Hate to see Bob drop out....

I might have to drop too, unless I can get into the shop this next weekend.... between, renovating the house and dirt work and planning on the garage we're building, I haven't had time to work on a knife in about 3 weeks......

I'll let ya know this weekend..... :( :(

Gary

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to see Bob drop out....

I might have to drop too, unless I can get into the shop this next weekend.... between, renovating the house and dirt work and planning on the garage we're building, I haven't had time to work on a knife in about 3 weeks......

I'll let ya know this weekend..... :( :(

Gary

Man, smiths dropping like flies!

I need to grind on mine, but I think I have the shape I am going with. All forged and ready for some grinding. I may hammer another out this weekend in case I screw something up.

Now, question time. I have some cypress burl with a flame pattern I think will fit and some nice ironwood. This is a full tang seax. What should I put on?? Straight 1084, going to try for a hammon.

--Carl

Well, I hate to but I am going to drop my name from this.... My heat treat died recently and has set me weeks behind on commissions so I am working to get back up and running. Unfortunately I need to get some work done pronto for the folks waiting once I do and I won't have time to work on the seax.... sigh Oh well.... Still looking forward to seeing all the nice stuff folks make....

I'm sorry to see so many people drop out would it help if the date were extended till Mid September?

Well, don't extend the time for me alone.... If other folks would benefit then cool, but speaking for myself, maybe I can still get mine done if I dig in and do some extra every day... It is really the completion of the sheath that I worry over... I had a blade forged out some time back so the knife itself would be ready, anyway. Would hate to short somebody a sheath, though....

So, keep my name on the list for the time being and I'll try really hard to make the deadline as it stands....

Mac, as much as I'd like to be a part of this KITH I just don't think I'll be able to make one, even with an extended deadline... I don't know what my schedule is going to be like after I move and once I start school permanetly. Its too bad cause this would have been a fun one :(

Mac i could use the extra time as well i have not had time to play with mine since forging it.

Bob

I am extending the date of the SITH till September 17th. That should give those folks running behind a bit more time to play catch up.

I think I got all the changes made to the list. Please let me know if you need to be added or removed. You have till September 15th to make your final decision.

After all the Seaxes are completed I would like to put everyone’s blades on my web page with a description and why that design appealed to you. I think with all the variants out there it would be great to show how much this shape is making a come back and just how cool it is. What do you think about this?

SITH List

Primal Fires

1) Jens Butler (Oakwood Forge)

2) Douglas Martin

3) Adlai Stein (Macabee)

4) Michael Mara (RadHarc59)

5) Carroll Hale III (Spike)

6) Thomas Powers (Bog Iron)

7) Rusty Clark (Rusty Shovels)

Bladesmiths Forum

8) Adam Ridlon

9) ScottB

10) Kristopher Skelton

11) Jaimie Boley (polarbearforge)

12) Jared T.

13) Gary Blessing (Ice Tiger)

14) Carl W. Price (CWP)

15) Robert Mayo

16) Chris Delancy

17) Bruce Norris

The Outpost

18) Andrew Garrett

19) Charles D. Prokopp (cprokopp)

20) Bobby Keller (boo)

21) Cory Owens

Yahoo Groups

22) Osbourn Hrothgarson (Oz)

23) Bob Young

24) Michael Strohscher (Mike Stroh)

Jeez, and I just got mine finished. :P

Here it is: Beowulf's Seax.

seaxandsheath.JPG

Blade's about 10", clay hardened with a really nice hamon. The sheath is constructed as authentically as I could get it, with braided keeper and hanger, woven leather buttons, held together with brass nails. I even went so far as to tool it, something I rarely do. But I had this cool Saxon decorative motif called "The Wildman" or "Grendel" that I had to use.

Just for merdes et risants: here's a purty good pitcher of the hamon.

seaxyhamon.JPG

Howzat?

B)

I'm taking the time extention to re-work the handle, but here is a preview of the blade , I just finished re-polishing it . The 8 inch long 1084 blade is getting a new and improved bone handle, Ill post pics when its closer to being done.

Jens sax.1.JPG

Edited by Jens Butler

Looking good Jens! You really are getting the hamon down, all mine look very subtle and faint. Tried re-etching one, it looks nice when the Ferric Chloride is on the blade, rinse it off and polish and it just dissappears!

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't worked on the SITH for a while, but got back into the shop and managed to get the handle roughed out. Here is where it is at so far, the handle is not glued yet, I am still finishing it up.

6150_Seax_05.JPG

6150_Seax_06.JPG

6150_Seax_07.JPG

One month to go! I have been getting very little shop time lately, but I am determined to see this one through. I managed to get out on the last full moon to heat treat a couple of projects... thought I would share a pic as proof that I'm still in. Since I figure seaxes are really hard users I forged it from 1065 w/ an elliptical taper (not sure what else to call it... thickest point of blade will be a couple inches from the handle).

seaxy1.jpg

I walked into giant pile of free wood the other day... one of those right place right time kinds of things. Haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to use yet, but it will either be maple, koa, padauk, or cocobolo with wrought iron or copper fittings.

--adam