Which would you use and why?

This knife has a story which I will share when it's done, but I honestly need some help.
Very long story, I bought 3 pieces of Raffir wood from my neighbour for what I believe is a bargain price, still not money I should've spent in my current situation.
I've identified the woods from the Raffir siite, firstly I bought the purple Platan wood, gave other people a few weeks chance then impulse bought the Bog Oak and natural Spalted Beech.
The blade is raindrop damascus from a billet I was gifted, guard and pommel is wrought iron (I think)
Knife is assembled with a mock-up handle from cheap wood.
I thought by the time I had the blade etched and guard & pommel ready it would be obvious which wood to choose.
For the life of me I can't decide.

IMG_20240330_155607[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155617[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155630[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155644[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155659[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155726[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155751[1].jpg

IMG_20240330_155816[1].jpg

• Like 1

I'd go for the raffir or the platan, which one depends on your market! If they usually are more conservative and don't buy anything too outlandish, the raffir. If they like attention-getting knives, the platan! Nothing wrong with the bog oak or spalted beech, but this knife has personality, and they don't have as much.

• Thanks 1

Platan, it compliments the Damascus pattern.;)

Edited by Gary LT
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

Exactly my problem, I broke my current rule set and bought the platan using survival money, not with this knife in mind.
I realised it makes sense to use my most expensive handle material for my most expensive knife to date, my cousin @Bill Baartman has the same opinion @Gary LT
Bog Oak's argument is it's the most expensive, and to be honest I find the Beech attractive for reasons I cannot express.
Safe to say it's between the Platan and the Beech

47 minutes ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

to be honest I find the Beech attractive for reasons I cannot express.

Sounds like you know what you want to use, then.  It was my second choice, for what it's worth.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:23 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Sounds like you know what you want to use, then.  It was my second choice, for what it's worth.

Not at all, I need the money but I refuse to compromise and I have these 60/40 arguments either way.
E.g. the bog oak, I paid N$600 but they paid N$2000 for that piece of wood......few years ago and pre-pandemic, I could describe this as UnObtainium from my 3rd world cuntree.
This is likely to be the most expensive knife I ever make, ergo I should use the most expensive handle material by a factor 200x of anything I've ever used.