who are you?

Hi all,

thought I should finally drop a line and introduce myself here after stalking the pages in awe of the skill of many of you guys here.

I'm a 25 year old Aussie who now resides in Canada. I've had a keen interest in black smithing and blade smithing but have never been in a position to pursue my interest until now. financially, locality and of course, convincing the wife.

I''m in the process of designing a rental friendly workspace so that i might launch headlong into this art form.

I hope that in time I can become a productive member of this forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I'm not beating on metal I baby-sit 25 attorneys. I'm the records and facilities manager for the firm. I have a 16 year old autistic son who is my pride and joy. I have happily passed down my fam

Was born in Washington, DC in 1976 and raised in the DC 'burbs where I stayed until about 6 months ago when I moved to PA. I've been a computer geek of some type or another since I was 4 and that's wh

I feel like I have become a lurker on my own forum and thought this would be a good time to reintroduce myself.   I started smithing in 1976 partly because I had time on my hands and mostly because

Posted Images

Hey folks call me Leonard due to my school having way to many justins in the same classes im 23 even if you dobnt believe me its true aside from that im a band geek play the tombione tubas baritone and trumpet as well as electirc bass father of two wonderful children (for the most part) and a jailer at harris county in texas. i spend most of my spare time watching my new born son (now 5 months old) and playing tea party and princess with my 4 year old daughter. i get very little timje to wokr in the shop anymore at least till school starts for the kids then ill be full bore again hopefully aside from that i have always been interested in knives from every aspect of the fighter to the tool of a wood worker i now try to make knives for my coworkers and some of my military friends to suit there needs mostly small boot/ utility knives

• 4 months later...

My name is Elias Larimer! I am an amature bladesmith in Bakersfield California! As well as bladesmithing, I also make custom martial art equipment. My passion for baldesmithing is shared with my passion for martial arts, and in a way they complement each other! I am a blackbelt in both Jujitsu and karate, and I teach self defence Saturday mornings at a local fitness center.

I am currently getting my welding certificates and degrees at Bakersfield College! In another year or so I will be a fully certified welder!

I have an Etsy account where I am trying to sell some of my products, so I can be able to support this rather expensive passion. The reason I call myself "Nightrunner Forge" is quite simple. It is just too hot here in central California in the summer to run during the day! lol

I have never really been connected with other people of the forge. It would
be really nice to be able to meet others and share knowledge!

• 6 months later...

enough lurking around the forums :)

Hello i'am Elvis, a Croatian guy living in Italy, born in 93 so quite young.

Started this as a hobby but this is like crack, once you start you can't just bail out and drop it :)

been 2 years of actually doing blades, first started as many with only files and sand paper,

now i finally have a knifemacking belt grinder, drill press, forge/anvil/hammers and even more files :D

aiming to acquire a HT oven till the end of this year, and if i can also a hydraulic press or power hammer.

this forum is an awsome place, a lot of informations and friendly ppl.

see you around :D

• 4 months later...

I just happed upon this, so I thought I may add a little abut me (not that there is much to tell)

Hello, I am Brad Woollon from Wellington, South Africa. I am a bladesmith part time, and a Mechatronical Engineering student for the rest. I have a small setup on my parents farm in Wellington, and absolutely love everything about knives.

I got into knives when I was about 4 years old. Got given an old diving knife, and it just grew as an interest from there until the beginning of last year, when I finally got my forge and everything set up to make some blades!

I have been on 2 bladesmithing courses by the great Kevin and Heather Harvey! Wonderful people, and I learned crazy amounts from the both of them!

I have learned a tonne from this site, and thanks to the makers!

Hope to meet some more South African smiths in person in the future so that I can learn even more!

That's me, I think... oh, and I'm 19

Brad

Hello everyone,

My name is Ben Farris. I am a senior mechanical engineering student at Northern Illinois University. I became interested in everything medieval while in high school. My dad had an anvil around and we welded together a forge, took a beginning blacksmithing class, and that is how it all started. I made a few knives but was discouraged by the challenge. I blacksmithed a lot, mostly making small pieces such as wall hooks and cooking utensils for the last 6 years or so. Last year I got serious about knifemaking after I gave one to a friend as a gift. His dad and grandfather soon commissioned knives. Have been refining the basics and gathering tools. I have learned a lot on this forum, and its great to see what other smiths are doing.

• 3 months later...

hello everyone I'm renzo and I live in a small town in the north of the Venetian italia.il my work is a welder at a company that works on the petrochemical and chemical industry, I paid several materials , all stainless and I had also experience with titanium and zirconium . my real passion are the swords including dal1400a all il1600 , I took my first steps three years ago , and always from teacher drive , ..im married since 2004 and have a child who has just turned five years , and it seems that he has a passion for swords !!pardon for mi english

• 5 weeks later...

