Bangin' & Jammin'

I like Stan Rogers and things like that style. Also get the bag pipes going on the box, gets the neighbours ratteled a bit, but then again so does the clang bang on the anvil.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of a sudden I heard Grantchester Meadows in my head and had a flashback.

i am an enormous metalhead and have almost all kinds of wierd underground metal on my ipod. but when i am forging i actually prefer things from my dads extensive blues/rock music collection, my absol

I have a preference to listen to Amon Amarth, Nightwish, as well as Eluveitie when I think of forging(will listen when i do forge too ) Eluveitie is a unique band, I know of a lot of folk metal but t

Posted Images

I listen to the birds and my forge. I allways have to forge in the woods. Really nice. But i don' t have enough power cable to hook up a stereo and my forgeblower at the same time:p It's a bit cheap i know but i like to listen to the silence well.... as long as i am not hammering offcourse:)

I listen to the birds and my forge. I allways have to forge in the woods. Really nice. But i don' t have enough power cable to hook up a stereo and my forgeblower at the same time:p It's a bit cheap i know but i like to listen to the silence well.... as long as i am not hammering offcourse:)

40684[/snapback]

Same with me, I have a battery powered radio. Batteries keep dying, I can't hear it with the blower on anyway...

Oz

• 1 month later...

Since I've discovered eMusic.com my musical landscape has become huge. Matisyahu (Hasidic Reggae- no joke), My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult is back in rotation, Kodo drumming, Talib Kweli, Theivery Corporation (world music runs smack into down tempo), Drive By Truckers, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys and St Bushmill's Choir (gotta represent the local celtpunks).... man that's just the tip of the iceberg.

PM me if you want a free trial of eMusic, I think it's 50 free songs right now for the trial (if you join it's a monthly fee).

I'm really hard of hearing, so when I listen to vocals, the singer has to have good diction or I can't understand the lyrics. This eliminates most rock!

Fortunately, my tastes run to show tunes from the likes of "Threepenny Opera" and "Marat/Sade", and groups like Beautiful Day and The Mollies.

Life is fun when you're an aging hippy!

I like Stan Rogers and things like that style. Also get the bag pipes going on the box, gets the neighbours ratteled a bit, but then again so does the clang  bang on the anvil.

40223[/snapback]

Wow thats cool, I was wondering if anyone here actualy ever jammed on Stans stuff, I forgot some of you guys were in Ontario. Two of the best music deals I ever got in on were the Ontario Folk music scene and the Montreal Jazz festable. Summerfolk in Owensound is just a awsome festable, Now there is StanFest in Novascotia. I spent the summer of my 23rd birthday camping in Ontario with my dog at the time. I was hanging out with Stans kids and wife Ariel and had a great time. Ariel even sang Happy Birthday to me and she has a fantastic voice and is as beutiful and graceful if not more so than any movie star in hollywood, It was by far the most memorable birthday song ive ever had. I talked to them on the phone many times but I lost touch a few years ago.

I was going back in July of 98 when I got harrased at the Canadian border and told people like me were only welcome in prisons in Canada. I was accused of drug smugling, searched for hours, lied to about everything, told I was going to jail, I was asked if I had ever smoked pot which I promptly awnsered "Yes, But I didnt Inhale" ala Bill Clinton. Then placed in a Cab and sent back across the bridge and told to never come back. It still burns my backside to this day and for once in my life I wasnt even doing anything wrong unlike the other thousand times I was up to no good, just not called on it. Me and Sonny Barger are not welcome in Canada, Oh well theres a whole world out here but there is some damm good music and fine folks in Ontario.

Currently I have my Subwoofer maxed out to some Jaco Pastorius. Im currently in a nostalgic period listining to, Son House, Richard Manual, About anything out of Clarksdale Mississippi or Helena, with a little Glenn Campbell and Johnny Cash or any of the stuff I listened to on AM radio with my Father in the 70s back in Arkansas. For the loud stuff a little Velvet Revolver.

• 1 month later...

Todays jams are Van Morrison Tupelo Honey and the first couple of albums from The Band and a special Live at Nostel Priory 1986, The Band featuring Van Morrison minus Robby Robinson. some great tunes,,,,,,,,,,,

I live out at the base of the Cascade Mountains and I am surrounded with wildlife (sometimes too much). At night I am listening to the elk bugal, coyotes yelp and the screech owls. During the day it's:

Boston

Molly hatchet

.38 special

Fleetwood Mac

Scynard

CCR

ZEP

U2 (the older stuff)

Metalica

Also referred to by my dad as "That god damned hippy music".

Edited by B Finnigan

ho'man... a foray into the world of my real job...

(I'm a retail-jockey, in an FYE [a music store])

I'm hearing alot of good celtic-rock stuff on here, thought I'd add my recommendations..

starting out w/ The Tossers (celt-rock, they have several cd's out, mostly in the UK, but their latest is available here in the States)

then on to Gogol Bordello, which is more like gypsy-punk, only good if you don't mind not understanding the lyrics (the lead singer is Ukranian)

and rounding out the list, is Kings of Nuthin', which I feel marginally bad about including, since I don't actually own their album yet... but what I've heard is excellent.

