Here's one I've been working on this week; a small tanto. The blade was forged from 1/2" round silver steel, clay coated and edge quenched in water. I have no idea what analysis the steel was, but it survived the water quench so i'm guessing a Wx steel. The saya, tsuka and tsuba are maccassar ebony, the habaki is brass and the heavy seppa, which makes up the weight from the tsuba, is copper. The tsuka has a same wrap top and bottom. The blade has been hand rubbed to 800x, given a deep vinegar etch and then further polished with very fine crocus paper and finished with 0000 steel wool and vinegar to blur out the scratches and leave a crystalish finish.

forged_tanto.jpg

This one still isn't quite finished ; the saya shrank, and needs carved out deeper, the saya and tsuka need laquered, and i want to play with embedding gold leaf in the laquer of the saya.

Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm still not pleased with the hamons i'm getting, but have just found a supplier for 1080 here in the UK, which I'm going to give a shot. I don't know how good this is for showing hamon (can it be water quenched?) but at least i'll have a bunch of steel of the same analysis to play about with, and so can refine my technique - and i know that any inconsistencies will be my own fault.

here's a closeup of the hamon at the tip, this is just under the light in my kitchen and it doesn't show too well; as you can see, it seems to run out towards the edge, but under right light you can see that while it does dip and fade, it can still be seen distinctly following the edge about 1/8" up, and there is a secondary temperline which more closely follows the clay. This was my second shot at h-t on this one, and i didn't want to tempt fate trying for a third time.

forged_tanto_tip.jpg

Excellent work, Jake.

That is a really great looking knife. "Silver Steel" seems to be showing up lately. I wish we could get a definitive description of the metal composition. Do you have any info?

tracy,

i started a thread about this in hot work, and the consensus seems to be that it's whatever the manufacture say's it is. I've only ever used it to make carving tools, so i never bothered to keep different batches seperate as it's all hardenable and thats good enough for tools, but since i started forging (that was my third forged blade) i have a way of making knives out of the round or square stock i have it in. I was hoping that it was all the same so i could learn to use it repeatably, particularly for hamon, as apart from it, i've only been able to get stainless (15-C - 27), O1 and D2. Ho-hum,

anyway, cheers,

Jake.

P.S. thanks for the kind comments everyone - finishing this one is proving to be more finicky than i had anticipated, but it's almost done and i might post some more pics of the finished piece - if i can learn to use my camera better.

Excellent work, Jake.

That is a really great looking knife. "Silver Steel" seems to be showing up lately. I wish we could get a definitive description of the metal composition. Do you have any info?

42473[/snapback]

There's info in this topic about it.

Silver Steel