Who am I? Let's see. I am a native of North East Texas, a son, father, husband, friend to a unique group of humans. I make things, all kinds if things, guitars, knives, furniture, jewelry, I paint, illustrate, sculpt. I never finished my Bachelor of Fine Arts. missed it by that much... Payed the bills most of my adult life being a Graphic Designer, sign monkey, and CNC programmer operator. I am a veritable encyclopedia of worthless knowledge. Made my first metal knife shaped object at 12yrs old (that was 1983), first real knife a few months later. Had the chance to be in the inaugural class at the ABS school in Arkansas, didn't do that either. It was a week in the middle of a semester and I couldn't afford to miss some of those classes.

I got started in this in the days before the interwebs. Dark days filled with myths and misinformation about knifemaking and smithing. Days when smiths were very few and far between, and many tight lipped especially to some long haired weirdo kid. Learned some from knife magazine articles, and long phone calls to the few knife makers that would make time (to which I am eternally grateful), but most from doing it wrong till I got it right, only to later find out I was only doing it kinda right. Actually that last part could describe most of my life.

I'm just your friendly neighborhood Sasquatch. I've spent my whole life obsessing over cars. But cars are an expensive hobby. So I was glad to discover that I also have an obsession for knives. I'm so new to the game that I don't even have all the basic tools to finish my first blade yet.

I've spent the last eighteen years driving rigs across the country. I'm trying to get out of it to save my sanity. I don't expect to get rich making knives. But it would be nice to eventually make a little extra money doing it.

As for me, by day I am the Vice President of Engineering at a small software company in Seattle. I am also a commercial pilot and flight instructor, and teach people to fly on the weekends. In college I majored in medieval history, and planned on a career in academia. My PhD program was about 11 years long, however, with much of that being taken up by learning Latin, Greek, German, French, and Arabic. I didn't have the patience to stick with it that long, and decided on a career in software development which pays a lot more and lets me indulge in my hobbies.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, first off thank yall for the wealth of knowledge and instruction here in one place.

I'm a 4th generation farmer ( including diesel mechanic, fabrication & lite machining work) in my mid 30's living in central Louisiana.

Primary hobbies are fishing, shooting, firearm collecting and sipping whiskey.

I've always been fascinated with heating and beating iron, since a kid anytime I could get the shop to myself I was trying to make something pointed or sharp. I've made a pile of throwing knives but that's nothing more than cutting them out with the plasma cutter and grinding them down to shape and putting a decent tip on them. Anyway recently we were tore down an old barn on my great grandfathers property and found an anvil under a pile of cypress lumber. I'd like to clean it up and put it to good use. We have another anvil at our farm shop as well, I'll try to get a few pictures of both in the next couple of days. If anyone recognizes what they see I'd love to learn what they are.

Onto a forge of course like so many others the idea of a brake drum filled with lump charcoal and a hair dryer seemed quick-cheap-and easy enough to through together. After a few weeks of reading here and elsewhere I've been swayed to build a gas forge but that's a project for another post.

Thanks for having me.

I'm an addict.

I get hooked on very eclectic hobbies and NEED to know everything about them and the best ways to do it. Video games filled that niche for me for a very long time. I'm currently hooked on Disc Golf, and play in professionally hosted tournaments when I can.

I have been a musician as long as I can remember, Bass Clarinet was my first instrument and Euphonium ended up being the one I stuck with and got pretty good at. Played professionally for the USMC in Washington DC with one of those so called "prestigious" groups for a bit, and went back into the work force as a residential contractor. Got married and became an accountant. Moved, couldn't find work during that iffy economic period, and went back to college for music education(another hobby of conductors baton making took over in that time), taught elementary school and the high school marching band for 3 years and gave it up. Didn't pay the bills. I'm back in contracting now, on the retail side of it fixing and remodeling stores.

Parent of 2, 10 year old teenage girl, and 3 year old crazy-@$$ boy who is just like his dad.

Been whacking metal for 3 weeks now and I'm hooked.

• 11 months later...

Everyone calls me Whitla. Even my own family.

Dropped out of school at 15. Moved out of my parents home at the same time.

