Pocket Change Mokume Video

If you dont still have it i will toss it up on my FTP and you can snag it from there.

~~DJ

Please do... it may be the only copy around now.

I'll save it, and youtube it as well for everyone's enjoyment.

Edited by Christopher Price

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

• 3 weeks later...
DJPratt, if you can post up a copy, that would be great... but I'll be doing a new tutorial anyway, next week.

I am hoping that I have come up with a new idea. I took 2 3/4 copper end caps and annealed one. I then took a bunch of pennies, knickles and dimes and washed them in muriatic acid and rinsed in water. I filled the hardened cap with stack until it was about 1/2" above the lip. I then used a ball peen to flare the annealed cap a bit and hammered it down over the other one until it felt like it bottomed out. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I am going to toss it in the forge and see how it does. I'll keep ya'll posted

1 in 5 people are muslims. What do you know about Islam?

Copper is the lowest melting metal you have there, unless you have new pennies, which are full of zinc. The coins need to melt a little copper and suck in between in order to weld... that's going to be harder inside 2 thick copper caps. A really long soak time at very-near melting temp, and even then it's "maybe". The reason I do coins in the open, is so I can see the surface boil up, and control temperature quickly.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

ahhh k, well I used fairly new canadian pennies. Not sure of their content but I heard others saying that they thought that a peice of pipe would work and I figured why use steel just to grind it away when the copper of the pipe pieces could be integrated into the piece. Anyway, it's all cued up...just have to wait for the wind to die down so I can fire up the forge and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Maybe what I'll do is in the meantime is wire up another stack of coins and compare results

1 in 5 people are muslims. What do you know about Islam?

• 2 weeks later...