Last night I fired up the grill " A good excuse to smoke my big Hooka with the charcoal". I had gotten some special beef from my friend who kills a cow or bull every morning to slice up and sale at the market, No pre packaged beef here. Anyway He had given me a set of young bull male parts "Hillbilly Oysters" which I sliced in half, marinated in soy sauce and grilled up. It made my wife want to throw up just looking at them and smelling it but man was it good. This I get a special pleasure from because Thai people eat some wierd stuff so if she thinks its gross and I eat it, its a reversal of what usualy goes on and lots of fun for me to rub it in.

At the same time I grilled up a whole beef tounge and then peeled the scratchy part of the tounge off and threw it in the refrigirator and will make a stew from it today with Black Caradamom and then add some lime juice at the last minute before eating it. Tails are another one of the great stews with Black Cardamom and lime juice.

Any Haggis fans around? What have you guys been cooking up?

Bryan,

during the past couple of years I had a lot of strange food ;)

But maybe the most disgusting stuff I ever HAD to eat was during a monthlong trip through vietnam in 98' or 97'... Well I have to add, that except for this one time (story below) the food was DELICIOUS... (I love most of the asian, south east asian, chinese stuff...)

that was in saigon (aehm, ho chi minh city)... well I knew this girl from belgium, who lives in brussles with her mom, and once a year goes back to saigon to visit the rest of their family (and bring gifts and money)...

So for the first 5 or so days I was invited and toured arround saigon with the mentioned girl and some of her friends... (after that I travelled on my own up to the chinese border and "back" to hanoi... was a nice trip...)

One evening we were in for some seafood (which I usually do like)...

Mind you the seafood WAS VERY tasty... it was just the "apetizer" which was kind of "ugly / odd":

You get a soup-bowl filled with a blackish (but good tasting) sort of soup and a huge ducks-egg in it as well (I'm not too keen on boiled eggs but I don't mind it too much either...)... so I looked arround to see what the others are doing with theirs...

well so I did the same, opened a "large" part of the top and poured the whole contents STRAIGHT INTO MY MOUTH...

the only problem: it was RAW, well raw eggs are nasty but still edible..

BUT BUT there was a fucken full-size duck-embrio (argh!) inside of it... with the head wings, feet, everything... dead of course.

God, it tastet so nasty, ugly, eeek... and it was too large to swallow just at once so I had to chew it... the head was kind of "chewing gum"-style until it burst open and the liquid mixed with the rest of the slurry...

Ihhhkkk.... mates, I tell you, I had some strange food... have eaten insects, intestinies, cats (tastes like rabbit btw.) and dog (tastes, well, like dog... but not bad either)... But that Egg-stuff was just gruesome.

hell, but I would not be too keen on eating bull-testicles... any sort of testicles. eating testicles, well that somehow gives me the creeps :wacko:

But I have to agree, fresh, farm meat is the best.

friend of mine lives out in the midst of nowehere in france, and has a huge hunting ground there... pheasants, wild boar,... whatever VERY TASTY...

I'm fond of haggis, the food of the gods.My late friend Gaither and I used to celebrate Rabby Burn's day rather raucously (At least as raucously as two teetotallers can get!), since we all three had the same birthday. Sometimes I wonder just how many of us Ukrainian-Scottish Jews there are in the world....

aye, haggis isn't too bad... ;)

I mean it's edible... not that I would love to eat it every day, but I can eat it actually without grimacing <grin>$

but I love the highlands, the islands, single malts... and short bread... mmmmhhh...

PS: Charles... watch out for your post count :P

The duck eggs or embryos are real popular in the Philipines, I will never forget the hot smokey evenings and the smell of burning trash, the sounds of cats raping each other and a guy yelling Ballaaaat, Ballaaaat, ballaaaat even during the blackouts. I dont know the name of them in Vietnam but its balat in the Plillipines, I despise the things myself and those who eat it tend to throw up and sweat the smell of a embalmed corpse. I had a girfriend who would eat one and then try to kiss me, Its just nasty,nasty nasty. Here in Thailand there is one that is worse and it has almost the same name Ballad which is rotten freshwater fish mixed with papaya salad. For Thais its no problem as they have eaten it for generations but for Farang, "forigners" It can shut down your liver so ive heard. What happens sometimes is the locals dont think it will hurt you so they use the spoon thats touched it to stir your food or something and send you screaming to the out house to say the least. Ive seen a few guys eat that stuff that ive known but for me it was a question of totaly turning my back on western society and going native, Lets just say im not civilized by any western standards but I can still remember when I was.

