here's what ive been doing this week. Stainless neck knife with blue stained london plane handle and ray skin collar.

wee_blue2.jpg

and a couple of simple sgians - the first of london plane again, stained brown, with maccassar pommle and sterling silver mounts, and the second has a maccassar handle and zebrano pommel

cheap_sgian_2.jpg

cheap_sgian_1b.jpg

let me know what you think,

cheers,

jake.

Edited by jake cleland

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

I can't see any pictures, :huh:

sorry - don't know whats going on today - do they show now?

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Nice triplets.What are the specs of the one with ray skin?

it's a 3 1/2" blade of 12-C-27 Sandvik surgical stainless, 2.5mm thick, heat treated to around 58-59 rockwell, with a narrow tang secured with a threaded brass butt-cap. The blade started out as a sgian dubh blade with a bottle opener in the spine, but i could never quite get the geometry of the bottle opener right, and it was too dangerous to sell and too ugly to keep, so i ground it off. this was pretty much a salvage job, but i think it looks pretty good. the ray skin primarily works as a lock for the knife in the sheath - which is saddlery leather glued and reinforced with copper and rivets. the second copper loop at the throat of the sheath allows the thong to be brought through there to form a belt loop.

thanks for looking, and all the kind comments,

cheers,

jake.

www.knifemaker.co.uk

Albert Einstein

Hello

I am a new member & registered to comment the integral piece.

This design seems like mother of all integrals to me... VERY elegant. Thanks for the show!

Kriku

Lovely work, that necker is a style I especially like.

Perhaps it would be edifying and amusing to have a thread on "Saves". Lord knows, I've had to do enough of them!

Welcome aboard, Kriku. So far, I believe you're the only Estonian in our midst.

About time.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

Wow, that first was a salvage? Great job on all of 'em!

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website