Damascus puukko

Nick Wheeler

I was looking at Niko's puukko, and remembered I had this pic on my memory stick.

This is a 120 layer twist damascus puukko that I made to teach a student I had here in the shop (yea yea, the blind leading the blind, blah blah blah :P ) the steps that I would follow to go about making such a knife. I really enjoyed making it, as it brought up some challenges I had not encountered before.

The bolster is 416 ss, and the handle is stabilized CA buckeye burl with ss and Kydex spacers and ss pins.

Thanks for look'n :)

-Nick-

http://www.wheelerknives.com

standard.jpg

I was looking at Niko's puukko, and remembered I had this pic on my memory stick. 

This is a 120 layer twist damascus puukko that I made to teach a student I had here in the shop (yea yea, the blind leading the blind, blah blah blah  :P )  the steps that I would follow to go about making such a knife.  I really enjoyed making it, as it brought up some challenges I had not encountered before.

The bolster is 416 ss, and the handle is stabilized CA buckeye burl with ss and Kydex spacers and ss pins.

Thanks for look'n :)

-Nick-

standard.jpg

39118[/snapback]

Hey Nick!

Looks great! The blade and handel are matching together nicely.

How about the sheath?

N

Very nice. I espicially like that handle. The spacers at the end of the of it are pretty cool and the wood is just amazing! :ylsuper:

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Thanks guys :)

I realized the grind looks kinda washed out at the bottom near the bolster in my pic... and I'm not sure why, because it doesn't look like that in hand.

Anyway :wacko:

-Nick-

Great work Nick. Great handle/blade match.

Be mindful

Practice kindness

I really enjoyed making it, as it brought up some challenges I had not encountered before.

-Nick-

Nick,

Let me guess on one of the challenges.......fitting the bolsters to a blade with no ricasso?

More old blades have no flat..they generally filled the hole with pitch and called it done.

Modern conventions demand a flat there at the end of the blade where a "no gap" fit can be done........go figure.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Yep Ric, that dang "guard" fit up. I filed in a diamond shaped hole, and went for a super-tight fit. It definitely took some time!

I didn't know about the pitch deal! :blink:

Thanks again everyone!!! :D

-Nick-

Yep Ric, that dang "guard" fit up.  I filed in a diamond shaped hole, and went for a super-tight fit.  It definitely took some time!

I didn't know about the pitch deal!  :blink:

Thanks again everyone!!! :D

-Nick-

39710[/snapback]

That is why some finnish makers make a very narrow tang - much easyer to make a good fit, but makes a knife weaker.

How about a japanese style fitting - habaki - a good way to fit a blade without ricasso.

Very nice puukko :)

I really enjoyed making it, as it brought up some challenges I had not encountered before.

-Nick-

Nick,

Let me guess on one of the challenges.......fitting the bolsters to a blade with no ricasso?

More old blades have no flat..they generally filled the hole with pitch and called it done.

Modern conventions demand a flat there at the end of the blade where a "no gap" fit can be done........go figure.

Ric

39645[/snapback]

From my experience, it seems it would be harder to heat treat the entire edge with no ricasso (that might just be with my longer blade though)

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website