scandis2.jpg

here's a couple i'm working on at the moment. the big one was supposed to be a seax, but somewhere between design and execution, i got a bit carried away, and now i don't know what it is.

seax1.jpg

the blade is flat ground 6mm layered japanese sumigashi steel, with milled fullers. the guard is fabricated from brass, the basic form copied from a merovingian seax, but carved into a zoomorphic motif of an eagle killing a serpent, which seems a fairly obvious mythological topos, but the only example i can think of is from the odyssey. the wood is purple heart, and the bolster will be carved to form the eagles wings, while the pommel will be an eagle head, and both will probably be inlayed with copper details. the handle itself is narwhal ivory, with steel ferrules which will be carved and heat blued. i'm starting to think it's moved away from being a seax, and is now more of a kopis or falcatta. any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

scandi_handle.jpg

the smaller knife is less complicated, and far closer to completion. it is obviously scandinavian influenced, but with scottish/celtic accents. the blade is 5" swedish laminated steel with a ridiculously hard (64 rw) edge but good flexibility, the handle is carved reindeer antler and carved maccassar ebony, with a cast and carved sterling silver spacer. i just have to tidy up the grind lines and polish, and make a sheath. let me know what you think,

cheers,

Jake

scandis1.jpg

Well, they're both awesome, whatever they are! :notworthy:

The big one seems to have morphed into a Persian sort of thing to me, or a seax as re-imagined by someone like Burne-Jones or Rosetti.

The little one looks like the perfect blend of nordic and Celtic for northern Scotland.

You officially rock. :ylsuper:

i guess you guys are right. everything i end up designing that isn't completely traditional seems to end up with a persian/eastern bent. i like curves. i'm not exactly au-fait with persian style carving, but i just took another look at jake pownings amazing "spirit horse", and it seems that celtic/norse decoration can work with eastern forms, if it's done right. i may be able to pull this one off yet!

thanks guys.

p.s. i just polished and etched the puuko thing (mirror polish and vinegar etch), and took a better photo. the edge actually is that colour, just from the etch. thanks for looking.

scandi7.jpg

Both extremely neat. I too thought Persian when I saw the big one. Like the collar on there. I design a lot of blades, way more than I make... I'm always sticking collars on them and always have it in the back of my mind that it must be worlds easier to draw them than to actually make them. heh...

I fourth the Persian influence- just call it a Persian fighter "Phoenix" (rising from the ashes of your seax attempt- with the bird looking accent on the edge) :) Awesome work all the way around.

I just don't know, too ....:)

but, of course, two very nice and special works !!!

I like both of your knives !!!

:)

Nice job on both.

Eagle and serpent: Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) was founded on the site where wandering proto-Aztecs (?) saw an eagle, perched on a prickly pear cactus, devouring a rattlesnake. But the big knife strikes me as more Persian, or from one of those places that ends in -stan, than Aztec.

Michael