Sign in to follow this  
DFogg

Florida Hammerin Smelt

They did an amazing smelt in Florida last weekend and got a nearly a 50 lb bloom.

Bloom640.JPG

I posted the rest of the pictures on Flickr at Florida Smelt

Jesse Frank has all the information if you have questions.

Man. I'd love to see the furnace that produced THAT!

Even more entertaining will be seeing them pound it out.

Thank you Don for getting a picture of me charging the smelter! Garrett and I had a great time chopping charcoal between charges! :D

I have GOT to do that one of these days... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Wow! Great job!!!

What ore and how much of it was used? How much charcoal and how long did they run the furnace?

I cant wait to try another smelt myself. :D

Randy

Randy, Jesse, after his cool move to the southern most suburbs "boonies" is awaiting internet access.His place is too cool! I do hope in Nov you can come down and be with us and we can compare ore to ore what you bring with what we have down here.It will help bridge the geographical differences and we shall learn more.Who knows what mutations we can bring to life.

I'm ready to get down and dirty!

Wow! Great job!!!

What ore and how much of it was used? How much charcoal and how long did they run the furnace?

I cant wait to try another smelt myself. :D

Randy

Hi Randy, the ore is a specular hematite and we used around 70 pounds. I'll have to review my notes to see how much charcoal we used but I believe it was less that 150 pounds. When using such pure ore as we've been using, run time really depends on how much ore you want to go through and how big of a bloom you want. This 50 pound bloom was impressive to look at, but bigger isn't necessarily good. Oh, and we were charging the furnace on average every 15-20 minutes.

Where do you get the specular hematite?

Where do you get the specular hematite?

The ore is sold commercially under the name Crystalgrit as a pre-sorted and cleaned blasting media. A number of big companies will carry it, and while the ore itself is relatively inexpensive, shipping can be a bit prohibitive. This last hundred pounds we ordered for the smelt came from Grand Northern Products, www.grandnorthern.com

I found their staff to be friendly and helpful. Plus they mentioned if I bought 10,000 pounds or so of the stuff they'd gimme a discount. ^_^