Balaad- balut

balut.jpg

42601[/snapback]

yikes! that brings back bad memories... bryan ;) you really had to show me a pic of it, didn't you? ... geez... I still wonder how I could have smiled all trhough this food-torture...

as mentioned I'm not easy to "freak" with food and will eat almost anything (OH - There is one thing I do DESPISE, HATE even more: McDonalds... I just hate that ugly industry-fastfood... Now that is CRAP... not even if I'm bloody starving...)

anyways... yeah fermented fish stuff... you can smell it half a mile against the wind, and think "shit, something wrong". ;)

I've seen it, smelled it, touched it, but didn't eat it.

Whilst travelling I usually adhore to my simple rules:

1. If you can wash, cook, boil, steam or peal it, you can usually eat it.

2. if it Smells bad, don't eat it (doesn't mean it's bad (think about cheese), but usually means you will not like it, listen to your smell...)

3. Eat where the locals eat, and only if the place is well filled with locals... never if it's empty.

4. Don't, DO NOT, NEVER, eat tourist food... that's where it get's "ugly" ...

I have travelled quite a bit, and never seriously had stomach problems... never more than at home... and I always stick to my set of rules....

But sometimes you're a guest, and do not want to embarass your host and yourself, so you eat whatever hits the table... sometimes this is "Balaad"... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Tonight my wife was selling shishkbobs at a big street party and there were about 10 of us sitting together close to a drain pipe entrance. The K-bobs were great and selling well with my Arkansas style sauce and more than a thousand people were strolling about up and down the street, Then out of no where with no warning a one meter long KING COBRA shot out of the pipe right under my best freinds and his wives feet and about 5 feet from me and my wife. Needless to say tables were nocked over and total chaos prevaled as women screamed and we all acted as if wed already been bitten. The snake freaked out and was on the seen for what seemed like minutes but must of only been seconds, it then disappeared back into the drains to the rats and darkness. As my friend stood now 15 feet from the hole staring at it "The Dark Empty Hole" I quietley knelt down behind him grabbing the back of his leg and sending him three feet straight into the air. He let out a good yelp as he launched and realized it was me. :D About 15 minutes later I took a long peice of bamboo and reached under the table and bumped his sister-in-law on the leg who let out a good scream too. :D The games I played growing up are still fun, I was one of the ones moving my butt in a hurry too on the Cobras arrivel, Snakes are always exciteing!

Foreign Foods: Yep, eat what the locals eat. They have no idea how tourist food is supposed to taste. I have been all over and some of the best and worst foods were in China and Taiwan. Deep fried jelly fish tentacles was about the worst...the worst drink was the Chinese rice liqueure. It really did taste like gasoline. Blessedly, I forgotton the name of this noxious fluid......AKKKKKK! It just came to me: Mao Tai! DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! :261:

Argh... don't even talk about "Baj Jo" (Chinese "White wine" -> or "El Cheapo Rice Liquere")

That is BY FAR the MOST AWEFUL *I HATE IT* "Drink" I ever had in my whole life.

Gasoline? honestly, before I ever touch another glass of Bai Jo, I'd prefer pure gasoline... it can not be much less healthy or dangerous...

last time, one glass and I had to puke it out 5 minutes later... jeez... that stuff is NASTY..

RK's about as correct on this as it can get: DON't TRY THIS.

Not at home, not abroad, not if you're dead, not if you're the toughest bloody drinker walking this earth... stay WAY CLEAR of this stuff...

and yes, deep fried jelly fish tentacles, yup they suck.

on the other hand, I really loved most of the stuff I got to eat in china...

I often wonder if I could ever return to the United States to live and the awnser is most likely no. All politics, finances, personal oppinions, aside it would be for one reason and thats food. The food here is by far the best in the world, fresh vegtables year round, East meets west international food from French bread and goat cheesei to Persian Lamb with a whole dinner for five bucks including a salad. A few years ago a very good Irish friend was asked by another Bosten Irish American to eat cabbage on St Patricks day, He quickly stated "I will be eating Steak and Lobster, I had top eat that $$$$ because we didnt have any money when I was growing up". Chinese food and Thai foods are worlds apart, Thailands growing season is tropical with year round growing and there is a abundance of food, You will never hear about people starving or even going hungry here outside of wars or natural disasters, whereas China has people going without food all over the country and the growing season is similar to North America. By the way, The beef here is fantastic when you know the butcher. Most of the cattle are hand raised in very small groups of a dozen or less and they can be fed right or wrong dependeing on the hearder so thats where the butcher comes in and those cattle judging and beef production classes I took in my failed attempt at a degree in ranch managment. Did I mention seafood, chicken, lamb, goat, coconut meat, pineaples, eating young bamboo, red and green curry, sticky rice, 24 hour farmers markets, and garlic, by the kilo?

