I want to see your Hamon

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My latest, a W1 integral. I've been really enjoying the process of producing a hamon, and refining my technique aiming for better results each time.

Hi guys, lovely thread.   Heres one of my favourite hamons I made a few months back.    Steel is 125SC.   Jelle

I did this tanto a very long time, from the same steel

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

oh - the little fish made me laugh out loud! good sense of humor!

The hamons are great, guys. I hope to have one to join in the fun again, very soon.

take care all,

kc

Rather spontaneous hamon, No clay coat when this one formed

415397_684945628159_184806155_34215144_561569457_o.jpg

Here is one that I think belongs here. I have had nothing but outstanding luck with mixing w2 and low manganese 1075. Either alone give wonderful hamons, and together the interplay of the hamon and the layers is just beautiful. I don't mean to "toot my own horn." this is by far the best looking thing I have ever made. The second best came from the same mix of steel. It seems to be a cool way to get a subtle pattern and a hamon to imitate the traditional blades from Asia (though this is a German style blade).

Hope you like. thanks for looking.

Kevin

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new here. First I would like to apologize for my English. Perhaps the Google translator to help me.

I make Japanese swords. I use modern steel and oroshigane own product. I will try to put some photos here. Prefer hardening style Ichimonji where not paste. Otherwise, often creating hamon style osafune Bizen, Midar chóji. I'm here to try to upload the photos.

10-67_cepel_2000x456.jpg

a1-.jpg

File0092-R_3474x499.jpg

hada-oroshigane.jpg

katana hada 3.jpg

oroshi katana H.jpg

tanto.oroshi1..jpg

• Thanks 1

My Accidental Hamon.

I didn't set out to have a hamon. I've never even tried before. I didn't use any clay. I hardened & tempered in a very mundane way (McMaster-Carr Fastquench). The steel is 1075 form the NJ Steel Baron. When I got down to 400 grit I noticed what seemed to be a hamon. I showed it to Dereck & Nick at NESM and they confirmed it was a hamon, and advised me to etch it. I did, and here's the result:

AccidentalHamon3.jpg

Doesn't look as nice & sharp as the hamon people actually set out to make, but hey - it was free smile.gif

Truly facinating. I have gotten a couple hamons to show, but am unclear about what type of clay to use.

Is there something specific that you favor for clay? Why?

Do different clays have an influence on the development of the hamon?

I have used redneck clay from soft fire bricks. I crumble it up and then crush with a hammer - add a bit of water and then coat the back of the blade.

Thanks for your insight.

John

Double Y Design

Laurel, MT

Truly facinating. I have gotten a couple hamons to show, but am unclear about what type of clay to use.

I have used redneck clay from soft fire bricks. I crumble it up and then crush with a hammer - add a bit of water and then coat the back of the blade.

Thanks for your insight.

John

Double Y Design

Laurel, MT

I use furnace cement.Just add a bit more water to it to make a slurry with it.Coat the blade.

Edited by Hotanvil

Thanks for your insight.

John

Double Y Design

Laurel, MT

there are many threads dedicated to the specifics of clay and its use in creating hamon's...without falling too far down the rabbit hole on this subject, i would suggest several things...1) use a search for "hamon clay" or "clay hamon" becausse there is too much information on the subject to go over in a single post...2) before getting into trying to create a personalized clay recipe you may want to use furnace cement or the like...the 2 most popular are satanite and rutlands...this will give you an idea of what to expect and a base to work from...the fact is, many many great makers do not have a secret recipe...they just use straight up satanite or rutlands, and the hamon's come out beautifull...that is by far the best place to start imo...once you get the hang of it a bit, then you can start exprimenting with recipes if you wish...

really, in its simplest form, you need a substance (clay) that will stick to the blade and be able to stay stuck for atleast the first part of the quench (without cracking and all that good stuff)...it may help to think in terms of not just "insulating" and start thinking in terms of "preventing"...the main purpose of clay in this application is to "prevent" parts of the blade from being able to harden quickly...i hope that made even a little sense...if you really are interested you can pm me and i can point you towards a couple links that would be of great help so we dont have to clutter this thread or drag up old ones.

Modern steel that can create beautiful hamon do not need a special paste. Just paste any, that the blade holds the heat.

,, secret "recipes have meaning only for conventional steels. clay layer is very thin, about 2mm. But traditionally made of steel react quite differently to quenching than modern steel