Finally nabbed him!

The forge lies under a big oak tree.Caught this fellow ease droppin right over my head.Ive heard them chirping in the trees for a good while but have never seen one till tonight.Thought I'd check out the night time mode on the cam and frankly him being on the dark side 'hiding' I think it did fairly well.Stricly nocturnal I found out the auto redeye feature has its limits :)

flyingsquirrel.jpg

That's a cool pic! Never seen one of them critters. Seen plenty of the regular ones, even seen one try to fly once....

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

So...was there a large, bipedal moose with white gloves hanging around anywhere?

"This time for SURE!"

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

It that a flying squirel? Nice picture!

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

So where's Bullwinkle? :)

Ah, Naptime-- The Early Childhood Teacher's Best Friend

www.armourcutlery.com

I live in Central Illinois and didn't even know we had any here until a few years ago a hunting buddy of mine and myself were dressing out a deer at night from my "hangin' tree" and we heard this "thing" swoop by our head! We didn't know what it was! We turned and looked at the tree, and there he was, watching us! Almost exactly as your picture appears.

Curious creatures, aren't they?

Way off the subject, but I think them being here now is another example of global warming! Everything has moved about 100-150 miles north. These were NEVER here when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. Either were buzzards! They were down in Kentucky and Missouri. Now they are both here.

Next thing you know it'll be kudzu.

Awesome picture!

Edited by kbaknife

I got to looking up the tree this eve and found the nest.Its about 35 feet right over the forge.I suspect the lot of them has been enjoying a heated home when I decide to fire up.Ive noticed the leaves in the tree waving from the convection off the forge.

They are indeed curious creatures.He clung to the tree a awfully long time being real still and when I made a sudden move I noticed his mate hiding a few feet up above him.I watched them scamper in a fast spiral to the top of the tree and I mean spiral, like a cork screw.Took them every bit of 10 seconds to hit the top of the tree.I was standing there with my two cell AA flash light in awe.

I feel there is a lot to be discussed on the climate .Ive spotted falcons breeding here in the southern end of Ga.Ive never seen them before.Always hawks as the mainstay predatory bird.I feel it is a very important topic being our world is changing (seems to me) very quickly.I feel though the climate topic would be suited for the 'Way' forum if anyone woukld like to kick it off.I'm curious to know what changes you have seen.

Glenn, I've noticed some odd non-local beasties here in Tucson. They've been filtering up from Central America as their climate degrades. We've actually had jaguars spotted in the area. As our rather brutal Sonoran Desert gets even more so, we've had some startling visitors here in town. I've personally spotted coatimundis, coyotes, bob cats and a mountain lion. Those last two were a bit much, even for a cat lover like me! There have been bears in Udall Park, in the northeast part of the city. Urban golfers are getting some hazards they hadn't bargained on. Serves them right, sez I!

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

We've actually had jaguars spotted in the area.
Has this been verified? I'm extremely sceptical of a jaguar sighting in the US.

...Serves them right, sez I!

Amen! :D We've got more golfers than you can shake a stick at here in Florida. Every time you turn around some wiregrass comunity, virgin swamp, wetland or barrier island bordering sensitive sea grass beds is being turned into a 'golf community'. At least the gators and water mocassins make them a bit wary about retrieving balls around those water hazards!

Joss, I'm almost certain there are a couple of National Parks in the southwest where they have active jaguar populations being monitored by rangers and wildlife biologists. I'll have to check into that now. We've had rumors and sightings of jaguarundi along the coast here for years.

Guy Thomas

Yuppers, there had been unconfirmed sightings south in the Nogales and Green Valley area for a couple of years. Then some naturalists were able to get photographic proof of the beasts' presence in our more northern clime. I love felines, but the thought of one that weighs more than me and thinks of me as a Kosher snack just gives me pause.

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

Yuppers, there had been unconfirmed sightings south in the Nogales and Green Valley area for a couple of years. Then some naturalists were able to get photographic proof of the beasts' presence in our more northern clime. I love felines, but the thought of one that weighs more than me and thinks of me as a Kosher snack just gives me pause.

AWH! Go play with the big kitty. They are just looking for some loving. Poor misunderstood Kitty cat.

Coooooool! This is just one cool photo.

This rodent is lovely. What is its common name? A "flying squirrel"?

By the way Jaguars used to live in the Southern USA - Texas, Arizona, California. They were hunted to extintion.

The fact that at present there are Jaguar sightings in Arizona shows that the big cats are just coming home. This is a good thing. To hell with those golfers - I think of them as of Jaguar "Whiskas". :lol:

Jaguars are not rare in Mexico and HERE is more info on the USA Jaguars.

Jags are freaking awesome. Maybe the most elegant felines. Wanna have a pet Jaguar. Don't want to end up as Jag food, though. :ph34r:

Svet

They do look nice, but the transmission will give you heck.

Ever tried a VAZ? :ph34r:

Svet

Ever tried a VAZ? :ph34r:

Is that something like a Travant? I have a sneaking fondness for Eastern European trash cars.

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

Is that something like a Travant? I have a sneaking fondness for Eastern European trash cars.

Trabant is East German ((GDR). Its body is made of pressed cardboard.

VAZ is actually a pretty decent Russian (ex Soviet) car manufacturer. Their new models are pretty good and most of the old ones were based on FIAT but Jaguars are better, I believe... :D :D :D

I still keep a Moskvich Aleko made in 1990 in the original AZLK factory. It has a BMW based engine, it has many Audi ideas implemented in its design and it is heavier than them both too. :D

I was a kid when my father bought this beast in 1991 and later it became my first car. Dated a few chicks on its big & comfortable seats. :ph34r:

Svet

• 2 weeks later...

"I live in Central Illinois and didn't even know we had any here until a few years ago ...Way off the subject, but I think them being here now is another example of global warming! Everything has moved about 100-150 miles north. These were NEVER here when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. Either were buzzards! They were down in Kentucky and Missouri. Now they are both here."

I live in rural East Central Minnesota, much north of Central Illinois. When I bought this house in 1975, flying squirrels used to climb on the side of the house and jump to the bird feeder. This was at night, of course, and as a single, it rattled me at first until the flashlight revealed the beautiful large-eyed flying squirrels. Back then they lived in the attic, now they live in the rafters of an outbuilding tucked into the insulation or in the trees. The buzzards have always been here in the warm season. They migrate with the raptors in the spring and fall.

Perhaps you are now in the right place at the right time and are seeing them, and that habitat conditions are improving where you are and those critters are returning to the niche. Other indicators or influences of global warming and environmental health are the reduction of frogs, big topic in some fields of study, and the affect of housing replacing forests and the habitat of migratory birds.