hard wearing finish for carved wood?

hi, i'm about to start on a dirk for a customer, and was intending to make it out of london plane, as he wants a carved sheath of elaborate construction, and i need something that will carve cleanly and have a very strong glue joint from a relatively small contact area. However, plane is much softer than my usual maccassar ebony, and i was wondering how to toughen up the finished surfaces. i was thinking about linseed oil, but the piece is to be stained after carving, and i wondered if this would affect the application. any suggestions would be much appreciated,

cheers,

jake.

• 2 months later...

Linseed oil on its own will soak in a little, but without mineral spirits or denatured alchohol it probaly wont dry. I woulndt recommend it for handles or hard wearing parts. Like bob said, wood hardener or epoxy consolidant will work on softer woods. It is meant for restoring rotted wood, so it might not penetrate all the way through unless the material is porous enough. At the least it will harden the surface. I dont' know how it will look stained. You might want to epoxy the whole handle in a vacuum or a heat box.

Linseed oil on its own will soak in a little, but without mineral spirits or denatured alchohol it probaly wont dry. I woulndt recommend it for handles or hard wearing parts. Like bob said, wood hardener or epoxy consolidant will work on softer woods. It is meant for restoring rotted wood, so it might not penetrate all the way through unless the material is porous enough. At the least it will harden the surface. I dont' know how it will look stained. You might want to epoxy the whole handle in a vacuum or a heat box.

thanks. this piece is now finished and delivered- i ended up using shellac over the stain and finishing it with wax - you can see the results in show and tell under 'highland dirk'.

You can soak it in wood hardener.

Can you get that without a prescription? :blink:

Edited by B Finnigan