• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Fox Creek

Knifemakers that have influenced me....

50 posts in this topic

I think that we all have knife makers in our lives that have influenced out knifemaking, some through direct contact and learning, others through the media of print and photography. For example, very few actually knew Bill Scagel, but many makers have looked at his work in detail though indirectly and found it good. The only time I think I have ever seen a real Scagel blade was in a knife show many years ago at the Memphis Ornamental Metal Museum. It was in a plexi case and being allowed to fondle it did not seem to be probable. Nonetheless, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I looked at a long time, and remember being surprised how big it was, a big meaty bladed swept bear skinner type of knive. It was very scuptural and some how "right." I have never forgotten that knife, but my work is nothing like Scagel's. Once a year or so, I think that I will forge a "Scagel" blade, but it never works out. I just can't get that to come out from under my hammer somehow. Inimitable I think is the word, at least for me.

My influence is every one here :D

I have only made a couple of blades to date but every time I log in and see a new masterpiece I just sit in awe and hope I can come even close.

I think the few that really inspire me are Jay A. Loose, Tai Goo, and of course Don Fogg.

You guys are Great!

Those are fine influences , alright!

Edited by Fox Creek

I've been influenced by the work of Bill Moran an Jake Powning. I've also been influenced by the Japanese in the way that they make their sheaths. That is what got me into the wooden sheaths, then I found Jake's work... just wonderful. Although I have been influenced by Jake, Bill and many others, I think I have a style that is uniquely my own.

This is a hard question to come up with a complete answer.

Direct involvement there is just one man.. D'HOLDER D' has answered every question for the last 6 or 7 years. He has been much more than an influence. He taught me all I know about stock-removal.

Influence to me means the men and their knives that have tripped a trigger in me. We have several right here on our forum that have raised the bar on my forged knives. DAN H., LIN, RAYMOND R., WINKLER, WHEELER, and most of all Mr. DON FOGG. ED FOWLER has been a huge help in my heat-treating.

As much as I admire JAKE P. and R GRAHAM, I will never attempt a short sword much less a long one. Same with the Japanese style knives. Beautiful, but not for me.

There have been knives come from my shop that resembled Scagel, Barnes, Moran, Cordova and the list could go on.

Just some thoughts

Chuck

I forgot to mention that Larry Harley, Randal Graham, Mike Blue all had an influence on the way I view knives and my general philosophy that surounds knifemaking.

Don Fogg, and Fogg with Sayen/Kelsoe, Rudy Ruana, Louie Mills, Fiorini and Daryl Meier for pattern-welding, Ingelri, Ulfberht, and Leutrit, collective works of Joseph Rodgers Company and lately, JP Miller.

Fikes makes an ok knife once in awhile...

:D

My main inspirations are the two people I consider my mentors. First is Thomas Powers who first put hot steel in my hand and then when the burns he healed he showed me which end to hit and what end of the hammer to use. Second is the great Hugh Bartrug who taught me how to make Damascus. I could ramble on with lots of words about both smiths and about how much they taught me but it would be inadequate.

Then there are the rest of you guys who never fail to inspire me and make me think about my craft. I think I have improved by leaps and bounds since I started reading this forum.

Edited by Adlai Stein

The strongest influences on me were Jimmy Fikes, Fred Carter, Gassan Sadayoshi and Wolf Loechner.

I'm a lowly sponge, I soak it all in and try to keep what works for me. ALL you guys are my influences, hope you don't mind! ;)

My influences and inspirers would be Randal Graham, Don Fogg, Allan Lee, Snori Sturlison, John Hooper, Patric Barta, Peter Johnson and Ulrich Hennicke, and the ancient weight of tradition that compels me to do this stuff. Some of them are like brothers and some I've only seen through their work but they are all tremendously inspiring.

Yes, Jake, I know what you mean. There are maker's names that are very familiar to me, like old friends, that I have never met. Only through their work. There is a kinship somehow.

I'm a lowly sponge, I soak it all in and try to keep what works for me. ALL you guys are my influences, hope you don't mind!

What he said.

Of particular note, are Ron Claiborne, Tai Goo, and Art Loose.

Thank you all.

Edited by prizzim

The one who influenced me the most would have to be my Dad who taught my how to make knives 25 years ago. He has also tough me much more over the years.

The makers who have inspired me through their work are.

Folders:

Tony Bose

Bill McHenry

Forged blades:

Don Fogg

Jim Schmidt

Jimmy Fikes

Pattern welded steel:

Hank Knickmeyer

Don Fogg

Derryl Meier

I would also love to own a knife by each of these makers.

Edited by Don Hanson

Well, long before the internet, as we know it, there was the library. Got a wild hair one day and decided I wanted to forge a blade. so Dr. Jim Hrisoulas was the first and only for a while. Learned through his great books. Thanks to his quality teaching, I actually was successful.

I bought a knife digest at a gun show and marveled at the works of a guy named Daryl Meier. That American flag bowie, WOW! In the same book was a young guy who caught my eye. Tai Goo from Arizona. Jody Samson as maker/designer. Later on guys like Michael Bell, Louis Mills, Don Fogg, Randal Graham, all were,and are, more than willing to pass on their esoteric knowledge.

There is a second category of makers I'd like to include. Smelters and melters.

My buddy from the great White North, Greg Obach has sent me countless papers and links to help out with a tough question. Then there is my berserker buddy from Tallahassee, Jesse Frank. That guy is already a master and like Greg, is right there to help you out. Jeff Pringle was one of the first guys to influence me on smelting and melting. Mike blue, Arik Estus, Brent Finigan, Theodore Gray, all have been influential in the field of making it from scratch.

I'm not a real bladesmith yet, so I continue to learn from all who are willing to share their knowledge. The list of influential bladesmiths grows each day. There are a lot of future masters right here, if you ask me. Jerry

Edited by Bennett

I'll go along with Alan, the sponge thing. Every time I log on I see something different and learn something. I look in awe at the works of all you guys.Guess my biggest inspiration is my bud Dean from the north. Was shooting the bull with him one evening after a hunt , mentioned I would like to try making knives. He got me talked into it and now I am hooked. Can't watch a movie without looking at the blades.Seeing how all of you do your work and getting advice from all of you is priceless to me.

I would have to say the same as many of you. With a couple others thrown in.

Don Fogg (of course) :)

Jake Powning

Rick Barrett

Peter Johnson

Vince Evans

The first knife show I did there was a banquet after the show and Wayne Goddard was the speaker. What he had to say got me eventually going in the direction I'm in now although it was several years in the process. He said there were alot of great knives at the show but it looks like one or two makers could have made them all. That has stuck with me ever since. One morning while perched on my throne several years ago I was looking at a Blade Magazine and saw some of Daniel Winkler's work and that was another trigger. It sure doesn't hurt to love what your doing.

I'm not doing blades at this point in my smithing-career, but when I was, my main influences were Jake Powning, Don Fogg and Tai Goo.

Right now my main influences in "functional art blacksmithing" are Susan Hutchinson, Christopher Winterstein, David Gignac, and Sylvie Rosenthal (who is actually a woodworker, but her work is very inspiring)

And my influences in armouring are all the 15th century Milanese armourers, and 16th century German armourers.

im new to this but my greatest influence would b my granpa and my pop who taught me if ur gonna do something do it well.and b proud that u tried

I agree with Mr. Longmire- I'll take information from anywhere I can get it.

I think the biggest influence is any maker who goes out of his way to give others information. Mr. Goddard, Mr. Fogg, Mr Hrisoulas, and Mr. Fowler come to mind quickly. For me the first real influence was Mr Bob Engnath. My first 4 knives were from blades he made ( I still have a push dagger I made from one). I still have one of his catalogs and thumb through it when I can't decide what I want to make next. I never met the man, only talked to him a few times, but his help was immeasurable.

Edited by Dave Armour

The countless hammermen who have been before

the charcoal maker and iron monger

the bellow pusher and anvil tapper

from you we have come and to you we will go.

...and Don Fogg

Edited by Richard Furrer

I have been making the odd knife now and then for ten years now and other than the ABS tutors I had (jerry fisk being a real little fire cracker) I must admit that untill I saw jake powings work nothing in the Knife world really turned me on that much ,The other main influence was certainly British Blades and the bladesmiths forum especially the question of means thread which I followed and had me in stitches for a long time .I will finish my current blade and then hopefully a firey beard!!!