Tongs

guarnera

For the longest time I've been using flat billed tongs I got from Centure Forge. Nice tongs but not the best for bladesmithing as the stock would slide around and make it hard to control the work. A few years ago I was at am ABS hammer in and had the chance to use a pair of Joe Kessler's tongs that worked great. He said they were Tom's. I called him as soon as I got home. Well to make a short storie long, he told me he had some really nice Z-Box jaw tongs that were great for knife making, and took my name and number and said he'd call as soon as they came in. Well I never got a call and kind of forgot about them. Then last summer I came across The Ozark School of Blakesmithings web page, and called them again. Well, of course they were out of them again, so I ordered a nice hand made hammer by Tom Clark. Great hammer. The tong would be in by October. They are made in pakastand. Then they had that big earthquak and it was delayed again. I thought I'd never get them. Well last night when I got home from work they were there. Couldn't go out and try them out because I had to take my wife out for V-day. But I went out after we got back just to see how they held steel. What a differance. Using the correct size for the steel they held so well, it was great. No wiggle or sliding around anymore. These should give me much better control. I really like them a lot. Can't wait to actually use them. If you want some great tongs, look up their sight. Sorry for the long post, but I'm easaly excited. Thanks for listening. :rolleyes:

For the longest time I've been using flat billed tongs I got from Centure Forge. Nice tongs but not the best for bladesmithing as the stock would slide around and make it hard to control the work. A few years ago I was at am ABS hammer in and had the chance to use a pair of Joe Kessler's tongs that worked great. He said they were Tom's. I called him as soon as I got home.  Well to make a short storie long, he told me he had some really nice Z-Box jaw tongs that were great for knife making, and took my name and number and said he'd call as soon as they came in. Well I never got a call and kind of forgot about them. Then last summer I came across The Ozark School of Blakesmithings web page, and called them again.  Well, of course they were out of them again, so I ordered a nice hand made hammer by Tom Clark. Great hammer. The tong would be in by October. They are made in pakastand. Then they had that big earthquak and it was delayed again. I thought I'd never get them. Well last night when I got home from work they were there. Couldn't go out and try them out because I had to take my wife out for V-day. But I went out after we got back just to see how they held steel. What a differance. Using the correct size for the steel they held so well, it was great. No wiggle or sliding around anymore. These should give me much better control. I really like them a lot. Can't wait to actually use them. If you want some great tongs, look up their sight. Sorry for the long post, but I'm easaly excited. Thanks for listening. :rolleyes:

42032[/snapback]

Tom Tongs are indeed VERY nice. I have a couple of pairs (wolf jaw and 1/4x1 box end) and plan to get more as funds allow. I'd really just love to order almost everything they make in just about every size all at once, but I doubt that's the way it'll work :) I particularly like the ball ends, it just makes the reins "fit" right.

Enjoy!

-d