Martin Ironwood and Damascus Camp Knife

Just finished a nice camp knife with 240 layer 1095, 15N20 and nickel damascus. Forged to shape with tapered tang and distal tapered blade. Nickel silver guard and pins, Premium Desert Ironwood scales. Great balance, smooth and quick. let me know what you think, thanks----Peter

www.petermartinknives.com

ironwood_camp_knife.jpg

Just finished a nice camp knife with 240 layer 1095, 15N20 and nickel damascus. Forged to shape with tapered tang and distal tapered blade. Nickel silver guard and pins, Premium Desert Ironwood scales. Great balance, smooth and quick. let me know what you think, thanks----Peter

www.petermartinknives.com

Great looking knife. Very nice damascus and I just love Ironwood.

But what constitutes a camp knife? When I took the ABS forging class, it was the only one that Hanford Miller taught. He was a nieghbor of Bill Moran and learned knife making from him. As a matter of fact I think you would have a hard time telling thier knives apart. Well to get to the point, he told us that a camp knife is used for everything aroung the camp including chopping wood and should have a blade of at least 10". So what does everyone here consider a camp knife? I'm in no way putting down your work. I think this knife is really pretty and great workmanship. Its just I would have called it a utility knife or a hunter.

I really like the blade shape and the steel is simply beautiful.

What makes a camp knife? It depends on who's doing the camping. There have been good arguments for a smaller general-utility knife, an ax for dealing with wood, and maybe a machette for campsite prep. I tend to think of what alot of good folk call a camp knife I would think of as a bush knife (to borrow Mr. Goo's term), or a utility knife hefty enough to chop and chop well... If someone carries a 15" Bowie hunting, I guess they can call that particular knife a hunting knife, even though it doesn't nessisarily fit with most sane folks (particularlly knifemakers) definition thereof.

Still, I tend to think of a knife with these proportions as a utility or hunter, but it might be bigger than it looks...

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook