Moonlight Owl

Jim Kelso

Here's a piece I just finished. It's a non-functional table display piece. The body of it is cast shibuichi, in this case copper with 30% silver. Cast by Eznic Karakashian. The owl(Barred) is inlayed pure silver with a 22k beak. It's made to represent a wintery night with gently falling snow. The patina is the traditional Japanese technique used on sword fittings using rokusho.

You can see more on the development of this piece HERE

DSCN3343.jpg

Beautiful piece Jim =] Really like it.

Just curious, as I really don't know, it can still be called shibuichi even though the silver content is 30% instead of 20%? Does it end up being a term used for metals where it's primarily copper and a small amount of another metal? Was curious since it means "4 to 1" or something like that.

And Jim just to tease you "It's a non-functional table display piece." If it's a table display piece, why is it non-functional if it's functioning as a table display as it's intended? *chuckles* Just giving you a hard time =P

Edited by EdgarFigaro

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Just curious, as I really don't know, it can still be called shibuichi even though the silver content is 30% instead of 20%? Does it end up being a term used for metals where it's primarily copper and a small amount of another metal? Was curious since it means "4 to 1" or something like that.

=P

Shibuichi, as I understand it, despite the tranlated ratio, is any alloy that is primarily copper/silver. As Dan has pointed out there are various named categories, "white shibuichi", "dark shibuichi", etc. and I believe the stated percentages are just a guide. The point is to vary the percentages to get the particular color you want, not to conform to some arbitrary standard. 3%silver/97%copper gives a beautiful dark nutty brown. I've found that increasing the silver content beyond that starts to work into the grey ranges for which shibuichi is most known for.

Thanks guys for the comments. I guess function is a state of mind! :blink:

That is a fine piece of work. I just love silver.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

I like the colour scheme and composition Jim and the snowflakes are a lovely touch.

From what I can tell there's a texture in the background can you give us some insight into that? :)

Also I have tried logging in the Carving Path but it is not recognizing my password and it's even saying that username doesn't exist :(

Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...

Rósta að, maðr!

Thanks Hyllyn. Have you tried again to log in? Let me know again if it doesn't work.

The texture is a combination of things. Some of this is out of focus, but around the trees you can see chased testure with a couple of different punches. There is also grain pattern in the shibuichi and some porosity which I went with as it worked out fine in the design. I also did an overall ishi arashi which is pouring tiny garnet stones over the background with the trees and owl masked. A lot of the subtlety is not really apparent unless you can handle it.

owlemail.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everytime I see some of your work it makes me wish I had a fraction of the talent you do! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

That is gorgeous work. Simply amazing. The color, composition, detail... it is all stunning.

m

Ancora Imparo

Lovely piece, Jim.

I have so many barred owl around my house! I love to hear them talk to the coyotes...

Hi Jon. I see them around here once in a while, but hear them frequently. "Who cooks for you"

How about we get together and visit Jerry Williams to see the granite warrior soon? He should be coming along nicely.

Yes, definitely. I've decided that I want to have some small place in Barre's stone-carving history... I want to visit Trow & Holden and also take a class at the Barre Granite Museum on carving... but they're steep at $600. I'd really like to talk to Mr. Williams!