John Smith

I want to see your Hamon

a little bit closer................have to improve my skill in polishing and in make pictures.

closeup.JPG

Wow!

Alan got it right as usual. :D

Wow! That is really cool! B)

James

Seax blade , 29 cm length , edge section W1., Autohamon without clay, quenched in water.

This is my first better try of making a seax-style-blade.

Wow indeed :)

wow in tripple deed

Old blade that I was testing out Hamon creation. This is my first attempt and success with a hamon. Blade was an old Black Diamond File (Back when I was recycling these things. I now buy actual known stock), said to be most similar to W1. This was also the first blade I had ever forged. It is tanto-esque minus the tang (which will recieve some TLC). Blade has only been hand sanded up to 1500 grit. Am currently awaiting an order of micro-mesh from 2000 grit to 12,000 grit, and some 5-micron aluminum oxide powder to help bring out the grain. I used a few cycles of Vinegar and Lemon Juice to see what I had got. Was honestly surprised that it worked considering my clay did not fully dry before cure, even after being in a dehydrator for 4 straight days (It bubbled in several spots). To the oven they will go next time. Alright enough of that. Here ya go.

Hamon-1500grit.jpg

Hamon2-1500grit.jpg

Edited by Daniel Cauble

Very nice Daniel!!

Depending on the clay you're using, a little bubbling is ok. When I use satanite, I don't bother with drying, and have no problems with the clay sticking (as long as the blade was clean!). It sometimes comes off in the quench with brine, but it hasn't affected my pattern. With Rutlands I don't bother with drying either, and I have to knock it off post quench before I can straighten.

Again, great work! Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of differential hardening lol.

Here is a picture of a tanto I am working on. This is a photo of the hamon at 320 grit. It should be pretty cool once I get it really polished.

tantow2_zpsae2c7ca1.jpg

Three bowies with nice neat Hamon. D-lish!

20130814_142955_zps09a44231.jpg

• Like 1

c02aa8af-b452-4496-aba2-9edc07d11b1f.jpg

330mm sujihiki (Japanese slicing knife). This is a quick etch at 36 grit just to see what might be there to see :).

DSC03519.JPG

DSC03513.JPG

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

sweet

taking pictures of hamon can be as hard as making them!

this is the hamon on my new 1095 nakiri -- doesn't look like much under incandescent light, but it really pops out here under fluorescent and shows the utsuri that fomed above the hamon.

nakiri033_zps4e3273ea.jpg

IMG_9828e_zps108befd1.jpg

20130814_170755_zpsbfc717ac.jpg

20130814_170739_zpsb09eead5.jpg

20130815_1704060_zps39fe7180.jpg

20130815_170419_zps2a912de1.jpg

Edited by Samurai Stu
  • Like 1

Hi all,

here are a one of mine for the record. quenched on water, the first is oroshigane, hardened without clay, starts as strong sunagashi, and then changes to sweeping nie, appolagise for the picture quality, is difficult to photograph.

regards Andy

102_1456.JPG