Cemetary shots...

DGentile

Guys... I almost can't believe it... but finally after many a year of waiting... I could afford to get my first Digital SLR... have been shooting with various film SLRs for many years but never owned a digital one...

bought my Nikon D70s along with a SB-600 flash, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 lens and some other goodies on monday...

here are a few first shots:

btw.. anyone who wants to see more... my "private website" is here: www.dgentile.net (-> photography)

critiques and comments are of course very welcome ;)

The shots were taken at a rather large local cemetary around sunset...

Postprocessing included only some usm, level-adjustments, chanellmixing (for the BW-effect) and a little bit of cropping.

The lens used: Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (I love that constant aperture lens).

Cemetary_BW1%20-%202.jpg

Cemetary_BW1%20-%203.jpg

Cemetary_BW1%20-%205.jpg

Cemetary_BW1%20-%208.jpg

Daniel

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

Dan i do not know a lot about taking pictures unless its point and shoot but the bottom photo is nice i like the way the statue is highlighted.

Bob

Dan i do not know a lot about taking pictures unless its point and shoot but the bottom photo is nice i like the way the statue is highlighted.

Bob

Thanks!

With digital it usually makes no sense to take BW shots "in Camera"... Black & white easily can be done with "post processing"...

the last picture was done by masking off the small statue and changing the rest of the pic to B&W ... inverting the selection (so that only the statue is selected) and reduce the saturation ("lower" the ammount of "colour information)...

all of the above could have been done in an old fashioned darkroom / photolab (I had one for a long time ;) )... but believe me... it involves more stinkin' chemicals as in the average bladesmiths shop... and tons of skill & time ;)

I love digital photography ;)

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

I'd love a nice digital SLR. I too used to have a darkroom. I ran film in 35mm, 120mm, and 4x5 inch sizes. Still have all the stuff, including the printing equipment with a color enlarger. And the cameras, and so on. Probably never use it again. :(

I'd love a nice digital SLR. I too used to have a darkroom. I ran film in 35mm, 120mm, and 4x5 inch sizes. Still have all the stuff, including the printing equipment with a color enlarger. And the cameras, and so on. Probably never use it again. :(

Alan, sounds familiar...

I had almost everything... Yobo Drum-rotation film developer (automatic heating, rotation), One color enlarger, one bw-enlarger (autofocus), Print machines (one two bath, one tripple bath), both fully automatic for sizes up to 19" wide... paper dryer... film-strip dryer... aso...

when I got into photography I first had an Canon F1... than an A1 as a "backup"... followed by a switch to nikon stuff.

I sold everything... too late... well below what it once was worth :(

and waited quite a few years before I could afford a DSLR again (back, when I sold the the lab and gear(I kept a bit of nikon stuff)) most DSLRs available where far from being anything "good"...)

I for one really prefer the "DIGITAL DARKROOM" ;) ... no more stinking chemicals... no more "waste"...

Sometimes I do miss the "mechanical, manual approach" though...

But digital so far has proven to be an amazing time and cash-saver ... (chemicals, paper, film)...

and whilst travelling it is the most amazing thing... I used to carry a small bag full of film, from ISO 64 (mostly Velvia) up to 1600... some BW film, some Colour stuff... )

and for most of "us" who it was "impossible" to change ISO inbetween a few shots... now it's at the reach of a button. (sure you could wind back the film... pull out the latch again ... put it back in... put on the lenscover and shoot again the ammount of frames there were already shot... or simply waste a lot of "material" )

The "instant gratification" is a whole different story and has indeed allowed me to "freely experiment and get a better undestanding".

A DSLR has really opened a different photographic world for me... so much more "comfortable" as a Compact cam ;) (I had an "olymups C5050" before)

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

Dan, I just got through looking through your galleries and thoroughly enjoyed your travel shots. You have a good eye for visual composition. I find black and whie studies especially intriguing, they capture subtleties of light and dark in a very evocative manner. There's nothing like a color landscape in the mountains though! Looks like you have a fine set of traveling companions too. I've just about decided I need to have a DSLR one of these days also.

Guy Thomas

Guy,

I apologize for having been a contributing factor to your next big bugdet-drainer ;)

thanks for the comments... I love B&W too... especially stuff with harsh contrasts and a bit of grain...

usually I travel along... except the pictuers from ireland (where I was travelling with a sort of ex-gf (don't ask... complicated))...

sometimes, especially if you're long on the road, you happen to meet people... ;)

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

B&W was my mainstay in film, the color I shot was either kodachrome or ektachrome professional. I did the artifact shots for my university archaeology program, and being old-school we only did prints in b&w. Once I started running the darkroom I switched to variable-contrast paper and my own color enlarger. Made series of prints from low to high contrast just by turning up the red filters. Fun! Photoshop is so much faster and cleaner, though.

The 120 and 4x5 stuff was my own playing around. I took several shots of lab techs with the 4x5 press camera (a Busch Pressman D) using those giant thermonuclear flashbulbs. Fun! Especially the surprised looks I captured by popping out of doorways with that giant camera. Then, the flash synch was so slow there was time to get the shocked expression at the intensity of the flash, which it captured just before they closed their eyes. :wacko: Kind of a "POOF!(click)" sound. B)

The value of all of it drops by the minute... :( I tried to sell the Durst automatic color print developing machine when I got the setup back in '93, but even then it was an unsellable dinosaur. I eventually traded it for a lens at the local camera shop, a $25 value at the time for a machine that sold for $800 new. Oh, well.

Guys... I almost can't believe it... but finally after many a year of waiting... I could afford to get my first Digital SLR...

So how much did the new digital set-up run you?

m

Ancora Imparo

I just got a Nikon D50 after the same type of thing. I sold my darkroom and still have my old Nikon SLR. Cool thing about the Nikons are the lens's fit the new digital SLR (1.5x zoom factor).

Mariah, I picked up the D50 with a Nikor 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens from costco.com for under $800.

--Carl

So how much did the new digital set-up run you?

m

Bad Question ;) I should really not think about this :lol::lol:

Prices:

Nikon D70: 880$

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8: 625$

Nikon SB-600: 240$

Flash-memorycards 2x 1GB SandDisk Extreme 3: 215$

UV(0) Filter B&W: 70$

Remote Control: 25$

Bag + other small stuff: 120$I

Sub-Total: 2175 US$

I got some sort of "change-gear deal" ;) where the store would give me some cash-back if I'd bring in my old stuff...

that was an Nikon F80 (Film SLR), Two good Nikon lenses (I had no use for the zoom-range... due to the cropfactor on digital SLRs), an old flash (which would not have worked well on the new things)... and a Fuji Compact digital camera...

for all of the above I got around 450$ (which considering what the stuff once was worth is almost nothing... but still better than naught ;) )

So after this I paid:

Total: 1725 US$

Believe me if I say, that this is quite a LOT of cash for someone like me...

Then again I saved up for it for some time now ... and I figured the deal was quite ok.

I just got a Nikon D50 after the same type of thing. I sold my darkroom and still have my old Nikon SLR. Cool thing about the Nikons are the lens's fit the new digital SLR (1.5x zoom factor).

Mariah, I picked up the D50 with a Nikor 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens from costco.com for under $800.

--Carl

The D50 is a good camera too... I like it's size and quality quite well...

there were basically just five reasons why I didn't get the D50 (and most of the reasons maybe do no matter to most ;) ):

- No Flash-commander mode (there is however a small addon for the flash-hot shoe....)

- No DOF Preview (Depth Of Field)... I used this quite a lot on my film slr... and would really have missed this...most who start with digital slr and didn't have a film slr before won't miss this... as it can easily be checked on the lcd after the shot was taken.

- No screen-protector thingy... now that for me was a huge sales-point for the D70... whilst I take good care of my camera-stuff it still sometimes get's scratched... and I prefer to scratch a piece of cheap user-changeable plastic instead of a LCD fixed plastic screen.

- Memory cards... the D50 takes SD Cards... and I already had CompactFlash Cards (two 512MB Cards)... so that would have ment that I'd "loose" 1GB of memory... if you're starting fresh... it doesn't matter... both SD And Flash are good formats... and priced fairly "close" (albeit CF tends to be a tad cheaper)

- and last but not least: the external controls... whilst plenty on the D50, stuff like metering mode has been moved deeper into the menues... and I never really liked fiddling with menues too much ;)

(then again for 95% of the shooting situations, nikon's amazing matrix metering does a "perfect" job... ;) )

if someone is starting out fresh... I'd consider both cameras... the d50 & d70(s)...

many will not miss any of the points above... I would do so, mostly because I have been shooting with Nikon Film SLRs for some years...

and there are, as carl mentioned, some great deals out there for the D50 + lenses...

Personally I believe that the camera body is not as important as the "glass"... Lenses are where you will invest more cash over time.

I still want that Nikon Fisheye (10,5mm f/2.8), a 30mm f/1.4 prime lens, and some sort of tele-lens... but that now has to wait... ;)

daniel

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

Daniel,

You make good points, the flash didn't bother me since I bought this with natural light, and lit shooting in mind. Even with my old Nikon SLR I hardly ever pulled out the flash.

The DOF preview was a bit of worry, but I have found that it is really easy to get a good focus manually on the D50 without it. Below is a pic of a couple of Black Widows mating that I shot with the D50 manual focus

bw1.jpg

Memory cards, I intend to keep my phd (push here dummy) Cannon powershot that uses cf, so I had no spare cards anyway. So I picked up a new 2GB SD card for $35 (140x ultra SD) and called that good. I plan on getting an iPod with a card reader so I can transfer images to the iPod if needed.

The external controls was again an issue for me. So far, I am happy with the D50, but this is my first digital SLR and time will tell if I made the right choice.

For me, the package with the 2 Nikor lenses did a lot of convincing me. With my old lens that got a 1.5x zoom, I had a really good starting package for good money. The one thing I am looking for now is the remote control. The other thing I miss on this package is the Bulb feature of my film SLR. I need to read more on the remote, but am hoping it can provide that feature.

