Bangin' & Jammin'

I may be the only one here that listens to the ball game but that has first choise in my shop. :D Do the finish work when your team is winning and get out the big hammer for REALLY MOVING SOME STEEL when they just pulled a bone-head play.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of a sudden I heard Grantchester Meadows in my head and had a flashback.

i am an enormous metalhead and have almost all kinds of wierd underground metal on my ipod. but when i am forging i actually prefer things from my dads extensive blues/rock music collection, my absol

I have a preference to listen to Amon Amarth, Nightwish, as well as Eluveitie when I think of forging(will listen when i do forge too ) Eluveitie is a unique band, I know of a lot of folk metal but t

Posted Images

so this is i guy i went to school with:farq

and every thursday night, i hear him playing like this, cause he's drunk. when he does it right, then...

if you like it, then you should also google Adam Sutherland, who is also a friend, and who may be better...

• 1 year later...

I just discovered this thread, very cool.

My favorite work music is mainly Celtic or punk-Celtic

The Dubliners

The Clancy Brothers

Flatfoot 56

flogging Molly

Dropkick Murphy

Beggars Row ( Farquhar MacDonald was one of my inspirations for playing the fiddle after hearing him and beggars row preform at a theme park near where I live.)

And My new absolute favorite The Real Mckenzies!!!

Edited by Luke_Sorensen
  • 2 weeks later...

I like electric blues and psychedelic rock for general forging. Especially Hendrix.

For heat treatment I like complete silence so I can hear myself swearing when the blade cracks :P:wacko:

My new favorite song:

See if you can listen this and not get it stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

Be sure to watch all four episodes :blink:

Interesting thread going here, wish I would have found it sooner. I mostly listen to music doing the finishing work, but forging to some nice music seems to make me more productive :huh:

Recently, I've taken to working to folk music (although not quite what you might think :lol: )

A few of the greats, IMO, are

Ensiferum

Equilbrium

Wintersun

and a new (old) favourite, Insomnium.

If you've never heard Insomnium before, check them out. They do something with music I have never heard before. Everything they do is so powerful and packed with the emotion of the performers it's incredible. Take a listen, even if you're not into that sort of music.

Some of the other stuff is more tame ;) Classical and Celtic music, with some OST thrown in there. Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings soundtrack is one I keep going back to, especially the Breaking of the Fellowship. This may well be one of my favourite songs of all time.

John

That Insomnium sounds like Breaking Benjamin and death metal. I like it so far.

I need to start forging to music. It would be better than just imagining it there. I listen to many bands though. If it has a keyboard or relies on technology to produce, I dislike it. However, country and I, just can't find an agreement. It's pretty cool to see what kinds of music people like on here.

• 1 month later...

makes me feel like a viking

this is pretty good too

Edited by Andrew Gault

Felice Brothers for grinding/filing etc:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhTmL5kMBE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhTmL5kMBE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXhTmL5kMBE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

local stuff for carving/finish work - and while i don't have any music where i forge, i always hear Tom Waits...

Edited by jake cleland

The last year I have been listening to film scores almost exclusively!!

Anything by Ennio Morricone

The Last of the Mohicans

Braveheart

Howard Shores stuff from LOTR

Basil Poledouris not just Conan the Barbarian(which is what makes that movie great, what it without the sound and it is pretty crappy)

Celtic music (but limited knowledge there open to any suggestions)

Hans Zimmer (the Last Samurai is a good one)

John Williams (but you can't really separate his stuff from the movies he has done)

Luis Bacalov

Kill Bill Soundtrack

Above all I would say Ennio is what I can listen over and over again. "Death rides a horse" is a good example sounds like a cowboy viking.

you can never find it but the soundtrack to Yojimbo is awesome but I have not found it for years.

Wow.. great thread. When it's not the middle of the night, I'm going to have to go through it all.

I don't listen while forging but do so during finish work.

These days it's Bach Partitas for solo Violin and Max Richter.

If nothing else, I urge you to go to about 4:00 and listen to what is some of the most mind boggling solo violin ever. I have about 6 versions of this piece and Isabelle Faust has managed to separate the voices better than anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKeXgivk1Lw

Edited by SBranson
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha found a new theme song. I like Korpiklaani's old stuff, but their new stuff just doesn't do it for me. But I thought this one had a very appropriate video for us here.

Edited by Myles Mulkey
  • 2 weeks later...

My music in shop depends on what I am working on. For my Celtic Battle axe, is was the Pouges, along with Jethro Tull (Songs from the Wood) a little Galic Storm, Loreena Mckennitt, and Ashley MacIsaac.

For the Shaolin Spade I have cut and cleaned, but not yet polished and engraved, it was the sound of traditional bamboo flute, played by monks. Further work will probably be Martial Arts Film soundtracks, or a techno remix from china, depending on how traditional I decide to make the engravings.

For an Ulak, or backwards curving fighting dagger i am working on, I listen to the soundtrack from Chronicles of Riddick, the movie that inspired the knife. I also had a Coyote Oldman CD in the mix, so despite it's modern design, it has a distinctly tribal feel so far.

A Kukri I am about to start will probably come into being to the tune of Balkin Beat Box, and may turn out differently if i decide to add Dead Can Dance or Wookiefoot to the Mix. It's all very personal.

An experiment for you all. Forge two knives, exactly the same way, however you like. Listen to classical for one, Bethoven, Back, Brahms, Mozart. Classic rock and Metal for the other. If you notice major differences between the two knives, try Folk, or Rockabilly. Or even Techno or Ambient.

A Great Flaming Eyebrow to the man who can forge a knife to Enya! ^_^

Edited by Luke Wojtanowicz

As I recall John Smith made a katana to the sounds of Enya...and Metallica.

glad to see I'm not the only metalhead on here. B)

My list:

-Amon Amarth

-Tyr

-Behemoth

-3 Inches of blood

-Toxic Holocaust

-Any other epic/brutal extreme metal.

Gotta have stuff that really gets the blood pumping and the rage flowing.

If you are in the mood for something really awesome and strange and metal, try this out.

I'm going to listen to this making my kitchen knives..

John

Pretty interesting, almost cradle meets in flames. But then the vocals and metalcore influence just ruin it for me. :/

• 5 months later...

If it isn't thrash, like Slayer, Metallica, Pantera and the like, it's usually in the realm of black metal like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Immolation, Behemoth and Mayhem with the odd dash of brutal death like Deicide or Cannibal Corpse. Pretty macabre list, I know :ph34r:/>

Then there's the stuff I listen to when I'm polishing or carving: Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, Fintroll.

If it isn't fast, abrasive and exciting, I can't listen to it :P/>

Edited by Freya W. Ward

I thought my earlier post was a bit jumbled, so here's my list of top artists...

Rammstein, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Metallica(the older stuff),Amon Amarth,Big Bad Voodoo Daddy,,The Prodigy,Combichrist. I listen to these mostly during forging and rough work around the shop.

For filing, sanding, polishing,etc., I like shakuhachi(japanese flute), traditional japanese music, and zen instrumental. For the heat treatment phase(yaki-ire)I like Tyco drums, the intensity just seems to fit the drama of the moment B)

Edited by Brian Lawson

Some of the South American flute stuff from the Andes is awesome to polish to.

• 10 months later...

My faves for when i'm in my shop.

The decemberists

Jonny_ripper

Jeremy messersmith

Wintersleep

Gerard and the watchmen

Meatloaf

Mumford and sons

Panic at the disco

Snow patrol

SNOWMINE

The fray

The moody blues

The airborne toxic even

The oh hellos

The script

The all american rejects

And any other Indy band that I happen across on band camp.