Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ouellette

Cutting Contest Winner!!!

This is the knife that I made Friday night before the competition. I want to thank Alan who pushed me to make it. I blame my winning on the fact that I was the only southpaw up there with a specifically left handed knife :P I also want to thank Ethan for judging the competition.

Anyhow, here's the knife. It was forged from a 3/8" coil spring. I triple normalized and triple quenched it in what ever kinda oil Harley has in his quench tank. I ground facets on the handle to make it more comfortable while cutting that nasty Velveta :ph34r:

Contest_knife.jpg

Looks good Bob. Do you have a grip or sheath in mind yet? Now that you can slice Velveeta, you have no excuse not to make a big pot of grits to put it in. I'm really trying to resist the temptation to make a rude joke about cutting the cheese (wouldn't want to take the opportunity away from everyone else) :rolleyes: . Wish I could have made it up there this year, next year I hope to attend again.

Michael

I don't plan on adding any handle materials. I like the look of the facets and just the overall feel of the knife. I may have my brother make a nice wooden box for it. After all, it is a kitchen knife.

I also don't want to see any more Velveeta for a long while... that stuff was gross. And I'm not sure if I was the best at cutting the cheese. Others were there that were far better but busy with other things so were not able to participate. ;)

Edited by Bob Ouellette

Bob

Wheres the pics of you cuttin the Cheese? :D

Ron

Ya done good Bob, that was a cool little knife. Congrats.

:35:

Yeah, I missed the cheese, but I caught you slicing the lemon that won it for you. I'd estimate the thickness as about that of tissue paper.

long live the left handed knifemakers !!!!!:):):)

Thanks for all the comments. I think Josh (the piper) had taken a whole bunch of pictures durring the competition, and one of me showing off the prize with the knife in my mouth. I can't wait to see the pictures that he took.

OK - stats:

Blade - 3 1/4 inches long, 3/4 inches wide

O.A.L. - 8 1/4 inches

I think all the acid from that lemon got to it because it's rusting <_< Oh well... time for that hand rubbed finish :ph34r:

That's called "patina". Sorry I missed you guys.

It would be a patina if it were even and not pitting... but that just adds character to the blade ;)

I really like the look of that knife alot. If it weren't for a lefty I'd be even happier.

Tom

You know Tom... It's possible to make another very similar. I still have a piece of that spring left (or right).

left or right you're killin me. What would something like that take to get my hands on?