Steeled wrought iron Cutlers hammer (no this is not a dogs head).

I have a very nice Cutlers anvil and wanted a Cutlers hammer to go with it. 

Finding a true cutlers hammer in the USA is like looking for a gold nugget in the family garden..    Chances are extremely low..  Was stoked to get the anvil. 

One of the English guys who sells equipment posted a photo of a cutlers hammer so I reached out for some better photos..  The hammer he shared is 2.5 lbs..  It is what I based my design on. 

In CT they had many cutlery shops and that is where the anvil came from.. 

In the last 10 years I have searched every avenue known to me and the video that I paused and stilled with the "last cutler or england"  (paraphrasing title).  he has the same anvil and I was after a copy of his hammer..  

I noticed the file makers hammer and the cutlers are very similar  the weight and handle being the largest difference..   Since i also have an interest in file cutting I designed this hammer as dual function.. 

This started life as some composite wrought iron forged back in the day with lay up faggot welds.  Since i had no idea of what I wanted it to look like it took on the shape in the first photo. 

I forged this at the 2022 fall meet.  This is when the 5160 steel face was welded on.  I left this attached to the parent bar for about 6 months until  the NEB spring meet came up and cut it from the bar.  Still not sure where to go..  Until the photos arrived from Mr Sharpels.  

Because I was not sure of the ending shape.  This was a super crazy forge the hammer once, then completely reshape, then completely move the metal around again. 

I ended up adding a U shaped piece of wrought iron to the back of it fill in the dip created when first forged.  Working this by hand,. by myself was challenging. 

Overall very happy with how it came out.. It's not perfect..  The face has a tiny delam which if you saw the process makes perfect sense since the face was pushed, pulled, upset, drawn out, etc, etc..  Surprised it survived hardening at all..  You can see one remnant of the burr holding the face on for welding. 

Learned a bunch on this project.  Next one will be way easier.  

I made 2 handles..  1 for cutlers work and 1 for file making. 

20220918_104737.jpg

20220918_104806.jpg

20221015_151406.jpg

20221015_151409.jpg

20230916_192334.jpg

20230916_192410.jpg

20230917_184155.jpg

20230919_144605.jpg

20230919_153055.jpg

20230919_153103.jpg

20230919_191920.jpg

20230921_143145.jpg

20230921_143154.jpg

20230921_143203.jpg

20230921_143249.jpg

20230921_144124.jpg

20230921_144128.jpg

20230921_144135.jpg

20230921_144156.jpg

20230921_144213.jpg

20230921_170313.jpg

20230920_191507.jpg

• Like 1

This really makes me want a wrought/steel faced hammer.  Yet another project added to the "some-day" list.  

Is this not both a dogs head and cutlers hammer?  Kind of like the "all toads are frogs, but not frogs are toads" kind of thing.  I'm not sure what would make this specifically not a dogs head.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

is this not both a dogs head and cutlers hammer? 

Slippery slope for most..  

Few recognize why a design is "that" design..   

The devil is always in the details..  

Unless someone is really applying a given experience again, and again, and again.  Most can't really tell that there is any difference at all..   

What I mean is....   It takes about 1000X to truly remember something if there is very little time between..   When there is time between events,  the retained aspects are diminished and the results become muddy.   

When forging with a cutlers hammer vs a dogs head..  This difference becomes apparent. 

The Japanese use about 5 basic different hammers for Katana forging...  Yet most Americans use 1 or 2.    

The Japanese hammers are a Dogs head hammer....    

I've put a photo of a steeled wrought iron dogs head I use for sword or dagger forging. 

20220828_203640.jpg

20230921_143145.jpg

20220829_113007.jpg

Doug it swings great..   5.25lbs is within my working range..  File maker's hammers are very heavy.. A bastard cut file can be a 10lb hammer. 

17 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Five and a quarter pounds seems a lot of metal to swing.  How does it work?

Doug

13 hours ago, JenniferP said:

File maker's hammers are very heavy..

When teaching, I often tell students to pick up a heavier hammer when using top tools.  The reason for this is you can let the weight of the hammer do the work instead of asking your muscles to swing a lighter hammer harder.  Swinging harder often leads to mis-hits.   When chiseling the teeth in a file you want one solid hit per tooth. 

Edited by billyO
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Lovely!

People who have never used a hammer that shape have a hard time understanding how they work.  I know I did before I was given a 3 1/2 pound saw doctor's hammer. It's a whole different way of swinging, much less tiring than a balanced hammer once you realize it's self-guiding.  That short, angled handle is the key.

10 hours ago, billyO said:

When chiseling the teeth in a file you want one solid hit per tooth. 

as long as the hammer is raised to the same height everytime the blow on the file blank will be the same..     :) 

That is an interesting method you developed with the students..   Use a heavier hammer with top tools.. 

Than

13 hours ago, JenniferP said:

as long as the hammer is raised to the same height every time the blow on the file blank will be the same..     :) 

Better explanation, but same principle. 

Let the weight of the hammer determine the force of the blow, instead of relying on your muscle control to be exactly the same each swing.

Thanks for sharing your skills and knowledge.

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

I use the same method of weight to height of the drop using my name stamp….

cool looking hammers you have made….. 

• Like 1

thanks Dick..  Not much longer and the cutlers anvil will be mounted and then I'll get to use it on the correct anvil. 

20190119_163629.jpg

• Like 1