forging a 3V camp knife

Nick Wheeler

I've been working on my orders, but took a 2 hour or so break tonight and fired up the forge for fun.

3V is not an ideal steel for forging... in fact, it's a PITA

But Chuck Bybee ( http://www.alphaknifesupply.com ) sent me a piece of wide stock that nobody wanted for stock-removal. I cut a piece off of it that was 1-3/8" wide (0.267" thick) and it's almost 7" long (you can see the remainder in the final pic).

This stuff does not move easily, and will just dent mild steel dies in the press... so I had to get out the big hammer! Most of my forging is done with 1, 2 and 3 lb. hammers... this one is 12lb! It will usually squish steel into junk in a minute, but with this stuff it seemed just right! Of course 12 lb. is NOTHING to lift at the gym, but when you put it on the end of a stick and have to aim it... it somehow gets really heavy :P

I ended up with what will be about a 10" bladed by 1-3/4 or 2" wide camp knife.

I know Bailey forges this stuff, I'm not sure who else does... but I can see why not too many guys do :)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Here it is with the profile cleaned up and the flats surface ground to remove scale and establish parallel sides. I like to forge really close to shape, so there was between 0.010-0.040" removal to get to the final shape at the grinder.

I dont' think the raise in the spine shows in the pic of the blade on the anvil, but you can see it in this shot (I think).

standard.jpg

Edited by Nick Wheeler

At least the blade is very nice. You will heat treat this complex stuff in the forge? Without an oven this could be the hard part of the work.

Your anvil is impressive :blink: !

ciao

Giuseppe

Mourir pour des idées, c'est bien beau mais lesquelles?

Thanks Giuseppe :)

Nope... I'm way too anal about heat-treating to try to thermal cycle and harden the 3V in my forge. If I had a higher working temp salt, I would do it in my digitally controlled salt bath and try the interupted oil quench that Crucible suggests in their literature.

So...this one will be done in a digitally controlled heat-treating oven. Probably air hardened (between "quench plates").

Oh... and I never cease to smile when I walk past (and hammer on) my anvil! It's a purchase I've never regretted :D

Thanks!

-Nick-

http://www.wheelerknives.com

Very impressive. If you look closely, you can see the blade rise in both pics you have posted. When I go to buy my next anvil it'll be a Nimba, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Oh, that looks like the biggest they have... I don't see any feet on it.

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Thanks fellas :)

Yea, this is the Gladiator 450 lb. I looked at all 3, and the 120 lb. Titan would work awesome for knives! The thick waste of these puts a huge amount of their mass right under the work. Another nice thing, is the entire thing (as are ALL Nimba anvils) is hardened tool steel, so I can draw on the horn REALLY fast, as the horn has amazing rebound.

This big one is not NEEDED for blade work, but when I went up to Russel's shop to buy a 260 lb. Centurion... They had this one with a couple tiny pock marks in the face (so sold as a second) for a couple hundred more than the Centurion. I nearly broke my arm writing the check.

After having this anvil for like a year or so, I can honestly say I would have never regretted buying a Gladiator at full price. EVERY bit of the energy you put into the hammer blow, goes into the work, rather than being dissipated into nowhere.

Oh as far as reference, I'm 5'11" and about 220-230 (yea yea, I need to add the treadmill back into my daily gym regimen :o ) :D

I was really wishing I had my 50lb LG working yesterday when I was hammering on this! :lol:

Thanks guys! :D

-Nick-

hey nick,

glad to see that you're still at it... ;)

CPM V3 by hand indeed is a real "treat"... I tried that once ... made the blade but it was just not "economic"... with the powerhammer it works, but hell, it still is tough stuff.

what's wrong with your 50# LG??

Don't talk about the treadmill... my local hill awaits me... the weather is getting fair enough again (above 0°C), and I really need to get rid of a few pounds too ;) before summer time haha B)

runnin' runnin'... and more healthy food (or less food at all, as I usually eat healthy anyways)..

cheers

dan

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

C'mon... winter is the fat time of year :P I don't know anyone that looses weight in the winter. I for one am not as active in the winter as I am in the summer. I would love to get a Nimba, but I think a gas forge is more important at the moment :(

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

You are the MAN! 12 lbs.... :blink:

Be mindful

Practice kindness