Sign in to follow this  
Karl B. Andersen

Wrought iron

Guys, it has been my extreme pleasure to send out a BUNCH! of wrought iron to a lot of knifemakers on this forum and others.

I really look forward to seeing some special stuff made with it in the near future.

My piles got cut away down to almost nothing.

I imagine I could come up with about 4 or 5 more 50 pound orders, and that'll be the last of it!

The dimensions would have to be at my discretion!

Let me know!

This is an update to my last post!

I did have it broken down in a couple sizes, but forget that.

It's hardly worth it for me to try to figure out different weights and sizes with what I have left. So, $100.00 orders only!

That gets you a full box of somewhere between 60 - 65 pounds. (70 is the maximum for the flat rate shipping.)

I have sold one already since posting this this afternoon, so I only have a few left.

Don't just pay without contacting me first at Karl@kbaknives.com.

Hey Karl,

I gotta say man, that is some of the nicest iron i have ever had to work with. I have made quite a few parts out of it so far, love the stuff. Thank you so much for parting with some. If i had the cash id buy all of what you have left.

Cheers,

John

Guys, it has been my extreme pleasure to send out a BUNCH! of wrought iron to a lot of knifemakers on this forum and others.

I really look forward to seeing some special stuff made with it in the near future.

I imagine I could come up with about 4 or 5 more 50 pound orders, and that'll be the last of it!

Let me know!

43303[/snapback]

Hi karl I'm hoping to hear from you as well

Folks, I've had more requests for wrought iron than I can fill.

No more orders, please.

I wish I could give some to everyone, but there just wasn't enough.

Thanks again Karl, I agree that it is some darn good iron to forge and etch out. It will be sad when I use my last piece. Every scrap no matter what size it is I keep. Hopefully sometime soon you or someone else will score a nice load of it so we can keep playing.

It was great to have the different sizes to use. Here is a pic of my latest project that I forged from it.

Tomahawk

Nordic bearded axe

Edited by B Finnigan

Thanks Karl,

I haven't used any yet but have an upcoming project for it soon. Looks like great material.

B- did you wrap that eye or punch-and-drift it? That's exactly what I've been saving mine to do but I haven't been able to figure out the best way to do it... awesome work!

On both of them I used a 1" x 1/4" slit that I milled out (or round filed). It really helps to keep the eye nice and neat when you round drift it. The grain on the nordic axe gives it the wrapped around look but it is just hot drifted.

The one challenge with it on axes or hawks is it will split along some of the impurity grains when it gets thin and you are upsetting it to give more edge flare. A little borax and some near white heat and the splits will weld up perfect with no trace it happened.

I am in contact with a guy in the UK that will be purchasing a large quantity of new but old style wrought and may be buying all of his surplus from him. He will be sending me some samples and if the frieght is not outrageous I may end up with more then I will ever use. There is one company left that is making the old type of wrought iron and he is in negotiations with that company right now.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

Edited by B Finnigan

Hi Karl,

Hope you'll have a chance to ship my box soon -- I sent the money by Paypal back on March 6, since you had said above and in an email to me that you still had some available. I hadn't heard from you since before the board went down, so I thought I'd post here just in case your email went down too or something.

Thanks,

Michael

I found that if you use FC (1:1) and 20% vinegar it brings the pattern up even better then using either of them seperately.

Let me know!

So How do I get me some of that?

Dan

I found that if you use FC (1:1) and 20% vinegar it brings the pattern up even better then using either of them seperately.

I use nitric because it's aggressive and you get a woodgrain texture.I might blue this one and burnish the raised grain.

I have not tried nitric yet on the wrought. That sounds like a good experiment for the next wrought project. That guard looks sharp just the way it is allready. Make sure you post a pic of the sword when you get it done.

Edited by B Finnigan

Over on The Knife Network in the Outpost forum, Gene Chapman made a frontier folder and posted some pictures of it. I decided to give it shot and finished it up last night. It is all handforged from 1084 with no pre-forming or grinding. The bolsters are some of the wrought Iron I got from Karl. It got an overnight etch in 20% vinegar to bring up a little of the grain. It was cold hammered to give it a fish scale look. I used my stone file to put the edge on it. These little knives are alot of fun to make and can be done in one evening. Drawing out the rat tail to over twice the lenght of the starting stock is a good blacksmithing exercise.

frontier_folder_002_web_web.jpg

frontier_folder_007_web_web.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan