Sign in to follow this  
DFogg

Centering Edge Bevels

After a long bout with arthritis I finally found a good medicine

that got me back to forging blades. However I seem to have

forgotten what I use to do keep my edge bevels centered(If I

ever knew.)  Anybody got any suggestions?

I need both bevels to taper evenly down to the

cutting edge not as now with one side flat like a wood chisel.  

How about jigs that aide this problem?

YellowHammer

The method I teach is to begin by forging mini bevels along the edge. The mini bevels only come up a 1/4 of an inch, but you check it by comparing to make sure it is even on both sides. We have a tendancy to forget to tip the blade up on the anvil so that the opposite side from the one we are hammerin will recieve the same angle.

If you have the mini bevels even on both sides, the edge will be in the center. Once they are established, you use them as a guide and forge the bevel to the back of the blade and don't focus on forging the edge down. Keep them even on both sides, the edge will be in the middle.

After a few heats the bevel will be wide enough so you can feel it on the anvil side and it becomes much easier to maintain.

Guest Tai
That's the same way I do it, except I center it at the choil area first to give it another point of reference to follow.

Thanks Guys, that makes sense. I'm off to the forge to give it

a try.

By the way "Great Forum" Don!!

YellowHammer

This continues to be a problem for me. Shape of anvil (is there a horn, etc. in the way?), anvil height, angle of hammer head relative to handle, and, to a lesser degree, shape of hammer face all play a part as well. In my case, all of the above factors often combined to give me a very nice bevel when the edge was facing away from me, but a flat, indistinct bevel when the edge faced me.

Don mentioned one form of "compensation" to keep things even. One that I came up with to solve my particular problem is to always pull the hammer toward me when striking. This slightly lengthened the bevel when the edge faced away from me, and slightly shortened it when the edge faced me. Bevels are now equal and centered.

On a final note, I saw a video of Dan Maragni in which he admitted having a similar problem, which he fixed by using tongs alternately to hold the tang then the tip of a blade so that he was always forging it with the edge facing the same direction.

John

It takes practice to overcome a dominance problem, but you run into throughout the whole construction of the knife especially with grinders.

Another way to deal with it is to fight your inclination and always work from your weak side.

Remember the hammer hand is the force, but the tong hand is the director. Most forging problems can be corrected by learning to control the tong hand.

Guest Tai
Keeping the edge straight and centered is probably the hardest part. If you check the edge while the beveling is in progress, it can be centered and adjusted as you go. There are several techniques I use for doing this. I think it is easier to keep the edge centered rather than waiting until the end and trying to straighten it. You can do it either way though. If I have some time today, Ill do a few sketches.

Guest Tai

21277214-1380-01F401EE-.jpg

The arrows show the direction of the force or hammer blow. In #3. the anvil has a depression in it.

Guest Tai
Natural black cherry juice is a good anti inflamatory for arthritis. However having had arthritis and tendonitis myself, I think it has more to do with technique.

Thanks for your advice Tai.

I recieved a lot a remedies from all over, the oddest one was "everyday eat seven white raisins that have been soaked in gin over night."

I was afraid I would meet the preacher in the liguior store making that remedy.:) Most remedies are good for osteo type arthritises but alas mine is rumetoid. I am now on Remicade and it has given me my life back.  Who knows what long term effect it will have but "Carpe deum". At least I'm hitting hot steel again. Sorry for being so off topic and the Bad Spelling.

YellowHammer :)