I'm a general labourer in NSW Australia. 26 year old Separated father to 2 who are my entire world. Had a terrible relationship with their mum after we split. (Mostly my fault). But that's all in the past now we are really good friends. I've always been fascinated by handmade blades as long as I can remember. I have or rather had extreme anger issues. I'm talking volcanic destruction.  It was affecting every part of my life in a negative way. Cost me friends family and even the love of my life. An anger management shrink told me to take up a hobby. Something I've wanted to try for years. That's how I began blade smithing. And it had an effect on me that I wasn't expecting. My anger was flattened with every blow of the hammer. Cooled with every quench. Smoothed with every polished blade. You could say forging saved me from myself. Even the worst pieces iv made I have pride in just because they led me to be who I am today. So on that note I encourage everyone to be proud of every piece. No matter how bad or great they are because every blade is a part of you.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amanda. My husband and I have three grown kids, six grandkids, a dog and three cats. I live in the mountains of south-central California and I work for the county at the Department of Human Services.

My mother used to tell me: Don’t let anyone tell you that you cant do something because you are a girl. Tell them you CAN do it because you are a girl. Therefore, I have many interests/hobbies, some of them girly, others not so much: from sewing, to assorted varieties of needlework, baking, jewelry making, gardening, target shooting and woodworking. I love learning about things that are not traditionally of interest to women. I am a lifelong LA Dodgers and Seattle Seahawks fan. I enjoy watching Formula One racing, World Rally Championship, Discovery channel, History channel, FoodNetwork and Cooking channel. I think a good way to spend an afternoon is to go window shopping...at the local quilting store, the craft store and a gun shop that also carries knives. Something I never leave home without is my Ken Onion Blur.

The first time I saw a Damascus blade so long ago was a sort of epiphany for me. I wanted to learn traditional metalsmithing, using as few power tools as possible. {Am I ambitious or just out of my mind?} I never really had the opportunity or the space to take on forging until now, so I am going to start small. I read somewhere (it might have been here) that a good way to start is to go spend a few bucks on tongs and good gloves, buy some old files and maybe an anvil at a yard sale, cobble together a homemade forge and start hammering. I may find out it’s too much, or that I dont have the patience or the knack for it, but I have to try. 

So thats me. I will be spending a lot of time reading the posts in here, taking in the information and expertise of those who are skilled. Hopefully, I will have something to share with everyone in the coming months.

Cheers!

I'm a disabled veteran, yes I am a crazy nut lol.  I can be a very very mean grump or I could just be a very very nice person.  I'm also a NOOB.  Nor an expert.  I'm no know it all either.  In the end I just want to get outside and learn how to do new things with this hobby.  I also play PC games and annoy the living daylights out of teenagers and Millenials.  Its amusing at some points.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:21 AM, D.whitla said:

Everyone calls me Whitla. Even my own family.

Dropped out of school at 15. Moved out of my parents home at the same time.

I'm a general labourer in NSW Australia. 26 year old Separated father to 2 who are my entire world. Had a terrible relationship with their mum after we split. (Mostly my fault). But that's all in the past now we are really good friends. I've always been fascinated by handmade blades as long as I can remember. I have or rather had extreme anger issues. I'm talking volcanic destruction.  It was affecting every part of my life in a negative way. Cost me friends family and even the love of my life. An anger management shrink told me to take up a hobby. Something I've wanted to try for years. That's how I began blade smithing. And it had an effect on me that I wasn't expecting. My anger was flattened with every blow of the hammer. Cooled with every quench. Smoothed with every polished blade. You could say forging saved me from myself. Even the worst pieces iv made I have pride in just because they led me to be who I am today. So on that note I encourage everyone to be proud of every piece. No matter how bad or great they are because every blade is a part of you.

You may be interested to know, that Don Fogg, the founder of this forum told me that he started making blades in part to help him achieve calm after his pretty intense experiences in the Vietnam war. 

Patience is the most important skill you can bring to this craft, and I think cultivating patience has an effect on the rest of your life. Also, long periods of time doing hand work (like filing and sanding) is almost a form of meditation. 

When you work on the blade, you're really working on yourself.

Welcome.

Dave

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Amanda Macintire said:

Hi, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amanda. My husband and I have three grown kids, six grandkids, a dog and three cats. I live in the mountains of south-central California and I work for the county at the Department of Human Services.

My mother used to tell me: Don’t let anyone tell you that you cant do something because you are a girl. Tell them you CAN do it because you are a girl. Therefore, I have many interests/hobbies, some of them girly, others not so much: from sewing, to assorted varieties of needlework, baking, jewelry making, gardening, target shooting and woodworking. I love learning about things that are not traditionally of interest to women. I am a lifelong LA Dodgers and Seattle Seahawks fan. I enjoy watching Formula One racing, World Rally Championship, Discovery channel, History channel, FoodNetwork and Cooking channel. I think a good way to spend an afternoon is to go window shopping...at the local quilting store, the craft store and a gun shop that also carries knives. Something I never leave home without is my Ken Onion Blur.

