Joss

My "no frill" set up

My previous setup was huge and unwieldly. This one can be rolled and folded in 5 minutes into a small bag. I used 0.5" PVC "risers", which conveniently are precut to exactly 2' and threaded. They exist in various length.

Coop's initial post was invaluable to me - thanks buddy!

MySetUp.JPG

Man, how did you fit the girl on your desktop in there?

:)

So is it the artwork or the author that you are so fond of? Personally, I think old dear Robert is spectacular, but it's hard to find anybody who'll convincingly argue with me about it. Hubard may have invented his religion, but Robert bet him into it, and don't tell me that he didn't know what he was doing. Oh and thanks for displaying your photographic setup too. :P

Nice setup Joss. How did you attach the nylon to the frame? Do you have a favorite photos you would like to share?

My previous setup was huge and unwieldly. This one can be rolled and folded in 5 minutes into a small bag. I used 0.5" PVC "risers", which conveniently are precut to exactly 2' and threaded. They exist in various length.

Coop's initial post was invaluable to me - thanks buddy!

What is the light-diffusing material?

Edited by kbaknife

The light diffusing material is draft paper from an art supply store. I just cut 3 pieces to the right width and taped each to two of the horizontal risers so that I can roll them - that way I could also use shorter risers if I need a smaller box - which might be a good idea...

The only picture I've taken with this set-up is this one:

FoggBootShankJD.jpg

I need to explore how to use Photoshop Element and use the tools available to sharpen the details.

Brice - both, but the author is by far the most important. He's been the most important author I've read. With this said, I've been madly in love with Friday since I was 14 and I don't think it will ever go away...

The light diffusing material is draft paper from an art supply store. I just cut 3 pieces to the right width and taped each to two of the horizontal risers so that I can roll them - that way I could also use shorter risers if I need a smaller box - which might be a good idea...

Really nice pic.

What type bulbs? Wattage?

I use 5200K fluorescent bulbs - you can get them at Home Depot for cheap (that's also where I bought the work lights - they have 2 or 3 sizes and thoise are the small ones as they are the only ones light enough to clamp on those small diameter pipes), and they give "daylight" like light. My camera allows me to set the white balance precisely, so it's important for me to know the exact temperature of the light color. This pic looks completely different at another temperature & looses a lot of its warm colors.

Jim Cooper put together a great post on how to build one's setup on Bladeforums:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328550

My set-up is nothing more than my interpretation of is ideas.

Brice - both, but the author is by far the most important. He's been the most important author I've read. With this said, I've been madly in love with Friday since I was 14 and I don't think it will ever go away...

Great taste in books as well as knives. Though it sucks being in love with a literary character.

Though it sucks being in love with a literary character.

I'm also in love with a flesh & bone one - let me tell you, the litterary character is by far the easiest of the two!

Thanks for the inspiration on the no frills setup Joss and Coop , you guys have No Idea how much time this saved me at work just today ( first day of taking photos to put together a new catalog ) This works awesome !!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jens

Maby I can slip some knives in here for pics too B)

Light_Booth.JPG

Edited by Jens Butler

Joss is being kind in thanking me, but at this point making a light tent out of PVC is old-hat. That dagger is a GREAT example of the results you can achieve. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Nicely done. There are no excuses for poor images any longer from knife-lovers and makers. The cost of making a suitable studio tent on your own is only a few dollars.

Well-done, Jens! Welcome aboard!

Coop

Edited by SharpByCoop