Chinese dragon on a dao

I let a couple of friends convince me that it would be a quick job to put a dragon on a dao.

It was hardened already, and it is made of modern steel. It must have had a bit of chromium in it, with the carbides. This took forever.

But, it came out ok. I am not the world's best engraver/carver. But, I really enjoy this sort of work. Be gentle. 

pony's dragon.jpg

• Like 6

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Kevin.

Think you captured the line of the dragon …. Nice….and the background looks consistent also… are you doing an patina to it?

you have come a long way since i last saw you at Ashokan …. 

Posted (edited)

Dick - it is good to hear from you! Man... the Chinese style didn't do as much patination in the later years and the customer doesn't want me to. Or, didn't want me to. I wanted to at least darken the background and the lines somewhat but it is his sword. This wasn't a custom piece I made, I just did this for a friend on his sword. I really wanted to go black on the cutaway and stippled part and then something like liver of sulphur on the dragon. I don't know any complex patina recipes. 

Edited by Kevin Colwell

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I was wondering why you didn't darken the ground...  That explains a lot, thanks!  And good to see you back here!  I think you did a great job, especially around the edges of the ground where it meets the blade.  VERY clean lines.  Bravo!