Joshua States said:

download.

My suggestion is:  get the kid to do this. 

If you can find a kid who understands what’s important. 

• Like 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Josh

From someone who also does things differently and has a YT channel..  

I'm not a huge fan of 99% of the ones out there..    I started my own channel because of this..    My videos are lack luster and I setup cameras and just start making something..    No practice shots no story boards or any prep at all..      

I just forge something I have in mind..     Production value.. LOL..   I don't have any..     I film with 3 or 4 cameras. I start them just before starting to forge, and shut them off when I'm done,  then edit the footage with double views at the anvil and then at the vice..    

I make videos I'd want to watch..    

The problem I run into is everyone just copies everyone else.. I don't think I've seen a new video with someone's personal content in about 7 years..   

So, that's where I come in..  

My channel is not successful..   Why..     I don't have the needed attributes of saying  " I'm making this for the first time, today.. will it succeed.???   I get tired of this.. 

I don't have catchy music, the forge and anvil is the only music I want to hear..    My personality is about as flat as they get and my entertainment is "forging". 

Start a channel because you feel you will offer something no one else will..    It doesn't matter if there are 500 videos on the subject.. If you are doing unique things, there is a place. 

There are a lot of very untrained and untalented people making videos and people eat them up.     More power to them. 

I'm a relic of the past..   

• Like 3

Hello:

Boy ya'all have given me a lot to consider and frankly..it is sort of intimidating when one realizes that I have absolutely zero experience in any of this..However I haven't made up my mind yet and I am delving into this as far as cameras, sound equipment and SLTT..There are so many options that I have seen so far that it is mind blowing.

If I am going to do this it is not going to be for the lucre...I wouldn't even know how to go ab out that..rather, the pressure I am getting from folks I know is considerable yet not a single one knows how to go about it either...figures..It was made clear to me that as great a book is in preserving information seeing it done when coupled WITH a book makes things much clearer, and after thinking about it, I tend to agree.. My biggest concern is that there are so many..and I mean 1,000's of folks doing this already..Is there really any need for one more?

I just want to get the information out of my head and all.. I do not know what ya all mean about "my name".. I am most certainly nobody special and not at all well known anywhere.. I just do what I do and if folks like what I make they are most certainly welcome to purchase it..

When I started doing this 50 plus years ago.. the "custom knife industry" really didn't exist..sure there were a few folks making them but not many and even fewer forging anything.. and not many would even talk to a 11 or 12 year old "kid" who was asking all sorts of questions..But I kept at it and bugged the hell out of my neighbor Herr Haufmann who was a blacksmith and that fine old man showed me a LOT.. So I plugged along the best that I could..read everything I can across that was about forging  knives and swords and well..here I am 5 decades later still doing it.. Just another old Hammerhead doing things...

So I guess I do have a lot of things to sift through to decide whether or not i want to join the faceless masses already doing this...Like I said earlier..there are so very many already doing so many different things is there any reason why anyone would even want to watch and olde school hammer head like me doing anything? That is the question..

So I am going to give this a good thinking over while I am still on restrictions..

JPH

Here is my 2 cents for what little its worth.

As you said you do things different than most. Maybe instead of a short format YouTube video channel (I don't mean shorts) instead maybe you could produce longer format "movies". I for one dislike most blacksmithing YouTube because they skip over most of the process or details. Bladesmith videos tend to be even worse as there are fewer and you will need to filter out the stock removal videos. I watch the videos to learn how different people do things and see if their process is better or I can use it to modify my own. I'm not going to hate on them as in the beginning they're great when traveling to see a smith is hard to do, but once you get above the entry or intermediate level your options disappear.

I would gladly pay for a long video of how you make a Yanagiba or a Oakeshott XII if you need a higher return than longer videos give. The reality is most YouTube show the same techniques over and over and if you want to see something other than that your options drop to almost zero. If you did videos of your whole process and minimize the cut content that would be a huge bonus over the others.

7 hours ago, JPH said:

Is there really any need for one more?

It's not a question of need, at least not when posed that way. There is a need for authentic, and artistic, "how to" videos, because loads of folks want to learn and don't have the means or accessibility to do it by travelling to a class or other forum. The amount of bad info out there is appalling, and there is a need for solid, experienced teachers presenting good learning opportunities. Besides, when have the odds ever deterred you before? :D

4 hours ago, Sean Blum said:

Maybe instead of a short format YouTube video channel (I don't mean shorts) instead maybe you could produce longer format "movies".

Spinning off of this for a minute. The most watched, and by my metric "successful" videos  are the ones that appear in parts. 

For example:

Video #1: Making a Spatha. Part 1 forging the blade

Video # 2: Making a Spatha. Part 2 Making the handle

Video #3: Making a Spatha. Part 3 Assembly

And so on. 

Most folks have an attention span of about 30 minutes or less. This is why the short format of YT is so wildly popular. If you can hook them on a 20-minute beginning, they will come back to watch parts 2 through X.

• Like 1

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took me too long to see this.

Jim: Your books are some of the foundation stones of this craft in modern times.  I say, go for it absolutely. But . . . 

Don't just show the audience techniques, tell them stories. How'd you get started? What was it like when you first published and other bladesmith's accused you of leaking "secrets." Tell us about you biggest mistakes . . . the swords that shattered on quench, etc. and the lessons learned. Tell us about your interaction with other foundational smiths. Tell us why you keep doing this hot, dangerous dirty work year after year. Why keeps you at the fire after all these years?

