Contact tips for Reil style burners

I have a tig, I don't think it has a tip.

Either way, what you want is the longest possible hole of the same diameter as the place where the gas comes out. The longer the gas accelerates, the better the jet effect. The best tips are reworked victory torch tips, however they cost more than buying the finished burners (out my way anyway). Zoeller forge sell some high performance tips if you want to make the whole thing yourself. I just gave up and bought one from hybridburners. It was cheaper than all the trips I made to different stores to find stuff nobody had heard of.

I'm with Protactical here. When I did build burners, I went with the Tweco tapered MiG tips mentioned several places, like Ron Reil's site. Don't remember the orifice size. .035 I think. I remember the guy at the welding shop looking confused when I asked for them. "You're doing specialized work, ain't ya?" He had to go to the back room to find them.

I'd go with a T-rex nowadays, or the blower setup on Don's forges.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Length doesn't really matter as long as length> diameter of hole.

What is most important however is the position of the face (hole output) within the venturi and the section changing profile (variation of section area as you go forward through the venturi). So a smaller outside tip is better.

There are also a few aerodynamic factors that play a role, but a Ron Reil burner or similar style are not that sensitive. Just make sure the hole size is right, axial (centered) and longitudinal positioning is correct and you're good to go.

This burner can also be made with a pipe nipple attached to the reducer with a hole drilled in it . .040" is right ,which is a #60 drill bit. I made mine with a.043" oriface, which is a #57 drill bit.

Good luck with your burner :)

Chip

Edited by Chip

Length does mater if you want the ultra high performance of the t-rex, or the burners that Porter wrote the book on. It doesn't mater as far as getting a working burner is concerned. Anyway that's the way they wrote the story, and Reil, Rex, and Porter all agree, but it isn't as though I understand how jets work myself.

Everybody is right to a degree. What is important is how far in the mouth of the pipe you go. You want the tip (I use a .035) about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches into the 3/4 pipe. You want the maximum velocity you can get. The length of the Tweeco tip is irrevelant. Tap the Tweeco tip into a 1/8 inch pipe and adjust accordingly. As long as you can get a flame to hold you can tweak everything from there, just tweak one thing at time so you can go back if it doesnt work. If you want fancy get a tapered tip or the one's at Home Depot will work just fine. Mine is a homebuilt and it will hold a flame from 2 psi and roar at 35 psi. Once you grasp the principle there easy to use.

Edited by Hurl Vreeland

That sounds like the formula for the Rheil burnner? Which would be cool given that that was what the question was about!

Me bad, I just assume few want to build those anymore, given that even Ron Reil, last I heard, had converted to a hybrid burner. With those you want a long tip and you don't want it anything like as deep in the tube.