The first time I saw a Damascus blade so long ago was a sort of epiphany for me. I wanted to learn traditional metalsmithing, using as few power tools as possible. {Am I ambitious or just out of my mind?} I never really had the opportunity or the space to take on forging until now, so I am going to start small. I read somewhere (it might have been here) that a good way to start is to go spend a few bucks on tongs and good gloves, buy some old files and maybe an anvil at a yard sale, cobble together a homemade forge and start hammering. I may find out it’s too much, or that I dont have the patience or the knack for it, but I have to try. 

So thats me. I will be spending a lot of time reading the posts in here, taking in the information and expertise of those who are skilled. Hopefully, I will have something to share with everyone in the coming months.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard.  My girls are college age now, but both spent a lot of time with me in the shop, and working on their cars.  They wanted to be self reliant.

There is a ton of info here, and the folks are friendly.  There are many ways to get started, and it can be done pretty cheaply at first.  Look at some of the beginner setups for some ideas, and don't get hung up on having a traditional looking anvil.  A big hunk of good quality steel from a scrapyard is just as effective.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and finally decided to join. I am a retired home builder, so I have a lot of experience with tools and machinery. Did some iron working (well, steel working really) for my clients and decided to take up a new hobby. What I really want to do is make swords, or at least learn how to do so. This seemed like the kind of place where there were enough sword makers (sword smiths?) that would actually talk with a beginner.

I have read a lot of the pinned posts and have dabbled in a few knife making projects. I have a pretty good shop set up already from my home building days, so I won't be asking a bunch of questions about forges and grinders and such. I will get right to the heart of the matter.

Thanks to whomever the administrator is that does the screening for admittance. I assume that's is Alan Longmire?

• 3 months later...

Hello all.  I've been blacksmithing for the past 8-9 years, and never thought I'd forge a blade.  About 4 years ago, I decided to try forge welding a motorcycle chain and became hooked with damascus since and have been forging blades (mostly kitchen knives) and a lurker on this site for the past 4 years, learning what I could (which is still a lot), and getting inspiration at times.

Here's a small sample of some of my knives over the past couple of years. 

4.JPG15.jpg19.jpg24.jpg26a.jpgKiritsuki style Gyuto1.jpg

Critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for all the info and inspiration and hopefully I'll be able to contribute a little here.

15b.jpg

27a.jpg

Edited by billyO
bad pics
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Not sure who digs this deep into such a thread (I guess I did) but after hanging around for a few weeks I figured it was rude not introduce myself...

I'm Mick - orginally from the UK but after rolling the dice of chaos (divorced my first wife, abandoned my career and headed to a new country) I settled in the USA in 2010.

After bumming around as a teenager, I began working as an electrical contractor and instrument technician, mainly in the paper industry. I then went on to do an engineering degree before joining the Royal Air Force, working on transport aircraft (Tristar, C-130 & C-17) for 12 years. After moving to the US, I found myself in software/firmware development, where I primarily sit at a desk and watch my hands and body turn soft. Still a hands-on engineer at heart, I've had to find ways to feed the urge to create and fight off the atrophy. Forging is the latest kick on that journey...

My wife calls me stubborn, by which she means that I do things simply because someone tells me I can't or I shouldn't or that there's a better way. Often, that someone is me! But it's all about the adventure, the path less travelled, learning new skills, taking on new challenges and having fun (most of the time).

I also write and play music, although the days of gigging with a full band have long been tempered by family life, and I'm now resigned to solo recording. I even have a few tunes on Spotify and iTunes under "Guardians of the Slow Lane", which have thus far yielded a massively underwhelming retirement nest egg of around $3.58! If you'd like to help me get to 4 bucks, knock yourself out.

Edited by MickM

Welcome aboard Mick.  We sound a lot alike.  Well, except for the music; I can't do that even though I have tried a number of times.

I suspect most people around here will idetify with your story, and that you have found a home.

• 10 months later...

I am an aircraft mechanic, specifically the airframe. I have always loved working with metal, even as a kid. I was amazed at what could be made with it. My dad was a metal Smith, making everything from fuel filters for turbo fan engines to machining components for about everything you could imagine. In my own 20 year career, I have worked with almost every metal on the planet, except rare earth elements and radioactive materials. I am new to bladesmithing, and I too live in Tennessee. Now days I help take care of my mom, my dad developed Parkinson's disease 6 years ago and passed last June. Due to my mom's health, I can't hold down a normal job, so I realized that bladesmithing is a natural next step in my attempt to keep the lights on. I am in the gathering tools stage at the moment, making my anvil from a 5 foot section of  railroad track a friend gave me. His grandfather used to collect rail cars, and had a piece of scrap. Great source of information, and thanks in advance for the help.