(I really gotta stop bringing my work home...) :lol:

I live out at the base of the Cascade Mountains and I am surrounded with wildlife (sometimes too much). At night I am listening to the elk bugal, coyotes yelp and the screech owls. During the day it's:

Boston

Molly hatchet

.38 special

Fleetwood Mac

Scynard

CCR

ZEP

U2 (the older stuff)

Metalica

Also referred to by my dad as "That god damned hippy music".

Im liking this list, especially CCR, Zep and Scynard. Old folk/rock rules

I may be old fashioned, but ripping off music isn't free, it's stealing. There is a new site Last.fm

that works like an on-demand radio station where you can preview music and albums. My music tastes are eclectic and I have to search for artists that are not mainstream.

My favorite music now is by Anaour Brahem

He does a blend of Middle Eastern and jazz that I never tire of listening to.

I just got an album from a band called Huun Huur Tu, they are mongolian, and they use all these cool instruments with horse heads carved on them. they do allot of almost throat singing. it's almost like a cross between inuit and tibetan. anyway good rithmic zoning in music for forging.

Yowza, Jake, Huun Huur is terrific. The first time I heard them, I didn't realize that those were human voices! One of our local FM stations (KXCI) plays them quite often.

Now if I could just figure out how to sing along...

I'm still pimping eMusic.com for all your broad spectrum eclectic/indie needs. for example: huun-huur-tu has 5 albums there and so does Public Enemy now that they left their major label. The now-trying-to-be-legit-and-stay-legit Napster sent me an email telling me that their entire music catalog is now free for the listening- over 2 million songs. Yes, they do cater to the mainstream, but a free listen to an album that you might otherwise buy if you knew what you were getting: that was the raison d'etre of Napster in the first place. It's good to see that they're able to both sell the album and give the "preview".

eMusic.com does not encode their tracks- you buy them, you own them, you can play them wherever (I keep mine on a 60GB thumb drive and play them at work and at home) you can burn them to CD as many times as you want and you can then rip those CDs to your other computers. It's just like distributorless product.

Napster does encode their tracks so you can only play them on up to three (or five?) computers with the Napster client installed (so I cannot listen to these at work because I don't have rights to install the napster client) and you can't rip them from CD to another of your computers- you have to download all the tracks again. But with the free listening I'm not sure how much of a problem the encoding is anymore...

I've added Konono no.1, Old 97's, Conjure One, Theivery Corporation, Kodo (Japanese drumming) and a bunch of other stuff to the "heavy rotation" :) Good find on the last.fm site Don. I'll have to give them a listen. Thanks!!

Since music has come up in other topics I'm curious what music people listen to while working in their shops.

I listen to classic rock like ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Queen The Who & David Bowie with a bit of The Cure, NIN & Rob Zombie thrown in with some Jig punk like Flogging Molly The Prodigals Seven Nations & Black 47.

:ylsuper:

Queen definitely rocks as forging music. Although the Beatles "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is definitely a fun one to forge to...

Jake, I have been listening to Huun Huur Tu on and off for a few years, and thay are very good for forging. The horse-head thingy is called an igil. CProkopp, just listen and experiment and soon you will be able to do it. I tought meself kargyraa and sygyt (whistly noise and deep noise) by doing a lotta listening. Good stuff.

Edited by Archie Zietman

This thread just had to come sooner or later :D . Music is such a great source of inspiration for our kind, isn't it? I forge outside so I don't have a stereo in my "workshop", but it's good to have some tunes to listen to when I do other stuff like polishing and woodwork. I mostly listen to rock, but I have some other favourites as well. About a month ago I went to a concert with a band I had never heard about before called Lumsk, their music is a mix of very heavy metal (they had three guitar players :You_Rock_Emoticon: ) and norwegian folk music. The concert litterally blew my mind and I have been aching to start working on a viking sword ever since. There's something strangly gothic about the norwegian fairy tale and folk music tradition I guess, there was no way I could stop head banging and I don't usually do that :P . Here's a link to their webpage

Edited by Leif S

Did someone say Gogol Bordello?

That Start Wearing Purple song cracks me up. Every time I hear it I have an urge to get rippin' drunk and break things.

Lately in the shop I've been listening to:

Hendrix

Jane's Addiction

John Lee Hooker

Allman Brothers (I need a good Allman's fix at least 2 or 3 times a month)

Foo Fighters (what? it's catchy)

And I also like listen to Alice Cooper's radio show in the evenings. Actually pretty entertaining...

What's not surprising at all is the comonality of the music tatses we seem to share. I have a huge variety of stuff that, up until reading this thread, i had thought I was the only person in the city listening to.

I love eletronica and techno for hammering so it's stuff like

Juno Reactor

Orbital

Nick Warren, John Digweed and Dave Seaman

Then, when I'm tired of techno, I love world and reggae

When it's hard slogging and I just wanna quit, the I get out the Tom Waits.

Obviously, there's always more good stuff,but this is what comes immediately to mind.

• 2 weeks later...