Bronze age stone pommels

Here's another bronze related question I've been having trouble with. The particular type of sword I'm going for is a Type A sword, and I know they could have a variety of materials for the pommel. For instance, wood, bronze, ivory, stone. The one that appeals to me the most is stone. I talked to my uncle who's a rock hound, and he recommended some soap stone, since it's easy to carve, will be strong enough, and polishes nicely. I got the stone and the tools to carve it, but I'm wondering how big should it be? There's clearly some variation in the pictures I've found online, but I'd like a number or two to go by if possible. Here's a picture from Andrea Salimbeti's website:

image.png

Does anyone have any leads on how to get some numbers? These ones are from some of the Mycenaean shaft graves (I'm not sure what museum they're in!). There's a handful of other pictures online, but none of them appear to have any dimensions or information about what museum to go looking into. Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carlos Lara said:

Here's another bronze related question I've been having trouble with. The particular type of sword I'm going for is a Type A sword, and I know they could have a variety of materials for the pommel. For instance, wood, bronze, ivory, stone. The one that appeals to me the most is stone. I talked to my uncle who's a rock hound, and he recommended some soap stone, since it's easy to carve, will be strong enough, and polishes nicely. I got the stone and the tools to carve it, but I'm wondering how big should it be? There's clearly some variation in the pictures I've found online, but I'd like a number or two to go by if possible. Here's a picture from Andrea Salimbeti's website:

image.png

Does anyone have any leads on how to get some numbers? These ones are from some of the Mycenaean shaft graves (I'm not sure what museum they're in!). There's a handful of other pictures online, but none of them appear to have any dimensions or information about what museum to go looking into. Thanks!

There are a few photos of mounted stone pommels here,but there are no measurements. They may give you an idea of the size.... http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3101&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks! That's an interesting discussion for sure. Some sadly broken image links, but some that work. It looks like stone pommels were more used than I thought! I thought they might be heavy, but as they say in the link, many stones are less dense than steel. In this case though, usually bronze pommels were hollow I believe, whereas ivory, stone or wood pommels were not hollow. It looks like many of them were the same size as the standard pommels of the day, so maybe I should get inspiration from the pommels of other material that have been done.  

Thanks! Yes, recently I've been cutting natural polishing stones a lot, which releases a lot of dust, and I've always been wearing a P100 respirator! From what I've seen in my studies of rock carving, if you're going to carve indoors you need a proper mask pretty much no matter what rock it is.

Is it stone? According to this site they are all ivory: http://www.salimbeti.com/micenei/weapons1.htm

Of course that's not an official source. I don't know if I have a document on these, but I'll have a look if I don't forget.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

You're right most of them are ivory, but I agree there's a later type A sort of sword with a pommel made of Lapis lacedaemonius, and a type A dagger with a crystal pommel on the same site. I believe Salimbeti is a university professor of some kind, so I would regard his work as reliable! In any case, there's no way I'd be able to make one of ivory. Soapstone isn't totally accurate, but it was what I was able to get! Thanks for taking a look in your files if you can, that would be helpful!