I started forging this one for the SITH and I'm not real happy with the design but perhaps it's not a total loss. It started out as a ring pommel Iron Age Seax and ended up looking like a continental seax that bred with a Krambit. Should I leave it as is and finish it (maybe not for the SITH), cut off the ring and try for a bit more traditional Seax or should I start over? What do you guys think?

celtkram.jpg

Edited by Macabee

I would finish it myself. Has a good look about it. I am curious as heck to see the finished project.Your call , but thats my opinion.

I think it's cool...I'd finish it as is. You might get additional insight or inspiration if you push it a little closer to finished.

Brian

Maybe give the handle a little bit of an hourglass shape?

Antoine

I think you are onto something there. I drew line on the grip to show an hour glass taper and it looks really good. I'll try and grind the grip and heat treat this week.

When I was reshaping the grip I slipped and ground into the ring splitting it. Needless to say I had to remove it. However I like how it's turning out despite cussing myself out for an hour over being stooopid. I'm polshing out the grind marks and would like to HT this week. I hope to have progress pics up soon.

Edited by Macabee
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep going. Don't fret about being "stooopid", It's just talking to ya.

Remember the ugly duckling? The blade looks fine. I have some crown antler that is just asking for a blade like that.