I want to see your Hamon

George, glad to hear that you will be making the fitings for the blade. Post a picture when you do even if it takes you a while to finish them.

John, W2 or 1095, they are both good steels for hamon and your hamon look really good. I think is the thermal cycling that makes the diference and getting to know your steel.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My latest, a W1 integral. I've been really enjoying the process of producing a hamon, and refining my technique aiming for better results each time.

Hi guys, lovely thread.   Heres one of my favourite hamons I made a few months back.    Steel is 125SC.   Jelle

Finished the W2 Camphor burl fighter.  I found that after 2000 grit sanding, liquid bar keepers friend brought out the hamon nicely after hand rubbing for 20 minutes then a quick buffing.

Posted Images

better pic of the hamon on my latest. clay and water 1095. think i'm gonna start doing more normalisations on the 1095 - i think i should be able to get more activity. sorry about the crappy pic, but at least it shows the hamon.

persian_fighter_3.jpg

persian_fighter_2.jpg

Indeed that is far away. I rarely get time to travel for my personal pleasure, and I will say this my wife will absolutley be bored. I wish we could get together, maybe a if we plan it and make sure it is set in stone, perhaps we can invite others and make a real weekend out of it?

Indeed that is far away. I rarely get time to travel for my personal pleasure, and I will say this my wife will absolutley be bored. I wish we could get together, maybe a if we plan it and make sure it is set in stone, perhaps we can invite others and make a real weekend out of it?

Hmm, sounds interesting, what would be the location? I would only suggest meeting at the next new england bladesmith's guild meeting, but cannot seem to find any info on them or they're meetings, other than about past meetings. I am open to suggestions though, a sort of mini hammer in would be awesome.

• 1 year later...

Well guys and gals I felt it was time to revive this thread as we have a few more new smiths and some old smiths producing some fine hamons. And some fine pieces of work and art.

Here is my hamon

post-20023-1234582110.jpg

So please guys and gals

Thanks Don and to everyone else. Don between you, Walter and Jesus you gus have been my inspiration for making the most beautiful hamon out there.

And Don it may be soon when I will be getting some more W-2 from you. I will keep you posted.

This chopper I'm doing is my best knife yet. I have the cement on it now. Just waiting to harden. If it comes out well I will post it. OMG my first knife I'm willing to show!

Edited by Robert Kobayashi

Edited by Robert Kobayashi

wow... i have had some much fun looking at all these hamons. i am blown away. i saved so many of them to my desktop to study later that i hardly have any room left!

here are a couple of mine..

DSC03270.jpg

DSC03211.jpg

IMG_0074-1.jpg

IMG_0029-1.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

DSC02492.jpg

thanks for sharing guys!

~Chris