I know thease are weird but what do you think ?

The deer leg bone and rawhide handled Sax has a 1084 blade , and the other is made from a allen wrench with

epoxy coated hemp cord wrap handle. I think they are a little weird but they are growing on me, The dlb sax thing could really use some ageing and dirt to look right. I don't know, what do ya think ?

Jens

DLBsax.JPGcord_wraped__spike.JPG

Potassium Permanganate will put a nice brown patina on bones and antlers. You can buy it from Dixie Gun Works. It is called "Old Bones" and costs a few dollars for 4 ounces; that will make about 4 gallons of solution.

Edited by RKNichols

The DB sax looks great to me - the wider, shorter blade and thinner, longer handle have a nice dynamic balance; good amounts of rough and smooth contrast throughout. Some dirt or stain would work, but I don't think it's a must - you could just let it aquire some patina on it's own.

The epoxy'd hemp wrap knife is not so successful, to my eyes - and I think it comes down to the combination of the wrap not looking very uniform, and the epoxy looking kinda lumpy, since the blade shape and blade/handle balance are nice. A cord with a smoother surface, or a wrap that added something to the package (twist? braid? something) might push it away from 'homemade' and back towards 'custom' - Even knives from 'primitive' cultures have really tight (visually) wrapping, that plus the Japanese esthetic means a good wrap is hard to pull off. :D

Good looking knives!

:35:

Thanks Jeff, I'm not happy at all with the way the cord wrap turned out, and Homemade Not custom is a pretty fair description ! I might try to remove it , anyone know of a good way to soften cured epoxy ?

Jens

to get the epoxy/cord off, i would wedge the blade in a pot of water (oil it well first), with the handle sticking out, and burn it off with a torch (outside - burning epoxy fumes are not good!). I've found that heat is the best way to destroy an epoxy bond. acetone might work, but i'd imagine it would take a long time. Alternatively you could just grind/file the whole lot off. I like the blade though, and the seax is pretty cool too,

cheers,

jake.

That seax is pretty cool. I like it. I do have one suggestion though . . . Put it in the SITH :D That way there is a chance that I can get it ;)

Edited by Bob Ouellette
  • 6 months later...

Potassium Permanganate will put a nice brown patina on bones and antlers. You can buy it from Dixie Gun Works. It is called "Old Bones" and costs a few dollars for 4 ounces; that will make about 4 gallons of solution.

Just a thought, but back when I was making bone chokers and such, I would buy clean white bone beads and boil them in a strong solution of tea, like whatever bagged tea was on sale. I would use 3 or 4 teabags per pint of water for a darker finish. and boil the bones for about 2 minutes then leave them in the tea until it cooled to room temp.

Might be worth a try if you've got spare bones.

• 1 month later...

for the epoxy what i have done is take a O/A torch and ajust the flame properly for welding and then hold the torch about a foot away from the piece and try to heat it evenly ...i think i held onto the blade with a pair of welding gloves on and was fine...i was just needing to get one of the last handle pieces off....it worked pretty good...make sure you keep the torch far enough away that it wont burn anything though