How do you like the Sigma? That is supposed to be an excellent lens for the money.

--Carl

Carl,

first: the black widow mating is an amazing shot... albeit I have to add I would kind of mind living near a black widow spider ;)

the Sigma? like this piece of glas BIG TIME ;)

compared to the nikor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 it's a tad "slow" at focusing and a bit more noisy... both factors which hardly matter to me (I'm not into sport-photography ;) )...

the main reason I bought it: it's constant f/2.8 aperture... making it a "fast" lens. for what I do that is important to me...

years ago I often used a Nikor 28-70mm f/2.8 (I got it in used condition... for a good price... that lens would cost around 2500$ new)... I loved the zoom-range and it's constant aperture... but didnt't like it's size or weight that much

nikon now has a digital alternative: the 17-55 f/2.8... but that's about the same size as the 28-70 and costs around 1800$ so was out of my range anyways.

the sigma does what it can do quite well... it's a bit on the soft side with the aperture wide open... but better soft as blurry ;)

I actually am one of those guys who has a nikor 18-200 (f/3.5 - 5.6) VR (vibration reduction) on PRE-Order (takes three-four months in europe at the moment).

that lens got the best reviews everywhere and seems to be the only one of it's kind on the market these days having both good quality at the Wide and tele end... + Imagestabilization... that makes it the "close to perfect" travel & alround lens imho.

35$ ?! for a 2GB SD Card? yup... that's indeed a good deal ;)

remote control... hmm... not sure... with the d70s that works... actually the D70s can take a cord-remote as well (the D70 can't) the wireless remote (which I do have and find to be very useful) is really amazing... and works with bulp as well.

daniel

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

Thanks,

The spider is common around here. Freaked me for about the first dozen or so (first week in the house). Now I will take their picture and then kill them (these got fogged as soon as the picture was done).

That Nikor you have on order should be sweet. I would have to do something besides nature or knife photo's to justify it though.

The SD Card, I have a buddy that watches these things like a hawk. If I want something, I ask him and he points me to the cheapest place on the net. Pretty handy, like a personnal tech shopper.

--Carl

Nice spider shots!

I agree with the "soft" thing about Sigma lenses at wide-open aperture. I couldn't take that, so I sold mine. It was a 28-80 manual zoom for my Minoltas. At first I thought it would be handy to have a nice close-range zoom, but it was just never capable of true sharpness at macro stuff. Kiss of death for me with lenses. I have a great Vivitar 55mm f2.5 fixed macro for Minolta that is so sharp it hurts to look at, and then there's the Schnieder-Kreuznach 150mm f1.2 Linhof Technica lens on my 4x5 that is just beautiful, but unfortunately can't be put on a digital. Unless I can find a digital back for the 4x5..... ;)

Nice spider shots!

I agree with the "soft" thing about Sigma lenses at wide-open aperture. I couldn't take that, so I sold mine. It was a 28-80 manual zoom for my Minoltas. At first I thought it would be handy to have a nice close-range zoom, but it was just never capable of true sharpness at macro stuff. Kiss of death for me with lenses. I have a great Vivitar 55mm f2.5 fixed macro for Minolta that is so sharp it hurts to look at, and then there's the Schnieder-Kreuznach 150mm f1.2 Linhof Technica lens on my 4x5 that is just beautiful, but unfortunately can't be put on a digital. Unless I can find a digital back for the 4x5..... ;)

not sure about the digital backs for 4x5 ;) ... the medium format ones (phase one, leaf,...) are already very expensive... check this for some infor on largeformat backs: http://www.digital-photography.org/PhaseOn...ital_Camera.htm

I don't use the Sigma 18-50 for macro stuff... so I can live with it...

that is still on my wish list (a good nikor makro lens)...

and I just preordered a nikor 18-200 VR as my main "travel" lens... but here in europe they're at the moment "out of stock" and it'll take up to 4 months ... which is ok... as that thing isn't exactly cheap either ;)

I once was using a medium format thing... but that's some time ago... and it was large and bulky but the quality was awesome. never used anything like large format though ;)

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

Have you guys seen the hasselblad h2d-39? 39 Megapixel Digital SLR.

Just thought I would through that in to get some drooling going!

I have an old folder 120 camera with a zeiss lens that gave me stunning photos. Just can't seem to bring myself to film anymore.

--Carl

Have you guys seen the hasselblad h2d-39? 39 Megapixel Digital SLR.

Just thought I would through that in to get some drooling going!

I have an old folder 120 camera with a zeiss lens that gave me stunning photos. Just can't seem to bring myself to film anymore.

--Carl

yes... indeed I have seen a few things about the hasselblad online... drool drool... but then again It looks like it would cost as much as I earn within one year... maybe more if I had to get lenses and other stuff ;)

but still... amazing camera.

film... aye, I know what you mean... still got my first "own" manual SLR... a Canon A1 and a few lenses.... it makes good use as a paperweight right now ;) ...

especially since I have the nikon D70s... before I used to shoot with it once in a while... but now? it just sits there... and somehow I just can't throw it away.. guess I'm being a bit sentimental over the camera I had for more than 15years...

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile