I'm about to heat treat an O1 blade with a clay coating. I've had some sucess with this in the past, but the hamon is always faint and uniteresting, so i'm thinking of doing a split second edge quench in hot brine, immediately followed by a deep quench in warm oil. Do any of you think that this would help to get a more distinct hamon, or am i just going to crack the blade? I'm probably going to try it anyway, to satisfy my own curiosity, unless anyone knows for a fact it wont work, but predictions would be nice, and i'll take my "i told you so's" with good grace, I promise.

Cheers,

Jake

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

you can get "quench lines" on it,.... like if just holding the edge in the oil... but no defined hamon per se.

I for one love that 01 steel... it's one of my main steels for all sorts of edged things and tools.

I put it in damascus billets.... make swords from it, axes, hammers, anything.

but not for "hamon" stuff..

dan

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

Thanks for the info. It's not a true hamon i'm hoping for (no pattern) so much as a defined line between the hard and soft steel.

I know it's faint and very uninteresting, but here's a pic of a differentially hardened O1 tanto blade i made; clay coating, full quench in oil, so it's not a quench line. I remember reading a Bob Engath article a few years ago saying that you can get hamon on O1, but it always evens out, and the most you can hope for is a shallow wave pattern.

t2.bmp

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein