cutting a nail nick

cutting a nail nick with a fly cutter......sorry for the poor photos ...... 

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_5994.jpeg

use a back up plate to prevent chatter..... locating pin and clamping the blade in the vise locates the position....

IMG_1815_2.jpeg

Wow, you're doing that with a HSS cutter to boot.  I need to give this a try.

Any suggestions for speeds & feeds?

-Brian

At the slowest speed on my mill…..160 RPM ….. feed is maybe a couple thousandths at a time along with a spray of WD 40 ….. then let the cutter go round till the noise indicates it is not cutting any more …… then another couple thousandths ….. i try to feed it slow enough that I don’t get smoke from the WD40….the first few cuts can be more aggressive and  then less and less aggressive as you reach the stopping point…..

Thanks!  Do you move along the x axis, or does the radius of the fly cutter create the length of the nick you want?

Not sure that was well worded...  Another way to ask is are you simply plunging in, or do you have to move in the x direction as well?

-Brian

Ah good question…. I have forgotten the amount of steps…..lol….. I usually just plunge cut…  I don’t have a fixed length of the nick…. If it looks too short I will move the x axis…. But if it gets too long the bottom of the nick gets a flat area  that starts to be noticeable …

the radius of the cut is 1 & 1/4 “ with my set up …. That is a nominal measurement ……you could make radius bigger instead of moving the x axis…. 

Thanks to Dick for pointing me in this direction a couple of years ago.  I do it on the lathe with a milling attachment.  SLOW speed, about 60rpm, miniscule feed just like Dick said.  Slow and easy is key, especially since this setup on my lathe is about as far from rigid as doing it freehand. I do not move in the X axis, I set the radius of the cutter to change the length of the nick.  On 0.090" thick blades I find a 1.25" radius is about right.  Tried it at 1.5" and it was too long, any shorter and it risks cutting through the back of the blade.   That's embarrassing...

20230311_162518.jpg

I've since cut off the extra length on that cutter, it made it too hard to set up without hitting stuff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks again!

I did a little CAD to try to answer my own question.  Looks like a 2" diameter swing will create a 5/8" long nick by cutting half way into a blade that is 0.100" thick.  Pretty close  to what you both are doing, and nearly ideal in my mind.

image.png

Edited by Brian Dougherty

-Brian

Brain & Alan….good additional info…..thanks…… I should add that the nick is  cut while the blade is still flat…..before grinding to shape…

What is obvious to me  is only because I’ve probably made the mistake of trying to cut the nick last at some point… Mistakes 

have always been my best teacher …..

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 12:42 PM, Dick Sexstone said:

I should add that the nick is  cut while the blade is still flat…..before grinding to shape…

OK. I have used the fly cutter to cut nail nicks and always had questionable results. Now I see this and I'm like DOH!

Thank you for that.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith