Prescription safety glasses/goggles suggestions?

billyO

Hello all.  I hope the start of summer is treating everyone well.

I've finally admitted that I need better glasses in the shop, and went to an optometrist to get my eyes checked.  I now have my prescription (different needs for R & L eyes)  and am in the process of finding goggles.  I have a couple of questions, all related to what would be the recommendation for metal shop use.  I am planning on getting UV protection and, if possible IR protection.

- Should I invest the money in glass instead of polycarbonate lenses for durability?

- Should I invest the extra money in the anti-scratch coatings that are advertised?  I'm assuming that it would help more with polycarbonate than glass, is this correct?

- Is there anything else?

Thank you.

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

If there is a chance of moderate to high speed impacts (Lathe, grinder, milling machine) you definitely want polycarbonate.  I use ESS Eyepro, I have a fairly strong Rx and they are the only wrap around that will accommodate my Rx.  The advantage to the style is that the outer lenses are cheap and replaceable, so I don't worry too much about the Rx lenses.  I'm not really worried about UV and IR, my Doc says not to worry about it.  OTOH, glass blowers often have trouble with long term exposure.  That's your call, I guess

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Definitely go polycarbonate. Lighter (MUCH lighter if you have my miserable vision), more impact resistant, and flux spatter/sputterballs from electric welding don't stick.  They do stick to glass, and will lay your finger open when you try to brush them off.  

I get these:  https://rx-safety.com/shop/master-safety-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses/prescription-safety-glasses-rx-75/

I'd like the ones Geoff uses, but I also like the retro nerd look of mine.  Plus they're cheap enough not to worry about messing up, unless you get progressive lenses.  I get the UV and IR coatings just for fun, and anti-fog because in the summer I tend to fog lenses pretty badly.  

If you do need bifocals, be sure your eye doc gives you the segment height you need.  That's the point on the lens where the magnification kicks in.  Too low and you can't use 'em, too high and you have to look down to see distant objects.  

• Thanks 1

I use prescription glasses in the shop all the time, even though I don't use them in everday life.....well, I do need some reading glasses these days.

I had my doc make me a prescription to focus on a distance of about 8-10 inches for fine work and most grinding applications. I also need different scripts for each eye and was having trouble using my optivisors. Definitely go polycarb and most optical shops have safety frames you can choose.

• Thanks 1

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

Howdy!

I have to second the poly carbonate lenses..I get mine through the VA so  there is no out of pocket so costs to me are nil (other than 32 years of my young life),,,  I wear them ALL the time I am in the studio...Eyes are very important...ask the man who has ONE... As far as welding...I use the flip up welding lenses..they look funky but who cares??  Get the biggest lenses that you can as they offer more protection.. I am quite paranoid as far as my vision goes ever since I had that accident way back in the early 1990's when I came damn close to loosing my left eye...

JPH

• Thanks 1

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

Hello all.  One last question (I hope...)  Is it worth it to spend the extra $15 on Trivex or just stick with the normal polycarbonate lenses?  

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO

Plain polycarbonate (with coatings) has always been good enough for me.  Trivex isn't necessarily more impact resistant, it just meets the ANSI Z87+ specs at a slightly lighter weight (read thinner lens) than polycarbonate.  Unless your regular glasses are coke bottle bottoms you probably won't even notice the difference.  I did the glass lens mistake once, and the ultra-high index plastic (+$40!)mistake once. Glass is too heavy with my scrip, not to mention the other issues I already said.  The ultra-high index plastic are technically lighter than poly, but I couldn't tell the difference with those frames.   Once I hit early middle age and my vision started heading downhill fast I started needing a new prescription every other year or so, so I've had time to experiment.   

Thanks, for all the responses.  I ordered some goggles and will post a review when I get them and use them for a whild

RIP Bear....be free!

as always

peace and love

billyO