The world is filled with fakes, with people pretending to be people who they think other people will like or click on or whatever. Your authenticity will differentiate you from the other channels. 

Also, don't try to make it look professional. Buy a $20 tripod for your iPhone and record that way. Any idiot can download filters to make their channel look like a 1990's professional TV studio. 

Raw, unfiltered, unedited, and authentic. 

Anyway . . .that's what I think.

Grins,

Dave

• Like 2

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Dave:  You amigo have made a couple of good points..I just don't even know WHAT I don't know as far as doing this sort of thing.. Tripod and an I-phone.. I have a tripod but no I-phone..I do not have a cell phone out of choice..So I will have to  get some sort of recording device.be it a go-pro(?) or a regular video camera... I do not know how to work either one so there is little difference to me there..

As far as the recording..I will have to have someone else do that part..need to find someone..my wife said she would do it but with her limited mobility thanks to her recovering from that broken leg..that might be asking too much.. My son Nicholas moved back to Southern Nevada last week..said it was too dull and boring here in Florida for him..  Then there is the editing and all that plus I will have to figure out how to upload the content to you-tube...then I have to think of a name for the channel..How about "Cantankerous Old Bastard"...?? Don't want to use my name cause usually no one can spell it..I'll come up with something..  

It's just so intimidating to look at en-toto when you think about doing this when you have no idea at all what you would be doing... 

You asked why I am still doing this after 50 plus years???Well..why not? I won't be happy doing anything else..it's in my blood now.. True I had a long career in the military/law enforcement but I was still swinging away with a hammer  when I was working in harness...In fact when I was deployed to a remote area like into Iraq..I would hunt up the local blacksmiths and pick over their brains a bit..It helped that I 1: didn't "look American"  2: I spoke the local languages (mostly) and had family (what is left of them) there and 3..the Biggie:I was a blacksmith... seeing some of these old men work in what we would call "primitive conditions" and the quality of work they produced is amazing..  All I know is it is in my blood now..so...I do it.

Once I figure out what I need I will probably do it..But it won't have any "progression"..One video might be on bovine ivory...the next on fluting grips or how I weld up stainless HT foil outside a can.. what ever I am doing that day..Might do a "series" on something but I dunno...I don't work that way..I do what needs to be done on any given day as I always have 8 or 10 things I am building.. example..today I did the lacquer work in a siya..put rayskin on a couple of sword grips (one was  some tiger ray on a Kat grip that I left natural instead of dying it......photo below..looks great)  cut some sheet 1095. L-6 and HT foil for a faggot and wired that up..So I am always doing something.  It's just figuring out HOW to do a video..and then uploading it..

So I will start toi figure it out..Need a camera I am thinking..what about sound? What would I need for that?

JP ( I am ready for my close up Mr DeMille )H

DSC08832A.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:18 AM, JPH said:

I do not know what ya all mean about "my name".. I am most certainly nobody special and not at all well known anywhere.

I call BS on this statement :D. My wife even knows your name (as she bought me two of your books) and she doesn't do anything with this art. Book one was the main reason I wanted to get into making knives and not "just blacksmithing". Book two and three cemented it.

17 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Sorry it took me too long to see this.

Jim: Your books are some of the foundation stones of this craft in modern times.  I say, go for it absolutely. But . . . 

Don't just show the audience techniques, tell them stories. How'd you get started? What was it like when you first published and other bladesmith's accused you of leaking "secrets." Tell us about you biggest mistakes . . . the swords that shattered on quench, etc. and the lessons learned. Tell us about your interaction with other foundational smiths. Tell us why you keep doing this hot, dangerous dirty work year after year. Why keeps you at the fire after all these years?

The world is filled with fakes, with people pretending to be people who they think other people will like or click on or whatever. Your authenticity will differentiate you from the other channels. 

Also, don't try to make it look professional. Buy a $20 tripod for your iPhone and record that way. Any idiot can download filters to make their channel look like a 1990's professional TV studio. 

Raw, unfiltered, unedited, and authentic. 

Anyway . . .that's what I think.

Grins,

Dave

Perfectly stated. Would love to see this.

13 hours ago, JPH said:

Once I figure out what I need I will probably do it..But it won't have any "progression"..One video might be on bovine ivory...the next on fluting grips or how I weld up stainless HT foil outside a can.. what ever I am doing that day..Might do a "series" on something but I dunno...I don't work that way..I do what needs to be done on any given day as I always have 8 or 10 things I am building..

This, in my opinion, would make the channel interesting. You never know what you're going to see so viewers keep coming back to see what is next.

• Like 1

Howdy!

Well The Dr said I will be on light duty for another 3 weeks...after that it is back to my regular work load but  I have to as he puts it "ease into it" .. So..

OK I have pondered this and  thought and scratched and thought some more..   and...well....What the Hell..I am going to do it..Dunno what exactly I am getting myself into (nothing new there believe me..) so this will be another adventure...So..I might be asking for some advice and suggestions here as things go along.

I am currently looking at hardware for the venture and have it narrowed down to three..is a memory card of 256GB going to be enough for say a 15 minute video? I am really stepping out of my area of knowledge here with this.. any help will be appreciated..

Don't know what will happen with all of this and by the time I find out it will be too late so here's  to giving it a good old fashioned GO!

JPH

When it comes to memory I've learned more is better. Depending on the setup and settings of the camera you can fill it and not know completely wasting your time. Depending on the memory card physical size there isn't much of a price difference between 256gb and 1tb.

To actually answer your question it should be with what I think your setup will most likely be.

Edited by Sean Blum