Japanese maple leaf on a friction folder

This is a friction folding knife forged from 1084. The handle is steel with a Japanese maple leaf over flowing water in copper soldered to it. 

PXL_20240603_021808280_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20240603_021752596_copy_768x1020.jpg

• Like 3

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Nice!  I'm diggin' what you're doing with the copper on your folders.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1
RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

3 hours ago, billyO said:

Nice!  I'm diggin' what you're doing with the copper on your folders.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks! I have a few more in the works. I just finished this one this morning. I'll probably end up doing more of these thistles.

PXL_20240604_144446557_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20240604_144357857_copy_768x1020.jpg

• Like 3

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Just finished another. The thistle represents my partner's Scottish heritage, the maple leaf her Canadian heritage, and the infinity symbol her Métis heritage.

PXL_20240610_222058624_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20240610_222037287_copy_768x1020.jpg

• Like 5

Bob O

My Website

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alveprins said:

These are pretty cool looking! :)

Thanks! They're quite fun to make, though nothing on the level of detail of your work. I've been looking into rotary broaches to put hexagonal holes in the screw heads. Something a little more appealing than a simple slot for a flat screwdriver.

Edited by Bob Ouellette
  • Like 1

Bob O

My Website

Use a xx slim triangular file to cut a sunburst pattern on the head, leaving the slot intact enough to be functional. Chase some patterns.  Lots of ways to dress up a slotted screw head.  Look at flintlock lock bolt heads for inspiration.   A xx slim taper file and a 120 degree push graver let you do what's basically chip carving in metal.

And I like the design!  B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Use a xx slim triangular file to cut a sunburst pattern on the head, leaving the slot intact enough to be functional. Chase some patterns.  Lots of ways to dress up a slotted screw head.  Look at flintlock lock bolt heads for inspiration.   A xx slim taper file and a 120 degree push graver let you do what's basically chip carving in metal.

And I like the design!  B)

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try some, but I've been focused on chasing and cutting out the copper decoration.

Bob O

My Website

Posted (edited)

I think I might try combining the two ideas. There are plenty of ways to decorate around a hexagon. I'm thinking the slot night not be the most comfortable in the hand. 

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Bob O

My Website

I carry a knife like this from Nick Rossi as my ever day knife. It is a conversation piece for those that don't really know smithing. I love the idea of adding nonferrous accents. It is a great canvas and you can do a lot with it. Good idea!

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thanks! It started when I used copper for a couple of handles. It's been a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot as I go.

Bob O

My Website

These are fun Bob… I don’t see the screws you are talking about decorating? For the pivot in a future one? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2024 at 11:11 AM, Dick Sexstone said:

These are fun Bob… I don’t see the screws you are talking about decorating? For the pivot in a future one? 

Thanks Dick. The screws are button headed with no slot or other means to turn them. They have a hex nut on the other end. This is what they look like before the head gets rounded off and what the screw looks like assembled.

PXL_20240520_003336577_copy_768x857.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_1718483302655_copy_768x1020.jpg

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Bob O

My Website

Ah , I see what you are saying….. I think I’d drill a small hole in the side of the rounded head and make some small spanner wrench’s  to tighten them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dick Sexstone said:

Ah , I see what you are saying….. I think I’d drill a small hole in the side of the rounded head and make some small spanner wrench’s  to tighten them

I got my rotary broach in today and made a button head screw with a hex socket. I ordered some larger stock to do some file work on the heads. I can also use larger screw diameters and get deeper sockets. I was afraid of drilling too deep on this one.

PXL_20240621_234619767_copy_768x1020.jpg

And the tool that did it: 

PXL_20240621_235005839_copy_768x1020.jpg

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Bob O

My Website

Just finished another folder. The decoration on this one represents my dad's Métis heritage and his career in the army as a master bomb disposal tech. This knife features a tapped screw hole and a screw with a hexagonal hole to tighten it.

PXL_20240622_172330025_copy_768x1020.jpg

PXL_20240622_172314763_copy_768x1020.jpg

• Like 2

Bob O

My Website