Bryan,

I for one love most of the thai food..

I grew up eating italian and thai food... as the friend of my mother back then, used to live in thailand for almost ten years... and he was a good "chef".... so when he could cook the most authentic thai food I have ever had in the west... I just love that stuff.

From that point of view I do understand you very well...

yes chinas population often is starving, never the less they got one of the oldest food-history in the world, some of the recepies are just sp "exciting".

and it is simply "wrong" to speak of "chinese" food, as there basically is no such thing as "chinese food"... it's cantonese, HK, Shanghai, Sezezhuan, Beijing and so on... and it is often as far appart as german and italian food ;)

well sure it has blended these days and one can eat bejing style food in shanghai... but it's like eating italian food outside fo italy... usually not half as tasty.

For example meat quality can be fairly good in some places, but it can really suck in other parts of the country..

Agreed, China is one big country with lots of diffrent foods. I have many Chinese friends here in Thailand. They are also about the largest tourism group now and predicted to overwhelm Thai tourism in the future. There are many authentic Chinese restraunts throughout Thailand and believe it or not Thailand supplies massive amounts of food to China from Jasmine Rice to bird nests. I just find the food a little boreing compared to Thai stuff. One of the best things about Thai food is all recipes call for fresh ingrediants no dried or frozen stuff. Vietnam also has some great food but I find you must be more picky about what you get. At my old house if you wanted to get rid of dogs you could catch them and a truck would come by and trade plastic buckets for them, a black one is worth 2 buckets. All the meat is sold to Vietnam and China. Thais or Thai-Thai dont eat dogs period. There is a few villages of Viet-Thais where dogs are eaten and thats where they dry the meat for export. I have eaten dogs a couple times in Korea and Laos. Laos is more of a hard luck menu as there is not much food there. I hired a Lao guy to work at my house once and the first thing he said upon arriving at my village witha big smile was "You Have Lots Of Dogs Here" :) You will hardly ever see a Lao dog running down the street but in Thailand they lay around all over the place including all out in the road, some how they are hardly ever ran over. Time to go, My wife just brought dinner to the office, Tonight were having Yum Talay which is a spicey seafood salad with glass noodles, big shrimp, squid, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and lots of lime, peppers, and cilantro. One of my favorites.

Yikes. I thought I was living well. Yesterday I made some skirt steak & onion kebabs on the washtub forge. Fresh lime juice and worcestershire sauce marinade, and black pepper.

Absolutely no bird embryos were involved, at all :D

Michael

I have some friends coming over for my annual Jew Boy St. Paddy's day party. I'm cooking up 10-15 lbs of my famous corned beef & cabbage. I'm not doing this one on the grill however but in my 20qt roaster. I've used it for heat treat a couple of times if that counts.

I'm also making a couple of bottles of my home made Irish cream using Tully as the base. I call it Foggy Foggy Jew cause that's what I become by the time I done drinking it.

I call it Foggy Foggy Jew cause that's what I become by the time I done drinking it.

lol! I'd like some that irish cream ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

Around 9pm I stopped off at 7/11 to get some junkfood, As usual I was completely fooling myself thinking they would have any of the kind of things they have in the States. Yes they have hot dogs but no mustard and no relish only sweet mayonaise which is enough to make me hurl just thinking about it, Then in the refrigirator box in a nicely vacumed packed bag I spied something, The first thing I thought of was "You when you read this" Daniel, It was some kind of super weird black chinese eggs, Then I rememered I had eaten them before, well tasted anyway and I though I would have to blow my guts.

On a related note I recently went to the butchers for some beef and there on the table was a big pair of beef eggs, I like to barbque them as I have mentioned before, So me wanting to have some fun and confuse the butcher I tell in Thai language, " Yes I would like to have a barbque and how much is the price? As he gently placed the eggs on the scale I in a very excited voice said ' "Mai Dai Mai Dai, Aw Kai d ow mai aw kai dui Farang gang khao gin khao khun deow Krap" Which basicly translates to " Just a second there I only want one egg because I will eat by myself thank you very much" I cant believe I said it with a straight face and the butcher turned totaly red as many friends and customers were gathered around listening. Then he got realy confused looking and tried to put one back and I couldnt take it anymore and burst out laughing then he and every one caught on I was joking and had a good laugh.