Sign in to follow this  
SHARPENSTEIN

Cleaver in the works.

This is a meat cleaver Im working on. Im going to use it for outdoor cooking( lots of fun ). Im thinking of a Japanese style handle wrap sealed with somthing to make it water proof. What do you guys think?

Larry

l_039_copy.jpg

Looks pretty dang cool so far! You have to post the pics when you get that bad boy finished! What are the measurements of it? Thanks for the sneak peek. Willie Nappier

Thanks for the input. The steel is leaf spring, pretty old. The cutting edge is about 9.5 inches. I will post finished pictures soom.

Larry

I really like that

good job like to see it when finished

Ron

Wicked. Can't wait to see it finished that aught to chop through ribs as fast as I can eat them.

Great Start. I have made a bunch of these from leaf springs. The feathers fly during heat treating these flat, wide blades. I normalize very carefully, take the stress out during heat treat and temper very quickly. When you grind something this wide it is very easy to place stress from heat in the blade. I can give you specifics if you want.

I used to make the blades for some Sushi restaurants and Chinese restaurants. The cracking and warping drove me nuts until I got it to work. Made a nice anchor.

Jim

Chef_Bladesmith_forum.jpg

I just finished up the cleaver last night. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. The handle has a tiger stripe camoflage material underneath with a paracord wrap and turks knot. The camo pattern does not show as well as I had hoped but it still looks pretty good. My big mistake was not paying attention to wich way the cord crossed, some go one way some go the other. It would have looked better if they alternated every other way. I think Ill leave it like it is to remind me of my folly. Tell me what you guys think.

Larry

v_001_copy.jpg

v_004_copy.jpg

Awesome!! It reminds me somwhat in its' essence of a "banana" chopper used by SOG special forces during the wars in South East Asia- not the same shape but definately the same idea.

Was hoping to see how you finished off the tying of the knots (out the other side) as I`m doing pretty much the same finish on a hunting knife and was trying to figure out the best way to tie them off.

Dang cleaver has inspredme to go down the street to the butcher and fire upmy BBQ :notworthy:

Thanks for the positive feedback. When other crafsmen such as yourselves give praise, it really makes the effort more fullfilling. As for tying off the end, I simply pulled the cord through the hole at the end and tucked them under the cord on the other side. Just pulled everything tight, cut off the extra and used a few drops of super glue to hold it in place. I still have to seal the whole thing up so once I do that it will all be " frozen " in place. Thanks for looking.

Larry

I love the finish on that meat cleaver how do you get that type of finish??