Pappa Rouch

Disturbed

Uriah Heep

Slade

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Beutiful South

Verdi

Carmina Burana (I can't remember who wrote it right now, but him anyway)

Much more in the collection, but they don't all come to mind straight away.

What I listen to seems to dictate the kind of blade I am making, or is it the blade that dictates the music. Ow! my head hurts now! :blink:

Regards

Wayne

Carmina Burana (I can't remember who wrote it right now, but him anyway)

Orff?

Lately I've had White Zombie, Doc and Merle Watson, and the Grateful Dead in the rotation.

Yep, Carl Orff wrote the music for Carmina Burana, arranging the words from bits of highly spicy graffiti :ph34r: in the margins of illuminated manuscripts found in the scriptorium of a monastery in Bavaria. there's a matching composition that is never played as it's less lascivious, called Catulla Carmina.

I just got a new cd by a local bluegrass (kinda) band, of which there are several as the university here where my wife teaches has a highly respected bluegrass and old time string band program that attracts students from all over the world. This band is called "Last Frontier" featuring Takeharu Kunimoto playing a Japanese instrument called a Shami-sen. He plays it so that it usually sounds like a cross between clawhammer banjo and mandolin. The album is called "Sushi and Gravy." B)

He plays a shamisen so it sounds like a cross between a banjo and a mandolin??? :blink::blink::blink: This sounds absurdly cool.

Yeah, it really is! About half the album is forgettable bluegrass/gospel standards, but the ones Takeharu is in on are fairly magical.

One link to these guys

One from Japan on Takeharu

And one in Japanese, which I can't read...

Kunimoto-san

Hey Mac

I just noticed you are a NIN fan. I have a copy of a Bootleg Album called "Scratches." It's apparently quite rare. Have you heard of it? B)

They are not really my thing, so if ya want it, its yours. PM Me.

Regards

Wayne

Lately I found myself listening to a lot of:

- Machine Head (the older stuff before they went "electronic")

- loads of "Tool"

- A Perfect Circle

- Rollins Band

Along with the stuff posted earlier ;) and the other 15 GB on my iPod ;)

My Wife got me some new forging cd's for my b-day, I think my new favorite is The Kodo Drummers "Mondo Head " She picked it out because the spiral graphic on the front cover happend to be the same as my tatoo. lol Good reason Huh ? Well this album kicks some serious butt, now I just need to rig some bigger speakers in the shop :D

Jens

trescle.2.jpg

My Wife got me some new forging cd's for my b-day, I think my new favorite is The Kodo Drummers "Mondo Head " She picked it out because the spiral graphic on the front cover happend to be the same as my tatoo. lol Good reason Huh ? Well this album kicks some serious butt, now I just need to rig some bigger speakers in the shop :D

Jens

trescle.2.jpg

It is good stuff, now you have to see them live ;) There's nothing like watching and listening Taiko Drumming live. SAme music (partially) I forge to :D

Hÿllyn, the Kodo Drummers are friggin awesome live! So are the Prodigals I saw them a few years back at Celic-fest in Denver. I'm so amazed at how many of the smiths here list off beat stuff like Floggin Molly, Gramarna, Sorten Muld, Dropkick Murphys and other oddities. I thought I had weird taste in music, but apparently as 20-30 something bladesmiths go I'm semi normal :261:

Jens

Best $5.00 CD I ever bought: Nordic Roots II http://www.noside.com/index.html

Edited by Jens Butler

I listen to Megadeth, SRV, older Metallica, Scottish bagpipes and drums, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, ZZ Top, FLOYD for sure!!! Satch, Vai, Eric Johnson, The Nudge (Motor City Mad Man)!! Clapton, Hendrix, and Ozzy just to name a few. I enjoy the guitar since I've messed with one for a little bit, and I enjoy the feeling that some songs take me to.....it's a whole mindset of a sort that once u get "into that groove" of it. Classical, Light Jazz, Enigma rings a bell. Anyhoo, I've rambled on for enough. That's the stuff I like. Thanks, Willie Nappier

Just bought some new stuff last night. Wicked Tinkers. They did an outdoor show in the little town I live in. Think a pipe and drum band as done by Blue Oyster Cult.

http://www.wickedtinkers.com/

“…the Tinkers appeared, beating the living hell out of tapan, bodhran, and marching snare drum, while pipes skirled, a didgeridoo wobbled, and a Bronze Age Irish horn bellowed, like the voice of some H.P. Lovecraft aquatic leviathan."

Now that's music!!

Geoff

In the (Dry!) Great North Wet

I have a Ipod I used when setting up shop that I'm going to become addicted to while in the shop or on the computer. I love the shuffle feature- not knowing what is next is neat.

The last 6 songs it played were Eric Clapton, Lynard Skynard, Hank Jr, Dwight Yoakam, Kentucky Headhunters, and Charlie Daniels.

Lately I found myself listening to a lot of:

- Machine Head (the older stuff before they went "electronic")

- loads of "Tool"

- A Perfect Circle

- Rollins Band

Along with the stuff posted earlier ;) and the other 15 GB on my iPod ;)

now rollins really makes smithing seem like a piece of cake .He is sooo hard core (or was before he got all media hungrey.

I like system of a down to forge to and any philip glass,arnie defranco powder finger ween byork for quiet work .

It is amazing to sometimes hear music you normally forge to in the quiet world .thete are whole vocalsections you cant hear with a power hammer on ,it can really blow you away .

mostly jazz & blues........ no opera here.

Miles Davis.... all of his era's

I tune into WERS 88.9 in Boston a college station. they have good jazz from 10 till 2:00 .

From 6 in the morn they have the coffee hour which is mostly folk . and the giroscope show in the afternoon. 2:00 till 5:00 . good world music . .

I also like to listen to my local "low watt station" WOOL 100.5 when there is someone playing their own collection that I like.

John Coltrain

Bill Evans

Bill Frisel

Galatica

Medeski Martin &Woods

string cheese incident

Christen Macbride

Joshua Redman

Regina Carter

James Carter

muddy waters

howlin wolf

booker t's and the MGs

Dr. John

allen tousaint

Hendrix

Beck ..... that's Jeff the other one is OK too.

I haven't started smithing yet but I listen to these all the time so I'll be listen to them when I smith.

Blue Oyster Cult ,MC Hammer ;) It's Hammer time,Queen,Judas Priest, O-Zone,Zamfir and some others I can't remember.

Recently I've been listening to Matisyahu while cutting fuel, Krishna Das while doing coldwork and Deep Forest (Canadian Techno and African Pigmies= really good music) and...Enya of all things, while a' forgin'. Enya is actually really good stuff for listening to, especially her album 'Watermark' although it might be that I went through little-one-hood on that particular album and Salsa Romantica. :P

Edited by Archie Zietman

How the heck I missed this thread for this long, I have no idea.

Music is how I make my living (I sell really cool HiFi gear), and I have a LOT of music. I have music on cd, LP (yes, because it sounds better), and something to the tune of 120 gig of it stored on my hard drive (and yes, I own damn near all of it.)

When I'm grinding, I listen to a lot of bop and hard bop jazz (Bill Evans, Trane, Miles, Art Pepper, Art Blakey, Wes Montgomery). I mix that up with (of all things) drum and bass electronica. I know, it makes no sense, but it seems to work!

When I forge, I vary from classic rock (any of the Clapton projects like Derek & the Dominoes, Cream, etc.) and Bruce Hornsby (who is WAY underrated!) to harder stuff like old school punk (Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies) and bitter/anger music like Ministry and Rammstein.

Which brings me to a question:

I don't speak a lick of German. WHAT THE HELL IS RAMMSTEIN SAYING? I mean, aside from 'RAAAAAMMMMMMSTEIINN!!!' every 20 seconds. It sounds like neo-Hitler youth marching anthems, but for all I know he could be singing about how much he loves his kitty, because she's sweet and fuzzy. Dunno.

90% of the time I am listening to AC/DC, Lynard Skynner, ZZ Top and George Thoroughgood (sp) and the Destroyers... oh yea, from time to time the soundtrack from Camelot and Exodus.

Disco. Some other stuff too.

:blink::ph34r::o

As a survivor of the disco era, there's something deeply disturbing about that statement... :huh:

Somebody send that boy some Flogging Molly, quick! B)

There is so much music I love.

My top favorite bands to listen to while at the forge would be:

- Five Iron Frenzy

- Flogging Molly

- Nickel Creek

- Skillet

- Kutless

- Leeland

- Pillar

But the 1# GREATEST BAND TO FORGE TO IS!!!.........

FLATFOOT 56!!!

My fellow Bladesmiths!... you MUST listen to this band!.. they are AWESOME!!!!

Listen to some of their headbangin celtic tunes here:

Flatfoot 56 - Purevolume music page

and their official site:

Flatfoot 56 - official site

They are downright the best forging music ever! they get your arms pumped up and ready to hit that hot steel every time!!! :)

Edited by David D3