Clay coating and quenching

No, but it does look similar doesn't it...

It is about twice the size of hers. I make a lot of C15th eating knives (which hers was based on) and have found if you scale them up a little and put a plunge cut in you get a lovely looking kitchen knife. This one is still kicking about down at the workshop as I haven't got round ro putting a handle on it yet (just like about 12 others...)!

Oz

I think like Nicohls said, it probably as to do with the thickness width and length.

I'd say if length is long, and width and thickness are thinner, then it's likely to curve. I'd expect a knife made like a katana but with all sizes reduced to 25% that it would curve just like a katana would.

I would think the wider the blade the less it would curve because there is more material keeping it from doing so.

*shrugs*

Based on my experience. It depends on the geometry of the blade. Martensite occupies a larger volume than perlite for the same amount of steel. In others words it swells.

And it also depends on the critical temperature reached before quenching. A few degrees hotter will cause a greater curvature.

I suspect that steel composition may also play a role but I work mainly with 10XX, 15N20 and cable so my experience is limited there.