Low temp salts vs oil?

McAhron

I have been marquenching using high temp flourinated oil believing it was safe to do so because of the high flash point.I have recently found out heating the oil causes vaporization of the oil at the surface posing a risk of flash fire during quenching.A very scarey possibilty.

I would like to know if you can marquench 1070-1080 in low temp salts or if i should just do a interupted quench and then into the high temp oil?

If salts are capable,does anyone have some design plans? :D

N'T McAhron Sqwaukin Vulture Verrinder

"to create is to make art"

TREMBLING EARTH KNIFE WORKS (website coming soon)

Yeah, no big deal from a flash, unless you are using a huge tank of oil with a massive surface area.

In a little tank, with a small exposed surface, the height of the panic will be to throw a cover on the tank. Done deal. Fire out.

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Yeah, no big deal from a flash, unless you are using a huge tank of oil with a massive surface area.

In a little tank, with a small exposed surface, the height of the panic will be to throw a cover on the tank. Done deal. Fire out.

39072[/snapback]

Thanks guys.I researched this site and see you are also doing this.I had not thought about flash from edge quenching as I clay coat my blades and do full immersion.I dont know if I will switch to salts but I feel more informed.

Edited by McAhron

N'T McAhron Sqwaukin Vulture Verrinder

"to create is to make art"

TREMBLING EARTH KNIFE WORKS (website coming soon)